And so the trial begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so the trial begins...

Today is the first day of hubby's trial. I am a witness for his defence so am currently sat tapping my heels in the waiting room. The case has been outlined and the jury sworn in. I believe they are now watching her video statement. We have a family member in the gallery but nobody else.

Scared. Really hope it will all be ok. Want our lives to get back to normal - for our daughters sake

Will update as and when I can. Thank you everyone for your support during the lead up xxx

stay strong and head up. Hope all goes well and smoothly for you.
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Hope it all goes well.

Will be torture for you going into the unknown and not knowing when or what or where or how everything is going to pan out.

Hold on in there. Keep positive. Keep the head up.

Any issues, give us all a shout and we'll try and help...

Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Thanks everyone, means a lot. Well today was an up and down day for me and obviously I was sat out alone in the waiting room with not much idea of how things were going.

The morning was taken up with jury being sworn in and watching the accusers video statement - obviously hubby found it very difficult viewing! After the lunch break the barrister called me in and decided he didn't want to call me as a witness. Must admit I was shocked and pretty frightened as I figured something must have gone frightfully wrong. It was in fact due to the lines of questioning the prosecution were intending to go down with me, he was concerned that a certain piece of evidence could be misconstrued, so has decided to take me out of the process.

I don't really know if this is good or bad, as it just leaves hubby and his character witness (an excellent witness, who is an extremely well respected individual) but I have to have faith that he knows best!!

However his accuser was cross examined this afternoon and from what I can gather she gave a few titbits that the barrister immediately jumped on, and one pretty big clanger which hopefully when another of her witnesses is questioned tomorrow will prove that they are both lying through their teeth.

Not getting complacent though, this is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with, but as you guys say, be strong

Comment

Hi, adding my support to you both, keep strong and positive !! LP
          Together We Can Beat This Hell

Comment

Hi scaredwife - adding my positive vibes, thoughts and keep strong - truth is on your side
            "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Dont worry about that. I only had my brother as a witness and some top character references, the rest of my positive evidence came from the lies of the accuser.
              Same my barrister jumped on her lies as it seems yours is. Trust the barrister.

Good luck

Comment

Hi scaredwife - Good luck for today.
                Your place on the bench (supporting your husband and seen to be) may be just as valuable as in the box.
                Keep strong and as has already been said - trust your barrister.
                All the best

Comment

Well back here again in the waiting room for day 2 - this afternoon could be hubby's time. This morning is the examination of her other witnesses.

Not very confident today. It has emerged that her side are going to tell the jury that a friend of his told them that 'he liked them young' (his accuser is a LOT younger than him). This 'friend' is not giving any evidence to support this but I don't know how damaging or not it could be to my hubby's character. Does this mean it is just 'hearsay' and won't be used? Or could it still influence the jury in some way?? It's certainly not true that any of his friends would have said that - and they have no proof since nobody is giving evidence to back it up.

Just having a sad day today - need to be strong and supportive for my hubby, but I feel like I'm coming apart at the seams how can people be so evil and malicious?

Comment

As I understand it, what one person says another person has said cannot be considered evidence. If they do come out with it, the judge should direct the jury to disregard it. With a bit of luck, the more irregularities or under the belt strikes used by the prosecuting side durng the trial, the more the jury will look at your husband favourably.
                    If you hear of planned tactics in advance again, let your barrister know asap.

I know being at trial is a horrible situation... one minute up, the next down. Try and keep strong.

Comment

Originally posted by whatsgoingon? View Post
                      As I understand it, what one person says another person has said cannot be considered evidence. If they do come out with it, the judge should direct the jury to disregard it. With a bit of luck, the more irregularities or under the belt strikes used by the prosecuting side durng the trial, the more the jury will look at your husband favourably.
                      If you hear of planned tactics in advance again, let your barrister know asap.

I know being at trial is a horrible situation... one minute up, the next down. Try and keep strong.
                      Thank you very much for that. It was not even mentioned in the end apparently, perhaps they were told it wouldn't help. The accusers first witness was cross examined this morning and got very worked up, and was constantly saying 'that isn't relevant/this isn't relevant' I don't know if that is good or not. 2 more witnesses and then hubby's turn.

Hope he can stay calm and as relaxed as possible - he refuses to eat anything but needs to keep up his strength. Could be over late tomorrow but certainly by Friday lunchtime :/

Comment

Keep strong I was on my own apart my accused advisor.

1st day or when they are playing the accusers video is normally the low point! They had her husband given evidence and he feel to pieces, as all he wanted was his Wife. Shame she'd rather say she was raped rather than hurt his feelings. Even he didn't believe her, but stuck by her so to speak.

It's an awful experience for your other half, but you gotta stay strong!!!

Justice will prevail👼

Comment

Hi scaredwife - we're here for you - in spirit if not in person - believe in the sense of the jury hugs......
                          "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your support so far. All of her witnesses have now finished being questioned. All of them seem to have messed up somewhere along the line. One of their key ones was completely destroyed by our barrister. And looks like they found out when the police officer was questioned, some procedures were not correctly followed. All good for us hopefully.

No complacency though, as hubby doesn't think the first part of his cross examination went well. I was in the gallery for the first time this week, on the advice of our barrister. I thought it was ok, but hubby didn't give much away, a lot of 'yes, no, that is correct, no that wasn't the case' so the jury didn't really get to see the real 'him'. Hopefully this can be rectified tomorrow. Although obviously we cannot speak to the barrister, it has been suggested that he may have as little as half an hour to go.

The prosecution is trying to make him look like an arrogant sod because he suggested that perhaps she fancied him and was jealous of our relationship. This is almost certainly the case but maybe he shouldn't have said that. I just don't know anymore. We've barely slept a wink all week and hubby cried for the first time last night he just thinks he has messed up and that he's ruined it for us all the only way he could have been calmed down was to speak to his barrister, but he can't do that.

Very sad night in our house tonight. Thank u so much for all of your support for us since it started, our final witness will be finished before lunch, how long does summing up usually take? Just trying to work out if there's any likelihood of getting a verdict before the end of tomorrow. Thank you all xxx

Comment

Originally posted by scaredwife View Post

The prosecution is trying to make him look like an arrogant sod because he suggested that perhaps she fancied him and was jealous of our relationship. This is almost certainly the case but maybe he shouldn't have said that.
                              My thinking would be that if the prosecuting barrister is attacking this motive your husband has put forward for her making the FA, he probably considers it is quite a relevant point and is trying to muddy the waters for the jury!

My understanding is that if your husband wanted to get a message to his barrister during the trial he could do this via a note passed to his solicitor by an usher, (but not while he is giving evidence obviously!) I believe he would be allowed to take paper and pencils in with him, but best to check first.
                              'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Working...
                              X