I've been raped, but I don't have belief in the justice system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been raped, but I don't have belief in the justice system

(Posted on old forum on Friday, April 09, 2004)

Can any one help me?
    I have been raped by my ex partner - he was very possessive and violent and lost his temper most of the time.
    I had been living with him for 2 years and he continuously beat me and gave me a lot of mental abuse. If I tried to leave him - he would often make me feel guilty saying he would kill himself. He was good at times, but he was very bad also. I didn?t trust him fully neither. I felt sorry for him and did have strong feelings for him. He would often make me do things sexually which I was not happy with. If I did not, he would get very upset and start arguing with me.

Anyway that is a bit of history - 2 months a go, he had raped me, he seems to have a very good lawyer. I heard the CPS are starving for cash, there is not much support for the victims. The defence can see all of my evidence, but I can't see what he has against me. He has friends who will make me look bad in court.
    He is a very good convincing liar and I don't know if I will be strong enough to cope, when it goes to trial! If there is anyone who has been through this, or if anyone has any knowledge - I'd like to prepare myself for this and would like to know what kind of questions I will be expecting the defence to throw at me. How they will try and blacken my name in court - how they will make me look bad in front of the jury. How can I be ready for this? I?m very scared that he will get away with this and will be free to do something like this again to somebody else or even track me down.

The whole justice system just seems to be very unfair and I don't have faith in the prosecution side of things (CPS).

Can anyone help?

Angel.

Here are some links to articles which have been written over the past five years (which are also linked to elsewhere on this site), which talk about the tactics barristers use. They might seem disheartening, but they will hopefully help you in planning a strategy to combat any attempts the barrister makes to discredit you. I would advise you not to be afraid to pause after any questions he/she asks that you're not sure you ought to be answering and to ask them what the relevance of it is, trying to ascertain why they're asking it, so you can combat the faulty reasoning behind what they're asking rather than allowing yourself to be led along by their questions until they have a picture of you that they can manipulate to the advantage of the defence in their summing up. I'd advise you to try to politely insist on getting across points you think are important in the face of any attempts they make to try to stop you by saying "Just answer the question" or that kind of thing.

Here are some links:

http://www.lawteacher.net/Articles/0107.htm
    http://society.guardian.co.uk/crimeandpuni...1013843,00.html
    http://www.broadcaster.org.uk/section1/tempkin.pdf
    http://www.broadcaster.org.uk/section1/rap..._rape_trans.htm

Best wishes
    My self-help articles on problems ranging from depression and phobias to marriage difficulties, to looking after children and teenagers, to addictions and destructive behaviours like anorexia, to bullying, to losing weight, to debating skills: http://broadcaster.org.uk/self-help
    And my article: How to Avoid Falling for Many False Claims or Fears of the Supernatural

Comment

I was raped too and you are sooooooooooooooooooooo sooooooooooooooooooo brave for being able to say what's happened to you!!!! Don?t give up hope!!!!!! Don?t let 'him' get away with it!!!!! I know I?m behind you 100% and I?m sure loads of other people are too!!!! Have strength, you CAN do this!!!!!

Comment

Hello sweetie. First of all you need to ask yourself are you ready for what they will throw at you in court? It may sound nuts I know but if you prepare yourself for every eventuality that they could possible throw at you, and you are still there looking the CPS in the eye and not faltering then your truth will shine through. You have to be prepared also for the fact that he could walk away, as many do unfortunately. What you need right now is as many people as possible around you to support you. The more people that troop into court with you the more the jury will see that you are a highly loved and supported person. If you can gather all of your friends and family, and as many other sources of support as you can. No matter what though the best thing you can do is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, in your heart you know what they will ask, and it will be tough I know but if you want to see justice done you have to remain strong, you know in your heart what happened and no matter how bad it gets in there, you may think that it is you on trial but it isn?t, it is him on trial. It may not seem like it but it is up to him to prove he is innocent, but anyone knows that when you look into a survivor of rapes, eyes, you can tell that they are telling the truth. Remember also that you do not have to face him directly, you can ask to be put behind a screen. Not only will this help you, but it will also show the jury that you are truly afraid of him. Also ask your solicitors what else you can do to prepare you for trial, i.e. how to dress and ask them how you should answer certain questions, victim support should also be able to help you. Your GP will also be able to prescribe you some medication to help you to sleep through the difficult period also. Above all, do you want to go through with it? If the answer in your heart is yes, then go for it, and don?t let anyone put the frighteners on you. Stay strong, and as they say 'the truth shall set you free'. Remember also that even if he does get off, mud sticks, everyone by now will have gotten wind of what he has done, you can ask for an injunction and a council house move so that he will never harm you again. There are also many rape alarms out there, and the police will be able to advise you on installing panic buttons in your property. If he even steps one foot within his injunction though, the police will be there to lead him away, and if he breaks his injunction, what else has he done?
        Stay strong sweetie and don?t be scared, you have many friends to make, and many good people who will support you, don?t let the minority scare you. Love and light and all the luck in the world
        Snoopy
        "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."

Comment

(Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004)

Thank you everyone for your advice and help... I couldn?t believe that I actually got such a great response! I will be keeping everyone up to date with what is happening.. Trial end of September, so quite a while to go yet. I have been appointed no barrister as yet. The prosecutor, (Detective Police Officer) who arrested my ex-partner is great. He has been really supportive and been keeping me updated every step of the way. At the moment - he is definitely my hero. And my friends are so supportive.. and not forgetting you guys. My family do not know as I can't tell them, it would destroy them.. so most of the time I have to keep my chin up and pretend everything is great when I visit them.

There's so much I could say... but I will be going ahead with this and remain focused - and more than likely will be asking for more advise every so often, so please don't forget me!

Love Angel.

Comment

(Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004)

Hi,

I've just spoken to the officer who will be prosecuting the defence. I asked him if there was anything that I could do to help as I want to be more involved with the case and have more of a saying. He said as long as I read my statement and am comfortable with that - ready for court - then that?s all I need to worry about. He also mentioned that the CPS will do their bit and he will do his bit ready for court. But this is not very reassuring for me as I want to see the evidence we have against him, I would like to view my personal medical records, I want to have discussions with the Barrister (who is not yet appointed), I want to talk to the CPS and mention how I feel and how we could improve on strategies. Also I would like to submit more witness statements, but they say it is not necessary. Finally if during these next few months, I collate more evidence, can this be used in court? Or will the evidence that has already been submitted only be used? Can the defence submit more evidence? Is there a limit?
            Where do I stand with all of this? I cannot just read my statement and plod along to court and rely and TRUST the CPS and the Barrister who I haven't met yet. Is there anyway that I can take more control of the situation as it does involved me heavily!

Also being the main witness - I don't wish to answer just YES or NO questions. I will need to explain myself so the jury and the judge will be able to understand me better as I will have a lot to say. Will my Barrister be asking me questions too - which will make the Judge and Jury understand my story as it will need to be justified and told in some way or another. I?m doing a lot of research myself and trying to find out the in's and out's of the justice system. Nothing seems reassuring. There must be some way to get around this. I can't believe the defence have more control over the prosecution and victims. They must be laughing and feeling quite relaxed about the situation, as they are in control! This is very difficult for me to understand. Surely someone must know the answers!

Sorry it?s a long one - but I really do require answers to these questions, if any!!!

Thank you in advance.

Comment

My hat goes off to you!!!! I too was raped Friday night!!!! I have already been made to feel like the person in the wrong by investigating officers!!!!! I feel isolated and vulnerable, I have a very good support network with family and friends but they are pushing me to carry on with securing a conviction! The man that assaulted me was a trusted friend, and I am racked with guilt and anger, I know in my heart that I want this man brought to justice but I'm unsure whether I have the courage to see it through, I know that this man can't be aloud to get away with this and I would never forgive myself if he went on to harm anyone else!!! I truly admire your bravery and courage!!!!! My heart goes out to you stay strong and fight for the rest of us out there!!! I'm sure we can stand strong together!!! Much love to you!!!! x

Comment

My name is Lindsey. I was drugged and raped by someone I hardly knew this past memorial day. I woke up the hospital the next morning with one very brief memory. I'm also having a hard time dealing with emotions and having a little distrust in the judicial system. It seems to me like the prosecutor should be asking me more questions and giving me updates more often. For being such a big part of all of this, I feel like they really aren't too concerned with what I have to say. Just like you, I am very concerned over the defense. I know that when we come to trial, they will be asking me questions that i can only say yes or no too. Depending on the way they word those questions, they could really end up making me sound bad. But one thing that I have been thinking about to comfort myself is the jury isn't stupid. If the defense does things like slamming my character, the jury will see that the defense really has nothing meaningful to work with. That is really something that you should keep in mind. By the way, you will definitely have a chance to explain parts of the story. The prosecution realizes that you are their most valuable asset. They can show evidence all day long, but, in the end, what you say is what will really stick with the jurors.
                I know it is hard to leave something so important to you up to a group of strangers, I'm feeling it too. Everyone really is trying to help you though. Besides, about 70% of the jurors will walk into the courtroom believing you automatically. Once you- the victim- open your mouth, it shouldn't be too hard to convince the other 30%.
                Good Luck with everything,

Lindsey (w0259577@selu.edu)

Comment

(Posted on old forum on Friday, July 02, 2004)

Originally posted by Lindsey@Jul 29 2004, 09:54 PM
                  Besides, about 70% of the jurors will walk into the courtroom believing you automatically. Once you- the victim- open your mouth, it shouldn't be too hard to convince the other 30%.
                  Lindsey

I have a great deal of sympathy for the survivors of rape, and genuinely wish you every success in your upcoming case. But I am horrified at your final comment about 70% of the jury automatically believing the account of the alleged victim, and how easy it should be for you to convince the remaining 30%. This is a message board not just for the survivors of rape, but also those falsely accused of this horrific crime. I have no doubt that what you say is true, and that with sex offences there is an automatic tendency for the jury to assume guilt. But this means that it is up to the defendant to prove innocence, and totally undermines the innate principle of our justice system which states all are "innocent until proven guilty". This is unfortunately why those sick individuals who do make false allegations feel that they will get away with it. And the women who make false allegations make it harder for the genuine victims to get their cases to court.

By posting this message you have advertised the ease of convincing a jury in cases such as these. As the wife of a wrongly convicted man, I am painfully aware that the jury will automatically assume guilt in cases such as these. However, I find it astonishing that as a survivor, you would publicise this! By writing this, you have totally undermined the sympathy you clearly deserve as a survivor, and it smacks of complacency and duplicity.

Comment

Angel,

I was raped one month ago by my ex-partner what you put in your initial post describes exactly my ex partner. please i know you have probably gone through all of this now and want to put it behind you but your case is so similar to mine - i am desperate to hear how your case went and wondered if you could give me some advice?

Please i am so scared of what the outcome will be - he has now been remanded until 6th jan for a plea date but im going mad dealing with this. I just dont know whats going on like you said cps tell you nothing - everyone is trying to be there but i need answers - i need to know what to be ready for. If he gets away with this he will kill me - hes completly crazy and needs help. thanks

Tara

Comment

Working...
                    X