Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i may be naive but how exactly do cases get convictions without evidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant get my head around it either at the moment to be honest. I almost feel guilty, because it's not even all about my brother at the moment now, since joining here I have looked into false allegations, & even read Kevin Callans book in 3 days (I know, not sexual related but still miscarriage of justice) Am waiting for The murder of Billi-jo book, Error of judgement, & My fathers watch by Patrick Maguire to arrive. Google them if you are interested.
    I think so far it may be down to juries?
    Jo public are an extremely fickle bunch. I am livid today when someone on my facebook signed a petition for registered sex offenders to be banned from using facebook. I mean, what the heck??
    What about the innocent convicted that end up on that register using it? Ok none of us want genuine sex offenders prowling facebook, but there is no seperation from those & the innocently convicted by lazy jurys, so surely it shouldn't happen until someone can seperate the 2?!

Comment

The problem is that no one is prepared to accept that two such parties exist. As far as everyone's concerned, you're either a convicted (and therefore GUILTY) sex offender, or not one at all.

As a wrongly "convicted sex offender" I couldn't give a toss about Facebook, it's full of scumbags braying about how good they are and what they've got. Tossers. I despise them.

Comment

Originally posted by LS View Post
        The problem is that no one is prepared to accept that two such parties exist. As far as everyone's concerned, you're either a convicted (and therefore GUILTY) sex offender, or not one at all.

As a wrongly "convicted sex offender" I couldn't give a toss about Facebook, it's full of scumbags braying about how good they are and what they've got. Tossers. I despise them.
        That's fine in your case then, but what about the people that do like to use it? I mean, everyones taste is different of course, which is what we need to accept if we are to accept that we shouldn't type cast people, should they not be able to use it anymore? It has annoyed me tbh.

Comment

Facebook is also an excellent tool one can make use of to help to prove innocence. Iit has been used at trial and appeal. Plus it helps people whose families are split all over the world to keep in touch with each other with photos, PM and instant chat.

Yes many people abuse it but then virtually anything can be abused.

LS I'm on FB - are you saying that I am a "scumbag braying about how good I am and what I've got?" And I'm not a tosser!! SMACK!!!

I think I know to whom you specifically refer though.......
          People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

No RF, but you know exactly oo I mean!

The point is, FA's aside, once convicted you are a persona non grata in many many areas of normal life, FB being one of them. You just live life around them. Annoying I know, but then there's the other side of the coin. If you play the lottery (and win) your FA/accuser can now take you to court for a large percentage of whatever you've got. I take pleasure in knowing that as I now avoid the lottery, no one has any chance whatsoever of taking another penny off me.

Many people who use FB do so primarily to announce what they've got and what they are doing, as if to put one over on everyone else. Those are the types I despise and who I wouldn't waste a second on in real life.

The prime reason SOs are banned from FB is because of that one knobhead who met an underage girl on it and then met up with and murdered her. BUT there are better areas of life than facebook and you do have to realise that just because you like to do something doesn't mean you have to. There is nothing on Facebook that is desperately crucial to life. It is about people putting one over on the joneses, that's it's purpose.
            Last edited by LS; 23 April 2011, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately FB is used by sexual predators looking for easy game.

However I would say that millions of thoroughly decent people make use of it just to stay in touch with friends and family. And we had Chris Wittwer who decided to use it to "name and shame" people who have been charged and convicted of sexual offences regardless of guilt or innocence. I am hoping that he's been shut down - again. I have no doubt that he has been the cause of much vigilante action.

People who spend their life (he's on benefits!!!) pointing the finger at others usually have something serious to hide......................
              People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

The irony is amazing. No wonder nothing changes....
                It may be the heat but type casting people is exactly what you're all supposed to be 'fighting' against riles me? My own sister said I should not bother with places like this because it sounds like a pretty weird rse about face place. That's because she is like most people in life, everything is black n white. Her husband even used to be a prison warden. How do you expect to change peoples opinions if you assume people that use farcebook to brag. What about people that use it to keep in touch with distant relatives? My 60 odd year old step mum uses it to keep in touch with her family in Ireland. I am sure she would love to know she is an attention seeker! lol
                Last edited by Bigsister; 23 April 2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsister View Post
                  How do you expect to change peoples opinions if you assume people that use farcebook to brag.
                  That's because many DO, and it's thanks to them that evidence is gained against them for use in trials and appeals.

Yes you may have a relative who keeps in touch with family, but take a look on social networking sites and you will see that it is mostly I did this, and I just bought that.
                  Not an assumption. I may not be allowed on it, but friends and family DO investigate on my behalf and I see the printouts and screenshots for myself.

Rest assured I am not likely to ever want to sign up just to converse with your relative, but my one and only reason for wanting NOT to sign up is to avoid the multitude of neanderthals as described above.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsister View Post
                    type casting people is exactly what you're all supposed to be 'fighting' against
                    Actually, no. I don't think anyone's naive enough to think you can change opinions when the ignorant are influenced by the media instead of the facts.

No, what we on here are fighting for is for injustices to be heard and addressed. I don't think typecasting is one of them.

Comment

Are you saying you are on the SOR & already cant use Farcebook?

Comment

That's right. I'm on SOR and not allowed to use FB. Under the Terms and Conditions it clearly states "You will not use Facebook if you are a convicted sex offender."

Not only that, why do you think Register Plod visit? They inspect your pc to see what's on it.

Comment

That's right. I'm on SOR and not allowed to use FB. Under the Terms and Conditions it clearly states "You will not use Facebook if you are a convicted sex offender."

Not only that, why do you think Register Plod visit? They inspect your pc to see what's on it.
                          Jesus you're kidding?!
                          Well, it's just as well you're not bothered, or at least dont seem to be, but I think that's crazy. Next they'll stop people on the SOR from going out after 9pm as standard, not to mention night clubs!
                          How do you stop yourself getting riled by that???
                          I am a female, & nowhere near the SOR, yet it riles me..

Comment

Nope, I'm not kidding. It doesn't bother me because of the type of people on it, but when I first got my pc back (I was barred from owning a pc while on probation after sentence) the first thing register plod asked was if I went onto social networking sites.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if you are on the SOR and found to be using FB or others, they will either visit a lot more often, or worse still, apply for a SOPO (Sexual Offences Prevention Order) which means they could bar you from internet access indefinitely. And of course they'll use the old "in the interests of public protection" mantra to get it.

But that's the least of the worries. You soon realise that SOR often slams many many doors in your face, from being a partner, parent, worker or employer; and all the other benefits.
                            Last edited by LS; 23 April 2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

sounds like the results are devastating

well social networking websites or not, justice is the most important part, if things can be overturned and give the innocence the chance to clear themselves, i think that will give many people comfort... then we can discuss whether we can use facebook or whatever

Comment

Hi LS

i understand the position of the police... i totally agree with u that u think they are brought up to bring peace and justice.... but i guess thats not true... and the police are trained the same way everywhere in the world... i think i am starting to question whoever invented to concept of police... or human nature in itself

have to be strong, have to be strong!

Hi psychotic

It shouldn't make you depressed, but it should make you more aware of how it is. Most of us were brought up to believe the police are the last defence to stop false claims reaching a court. It used to be that they would be the ones who would see sense and investigate claims to see if they were true or not.

The reality is that they now regard ALL allegations as true and just collect enough evidence to get them to court.

It's a whole lot more depressive to find what you've been brought up to believe is just wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X