DNA tests on men near rape scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA tests on men near rape scene

Detectives investigating the rape of a 27-year-old woman in Peterborough are to carry out DNA tests on men living near the scene of the attack.

The victim was assaulted on a cycle path parallel to Gresley Way shortly before 0330 BST on 19 May.

A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said men aged between 16 and 33 in the Westwood and Ravensthorpe areas would be asked to provide a mouth swab.

Police have forensic evidence from the attack to compare with any DNA samples.

The woman was grabbed from behind as she walked and was knocked out.

Behavioural profiling

Medical tests later proved she had been raped.

Her attacker is described as white, aged between 19 and 23, 5ft 9in (1.75m) tall and of medium build.

He was wearing a white baseball cap, a light-coloured zip-up top and light-coloured bottoms.

The spokesman said the decision to carry out mass DNA screening followed consultation with officers from the National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA) who have carried out geographical and behavioural profiling.

He said that the DNA samples would only be used for the purpose of the rape investigation, and would not be kept once the inquiry was over. (AND THE BAND PLAYED 'BELIEVE IF YOU LIKE)

Det Insp Simon Harding said: "We have forensic evidence from the attack which can be compared to the samples we will now be taking from men in Peterborough.

"I would urge people to help by providing us with their DNA sample when asked."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/8111789.stm
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Her attacker is described as white, aged between 19 and 23

A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said men aged between 16 and 33 in the Westwood and Ravensthorpe areas would be asked to provide a mouth swab.

So why the 10 years difference? They can generate DNA in a lab now so its inconclusive evidence !!

Comment

ah yes, but don't forget the moveable goalposts!
      And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

And if the assault DID occur then the victim could well have been sufficiently traumatised to have guessed his age wrongly.
        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

that's true as well!

Comment

i guess the 10 year age thing is probably because she was grabbed from behind so didnt get a clear look at him as well as the fact people often look 10 years older/younger than their age due to factors such as smoking, stress, drug use etc...
            "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

For anyone who has never done anything wrong and would never why not have their details on record. When I was arrested I had nothing to fear about them taking mine, I would have volunteered it if asked. I still have no issues over mine being on record even as a so called bad un, cos the only ones who were bad were them and not me !!

I support a DNA database so long as its used properly - unfortunately I now know it wont be and will potentially be abused THATS WHATS WRONG

Comment

i think the issue with dna being held for innocent people is less that it is being held, but that not all innocent (and guilty) people have their dna held on record. of course the issue is not made any simpler by the fact that a database of everyone's dna is not possible since it is against some people's religions etc so once again the database would not be complete.

regarding this case, what would happen if someone refused to give a sample on religious grounds? would they then be treated as a suspect despite their being no evidence?
                "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Working...
                X