Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closure or moving this site my thoughts

hello everyone.
    Some of you may remember me here on the site, i used to come on and give advice as often as i could, something which i enjoyed.
    I know the topic has been closed but i only just received a message from the webmaster about the issue, and still feel i need to respond.

Whilst this site has been a great source of support, one of which i enjoyed giving support on, i actually stopped providing help except when of course diane asked me to respond, because of the threads which centered around those that were wrongly accused of rape.
    There were a lot of threads saying that women wee crying rape, i for myself personally although i wanted to help out, (i run a support group myself) i had to put my emotional health first.Reading threads describing most women as crying rape ws highly distressing, i felt that for a rape support group it should either focus on injustice in rape trials, support for those who have been raped, or have the board set up for those who were wrongly accused not the same topics all on one site, as with so many different opinions and strong emoions it was only a matter of time when the it would become very heated.

I personally think the site is a good idea, but those that feel women cry rape shouldnt be responding on the threads where there were survivors of rape and vice versa, as this doesnt sem to do either party any good neither does it provide any answers.

Its not a matter of who is right or wrong, its a matter of rape being wrong, full stop.

So on this note and given the fact that it is a tremndous amount of stress on diane to proivide so much support and hats of to you diane for doing so, i fell the board could be moved but put into two seperate sites, if one site was based on those who felt they were wrongly accused and one site for survivors of rape, i would certainly step back in and help out on the site for survivors of rape once again.

I definatly feel though that the site shouldnt be shut altogether, sites like these are a lifeline for people in all walks of life.

Blessings

Snoopy [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blush.gif[/img]
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."

Thanks for your opinion.

It isn&#39;t providing support in itself here that&#39;s stressful for me. I was just becoming concerned about the issues I mentioned in the board closure thread.

I&#39;ve asked the webmaster whether he thinks he could have totally separate forums on his site, one for rape survivors and one for the falsely accused. But what about the idea of a warning message?
    My self-help articles on problems ranging from depression and phobias to marriage difficulties, to looking after children and teenagers, to addictions and destructive behaviours like anorexia, to bullying, to losing weight, to debating skills: http://broadcaster.org.uk/self-help
    And my article: How to Avoid Falling for Many False Claims or Fears of the Supernatural

Comment

Hi Diana and Snoopy

I can understand why survivors might find it distressing to hear of women who falsely"cry rape".

In the same way, those falsely accused/convicted find it distressing to read the experiences of those who genuinely have been raped. After all, to the rest of the world, they are "lumped in" with those rapists, despite their innocence.

Snoopy, you seem to think that only survivors get upset when people respond insensitively to their posts, but this is not the case. about 2 years ago, just when my husband had been sent to prison for a sex crime he didn&#39;t commit, i posted on here, asking for advice. i was given a 3-word reply: "appeal the conviction." unhelpful, ill-informed, and insensitive.

However, I have found some of the debates, in particular in relation to rape trial justice for both parties, to be interesting and informative. After all, this is a discussion forum&#33; I would therefore suggest that the two topics are kept together, but a "trigger" warning could be put at the headings of potentially distressing posts, or there could be a warning at the banner of each message page. Maybe a "guidelines to posting" section, where it could be explained that some of the posts or the replies are emotive, and may cause upset.

Diana, I think you are amazing, you are clearly devoted to helping the people who visit this site, and I wanted to thank you. I have particularly enjoyed your insightful, well-informed comments, and reading much of you excellent advice.

Saffron

Comment

I totaly agree with you , we have to have a open mind to fight our cause, you cant fight one without knowing the other side of the argument,

Comment

Working...
        X