Jurisdiction and statute of limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jurisdiction and statute of limitations

I had my first boyfriend when I was 15. I got pregnant and he called me over to get an abortaion pill. Instead he had his cousin rape me while he sat in the room. that was 13 years ago and it happend in Nigeria. he is now in the UK. I late had a daughter (I was 5 months pregnant at the time of the rape) Now he found me online I told him about the daughter in 2002. he made no effort to be part of her life. now he is harrassing me and wanting to be part of her life. I really don't want to have anything to do with a rapist who is not even sorry for what he did. I in therapy and on anti depressants but he tells me he doesn't want to hear any bull about all that. He now lives in the UK and I think he is a UK citizen or atleast a resident. I would like to sue him in civil court in the uk. I live in America. Is this possbile? I know I may not be able to get a criminal conviction but I can also sue him for child support? I was trying to be civil and didn't want my daughter to know these horrible things about her father but he keeps pushing me by trivializing the rape. anyone have any advise for me?
    If the person is truly remorseful
    0.00%
    If the person serves jail time
    0.00%
    no need to worry about it if there's a child involved
    0.00%
    Go to therapy or forgive and forget
    100.00%

I would suggest you just ignore him & change your email address/phone number/address or whatever contact details he has for you I doubt you'd be able to sue him for Child Support if he's in the UK & you're in America.

Sorry to hear your story hope you can forget and move on, leave it all behind xxx

Comment

Sorry, forgot to add that I didn't vote, because the option I'd go for wasn't there.

(my option would be something along the lines of "Yes. It is something you can get over, and you can." )

Comment

The option I would have said is "no, it's something you can never get over as it changes you as a person".

Comment

i dont think you ever get over it but you learn to cope most of the time and get on with your life. if you can survive rape then what cant you survive? its not easy, you never know what will trigger the memories but it definetly makes you a stronger and more resilient person, so long as your able to ask for help and not feel embarassed or ashamed to admit that you are human and sometimes cant do everything on your own.

i cant possibly know what you should do. have you spoken to your therapist about it? if he is in the uk then how often would he be able to see his child? which would be easier, him seeing her occasionally, or having to fight so he doesnt see the child, or changing your number and moving? also you have to consider whether he poses any risk to you daughter, if this is the case then social services can provide a contact centre so he can see her but they will know she is safe. that could possibly be a way to allow your daughter to see him, without seeing him yourself.

i dont know about services in the usa but could you ring an advice line like citizens advice our family services to get information about your options and rights?
          "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Working...
          X