Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was this rape? Could this explain how I've been feeling all this time..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this rape? Could this explain how I've been feeling all this time..

Hi all,

I'll start by saying that I'm 19 years old and have suffered from anxiety,depression and low self esteem for a number of years now. I am constantly making bad life choices that I know will lead to failure or hurt. I have tried for so long to figure out why I continue to let myself down and have had cbt and counselling but nothing has seemed to work. I had a normal upbringing with nothing significant that would make me feel like this. However, after thinking about my past recently I finally remembered...

Back when I was 14/15 I was hanging around with the wrong crowd at school, my best friend at the time came from a rather dysfunctional house and her parents let her do whatever she wanted. So I would tell my mum that I was going to hers for a sleepover and we would go out to illegal raves until around 5 in the morning. I never took drugs but I did drink when I was there. At one of these raves we met a guy (I'll call him Tom although that's not his real name) who was 21 at the time. He was a nice guy and even now I hold nothing against him, although it was a bit unusual that he would want to hang around with girls as young as that..

Anyway we made friends with him and got his number and every time we were bored or wanted to go out we would go round to his flat. Like I say I think for him he just enjoyed our company (as young as we were) however his flatmate always seemed a little bit creepy to me. He would sit there staring whilst we were all having fun and talking. Apparently he was a family friend of Tom's and allowed him to live there for a fairly cheap price so that's why he lived with him despite their differences. He was also 21. To cut a long story short, one night we went round to the flat without asking first whether Tom was in. When we got there his flatmate answered the door and said he would be back soon and we should come in and wait. He had a friend round and they were drinking so we thought we might as well join them for a bit while we waited. The next part of this story is actually really hard to even write down, because it still fills me with shame and regret..

After a few hours had passed me and my friend had had quite a few drinks and it was getting quite late. Tom had still yet to return and as it turns out he had actually gone out for the whole night, little did we know at the time. It was late by this point and we were tired. Tom's flatmate and his friend said that if we liked we could use both the rooms to go to sleep because they had planned to stay up for most of the night. As it would have taken us a good hour to walk home we decided to take up their offer and go to bed. As I got into bed I heard the flatmates friend go into the room that my friend was in..I've already said that she was from an unstable family and she was a lot more off the rails than I was as I'd only had sex with one other person before this she had been with quite a few guys.

As time went on I could hear them having sex and all I was thinking was I need to leave and get out of here but I can't leave her. So I stayed and tried to get to sleep. But shortly after the door opens and Tom's flatmate walks in. He came and started talking to me and because I din't want to be rude seen as it was his room I didn't tell him to leave. This is when he approaches the bed and starts kissing me. At this time in my life I had absolutely no authority and didn't feel confident enough to tell him to get off me. So I kissed him back because I didn't want him to get upset or angry. Then he got into bed and started taking his clothes off, took my clothes off and climbed on top on me. I still to this day don't know why I didn't tell him to stop, but I'm so sure he could tell that I wasn't into it. It lasted for what seems like hours and it was the most uncomfortable experience of my life. He was almost suffocating me and was breathing really loud and sweating all over me. He asked at one point why I wasn't into it in an aggressive manner, but didn't even wait for a reply before he carried on. After it was over it was the early hours of the morning and the sun was coming up. I got dressed immediately and told him I was going home. He simply shrugged. So I went into the other room to get my friend and we left.

When we got outside she was laughing and joking about her and that guy and I said nothing. I never returned to that flat or spoke to Tom for a while. I saw his flatmate in the pub one night about a year later and I heard him say very loudly to his friend that he'd had sex with me. I said nothing and walked off feeling physically sick at the sight of him. Since then my I have only ever chosen sexual partners who disrespect me and devalue me. I see sex as a performance and have never had an orgasm because I simply don't enjoy it. I have a good group of friends now and managed to get into uni this year but it just always seems like something isn't right. Nice guys physically repulse me and I have never had a serious relationship, nor do I ever see myself succeeding at anything. Does anyone think that this could be related to that experience? I have genuinely blocked it out of my head for years until the other day. I feel no emotion about it just numbness.

Any input would be appreciated, thankyou for taking the time to read this
    Last edited by Saffron; 6 December 2012, 01:38 PM. Reason: adding paragraphs for clarity

Did you ever think maybe you should speak to woman Dr trained to help you get over the pain and at 19 your only starting out also if you were drinking underage and that guy gave it to you OR if were under the age of consent in England and Wales is 16 then then it is rape by law,sounds like you are hurting im sure there will be other people who can help more then I can.

Comment

Hi Sarahbr

I have thought long and hard before writing this reply.
      The real answer is that only you can decide whether it was rape or not.
      I have had a few pretty unpleasant sexual encounters, when I have been drunk or under the influence of something. I have not enjoyed them in the slightest and I think my lack of pleasure was pretty clear. I sometimes felt soiled and sordid afterwards: as though I had been used and taken advantage of.
      I don't count myself as having been raped though.
      This might be a generational thing......I am in my 40s and have always thought of "rape" as being forced to have sex against your will. The definition nowadays has changed and the term Rape now includes being co-erced/too drunk to refuse/persuaded (anything for a quiet life) or being an unwilling partner but not expressing it.

It sounds to me as though this man was certainly behaving in a predatory manner, which is clearly not acceptable. Furthermore, you were a minor, which makes his behaviour even more abhorrent. I don't think you should feel guilty for not saying "No" clearly. When one is 15/16, one is usually eager to placate older people and possibly even scared of saying No to them.

Don't allow this to ruin your relationships in the future. Stay away from sex for a bit and make an effort to form platonic friendships with males.

I have a feeling that this reply would enrage the WAR brigade. But I do think it is a sensible response.
      Sarahb, please let us know how you get on.

Comment

I think this is a very sensitive and sensible reply to a very brave posting which I and I'm sure many others can relate to.
        Sarahbr..... please don't let this distressing event ruin your life. We can let our life experiences pummle us into the ground or we can walk on straight ahead (albeit limping a bit).
        Take care

Comment

Working...
        X