Trying to decide,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide,

I was raped when I was eleven. Now I'm grown and have a daughter of my own. I try to be very open and honest with her about sex so she can make healthy choices and I don't know if I should tell her I was raped. It's not something I'm open with, only my husband knows. I feel like I should sweep it under the rug and never mention it to her but part of me wants her to know the danger and to be careful. Is there anyone out there who is going through or went through something like this? I would love any opinion on how to handle this.

Hello Unregistered
    I am lucky because I have never been raped or abused, but I will be certain to explain to my daughter that there are people out there who will do these things, given the chance, and that she should not put herself in a vulnerable situation.
    If you are in two minds about revealing the rape, you do not have to. It sounds as though you are committed to ensuring that your daughter has a healthy and responsible attitude to sex, which would include not allowing herself to be vulnerable. You do not necessarily have to reveal the trauma of your own ordeal to her in order to get your point across.
    I know that I am not in a similar situation to you, but felt that your question warranted a reply.
    Saffron

Comment

personaly i wouldnt tell her,it will only cause her stress and probably fear.
      i understand you want her to be aware of the dangers etc etc but there are amny ways to do this without putting this extra load on your daughter.
      it wouldnt achieve the aim im sure.in fact it could well make her very afraid of men,which isnt healthy. imo of corse.

Comment

Working...
      X