so, this happened...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, this happened...

Ok, so something happened to me about a month ago, I haven't told anyone and am feeling the need to talk about it and hear some peoples thoughts on what happened so have found this forum... Sorry it's so long, if you can be bothered to read it all and let me know your thoughts then thanks!

I was on a night out with a friend and really drunk, my memory of the evening is kind of blurred. We brought a couple of guys back to my house, I can't really remember how we met them, and were drinking more and chatting all together at my place. After a while I decided to go to bed and said to the guy I'd been chatting to that he could sleep in my bed the night. Obviously this was a really stupid thing to do, I have done stupid things like this in the past when I've been out partying and shared a bed with some random I've just made friends with. I think, looking at it now, the fact I've put myself in these dangerous situations is to do with a self destructive aspect of my personality I have. On this occasion, I think I was feeling quite lonely, I just broke up with my boyfriend a few weeks before this night and probably liked the idea of having someone in bed next to me even though I didn't want to have sex with him.

When we got into bed we were kissing, which I was fine with, then he took my hand and put it onto his crotch. I hadn't even realised he was naked but he must of taken his clothes off when got in and I was too drunk to notice. At first for a few seconds I started touching him, then I thought to myself, why am I doing this if I don't want to, so I pulled my hand away and said 'sorry I don't want to' and then turned away so my back was to him with the intention of going to sleep.

He then began taking my clothes off, and I know at this point I should have told him to get out and just been really firm about saying no straight away (though of course i'll never know what would have happened now if i had, he might have not stopped anyway, but i think if i had been really firm at that point and told him to leave then it might have stopped). I can't remember clearly, I think I might have told him to stop when he was taking my clothes off but I know I definitely didn't try to make him stop properly. I think this again has to do with this self destructive thing I have that I mentioned before. In the past I've self harmed a lot, and I also have always drank to much and frequently black out from drinking. I think maybe I was letting it see how far he would go in a kind of self harming way... like maybe part of me wanted him to hurt me... I don't know. Anyway, I regret it now, and actually haven't gotten drunk since and don't ever intend to get drunk like I use to again, so I won't put my self in a stupid situation like I did before. But if I'm honest part of me did want it I think, though I'm ashamed to say that, and I know that there are so many people on here that have had awful things happen to them and I don't feel I should even use the word rape to describe what happened to me because it doesn't compare and I maybe could have stopped it.

After all my clothes were off he got up and put a condom on, at that point I did start saying no properly, and pushing him away. He said 'it's ok i'm wearing a condom' and i said, still no. He was behind me and I was pushing him away and saying no repeatedly, I think I might have said 'I mean it, I'm saying no'. I kept saying no and pushing him away and then he said 'ok, i won't put it in you'. Up till that point I'd been holding my legs very tightly together so he would have had to get pretty physical to pull them open, but when he said 'ok, i won't' i very stupidly believed him and relaxed a bit. Then very quickly it happened. It was very sudden and hard and I genuinely had believed him and wasn't expecting it so at first i yelled out in surprise, and then (and i'm really ashamed about this) I didn't know what to do, so for a couple of seconds i made noises as if i was enjoying it, just for a couple of seconds and then i thought why am i doing that and stopped and just lay there and waited till it was over.

Afterwards, i said 'you said you wouldn't. I said no.' and he said 'i know, sorry'. and then i told him to get out and he said 'just let me sleep for a couple of hours and then i'll go'. I said he could sleep in the living room. he said 'just let me sleep here, i won't lay a finger on you i swear'. I said no, he had to sleep in the living room, 'he kept saying 'i won't lay a finger on you i swear' but eventually he left and slept in the living room and then left the next morning.

Sorry for writing so much. Like I say, it happened a month ago and I haven't told anyone. I feel like it wasn't properly rape because maybe I encouraged it and didn't try properly to stop it and maybe even on some level wanted it, so don't feel i would have the right to use such an extreme word. It made me think a lot about the way i've been drinking and about my attitude to sex in the past. I think in the past i have had sex that i didn't really want to when drinking and just went along with it. like i say, i don't ever intend to get drunk again and will certainly be much more careful about what i do with my body. i feel pretty horrible, well, sometimes i think i'm fine but then i have mood swings and feel really ****. Anyway, like i said, i haven't told anyone so just wanted to get it off my chest and maybe hear other peoples thoughts, as i know it's a normal thing to blame yourself but i think in my case it may actually be right to partly blame myself. thank you for bothering to read it all if you've made it this far...

Hi Lauren,
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience.

I think we are all fragile creatures. We owe it to ourselves to look after ourselves and not put ourselves into danger. We all make or have made mistakes and it's the learning from them that's important, so please don't feel I'm judging or moralising.

This evening has made you think about your drinking and past sexual behaviour, so I would draw something positive from it.

Not only does heavy drinking make you very vulnerable, make you behave in ways that you would not otherwise and give out wrong messages (as you've sadly found out) but it's been proven to be very dangerous to women's healthin the long term. If you really want to drink less, you may have to change your social habits or the people you hang out with.
    Be honest - would you have brought a total stranger home with you and later invited him to share your bed even though you had no intention of having sex with him had you been stone-cold sober? If the answer is 'yes', then I would suggest that perhaps you are also too trusting.

The guy you invited back was obviously an oppertunistic s***t. What if he'd been a sadistic maniac or a murderer?

You might find councelling or some other kind of therapy will help you become stronger, more discerning, more assertive and in control. Learn to love and respect yourself. You deserve it - you're unique!

My advice would be to put this down to experience - don't let it ruin your life, but start doing things differently.

Keep coming back on here when you need to. I'm sure you'll get other advice, perhaps not so hard as mine.
    Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Lauren - you said no. He ignored you and carried on - he raped you.

Have you been able to talk to anyone in RL? I think it would help you tremendously to.

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/ are excellent and will be able to help you make sense of what you are feeling.

If its helping you to discuss it here then we are happy to help, but although a couple of us have been through the same thing - we aren't experts!
      And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

You said no. He did it anyway. That makes it rape. It doesn't matter what you did or didn't do before that point, the moment you said no he should have stopped. I'm sure you're head is all over the place at the moment. Part of you probably wants to pretend it didn't happen so you're blaming yourself but the other part of you knows that if a friend told you the same thing had happened you would definitely know it was wrong. I would highly recommend getting in contact with rape crisis. They can provide counselling, group therapy and even have mental health ISVAs (independent sexual violence advisor) who are knowledgeable about both rape and mental health. You won't be pressured to report it but if you chose to then they can support you through the process. Regarding you're drinking, I have drunk excessively for a long time and ended up in some pretty messy situations, one of which resulted in rape. You are only responsible for your own actions (drinking) not the actions of a man who takes advantage of your vulnerability. If you want help to cut down or stop drinking then there should be a service in your local area (try typing your borough and alcohol services into google). If you don't want to tell anyone in your social circle or family (and that's completely your choice) then please take advantage of services like rape crisis and this forum. Keeping all those emotions bottled up isn't going to help in the long run.
        "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum.
          You have been given some great advice already which I can only repeat - you said no - he carried on = rape. Saying sorry doesn't make it all right.
          I work in the field of mental health and have mental health issues myself - some of which are very similar to some of yours. I would echo the advice given that you seek help from counsellors or therapists specially trained in mental health and rape support. If you don't know how to go about it, your GP should be very sympathetic and will know which organisations in your area will be best for you.....
          Hugs - MH
          "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Hi Lauren, I agree that you've been given some good advice.

I agree that this wasn't your fault, you said no. I would seek help sooner rather than later. It gets harder to seek help the longer you leave it in my experience. Have you got any family or close friends you could talk to in RL?

Be kind to yourself and take care.

ML x

Comment

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your words of support, it helps I still haven't spoken to anyone in real life, I don't feel able to talk to anyone I know about it now, but I have been considering talking to someone professional like a counsellor or something like a few of you have said. I've been writing quite a lot and focusing on my work to keep me busy, and still haven't gotten drunk again since it happened and I know it's only been a month but I do genuinely feel like I won't ever let myself get that drunk again.

Thank you again and I hope you are all doing ok in your own lives. x

Comment

Hi Lauren,
                Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

You definitely need to talk to someone in RL.

Take care and look after yourself.
                ML x

Comment

One of the things that makes it harder, is the only person I want to talk to in RL is my ex and we broke up a few weeks before it happened. I was really sad about the break up anyway, and now I want to talk to him about it and have his support so much but he's not in my life any more... I just don't feel able to talk to any of my friends about it right now. I have looked into counselling though and am definitely thinking about it. X

Comment

please do - its good to talk!
                    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

like RFLH said - talking really does help but you need to talk to the "right" person and that should be a counsellor specially trained in this area - your GP or CAB should be able to point you in the right direction and tell you how you can get a referral - or maybe you could self-refer - all the best
                      "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Working...
                      X