Right to Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to Info?

My attacker's bail is up in a few weeks. Knowing how many rape cases go to trial, the chances are that the CPS will drop the case (no forensics either). 'He' was told my full name on arrest but I have been told nothing about him really. If the case is dropped am I entitled to know what 'his' version of events were? I know this would be upsetting but with still having a 5-6 hour loss of memory of that night, it may help me fill in some of the blanks that are driving me crazy.
    Why aren't the police able to tell me his name and yet the 'victim' who feels scared and vulnerable, has her details given to the assailant - doesn't quite seem right to me!!
    Although I obviously want 'him' punished and not able to hurt someone else, in lots of ways I'm praying that the case doesn't go to court. I want to be able to draw a line under this and there be an end and don't know if I could cope with a court case and all that involves. The nearer the bail date gets the harder it seems sometimes, mid July will soon be here but not being sure what to expect is so difficult.

Yes, it doesn't seem right that he should be told your full name!

Knowing his version of events probably won't help fill in the gaps, because it will probably be full of lies. He'll probably have made up a story in which you did all kinds of incriminating things and he's the victim in all this, and it might be more hurtful if you begin to wonder whether you really did do any of the things he says you did. It would be nice to know if he tripped himself up in his story while the police were interrogating him, but I don't suppose they'd tell you that.

Are you confident that you're going to be able to draw a line under this if it doesn't go to court, baring in mind you've been worried that you might meet him again?

I wish I could be of more comfort, sorry.
    My self-help articles on problems ranging from depression and phobias to marriage difficulties, to looking after children and teenagers, to addictions and destructive behaviours like anorexia, to bullying, to losing weight, to debating skills: http://broadcaster.org.uk/self-help
    And my article: How to Avoid Falling for Many False Claims or Fears of the Supernatural

Comment

Sarah, I really feel for what you're going through. My attacker's bail is up again in June, as it has been extended once already. The waiting is the most awful part, because it makes me feel stuck, if that makes sense. I was known to myine though, so the whole thing about him knowing me is a bit different. Just be proud of yourself for making it this far. It was so brave of you to report it. I found a local service that tracks my case with the police on my behalf, so that I don't have to contact the police myself, and the people that phone me with updates are sympathetic and experienced in these sorts of situations. I don't know where you are from, but maybe there is something similar available from your local rape crisis service? If you're from the West Yorskhire area I could be more specifically helpful.

As for what might happen if it doesn't go to court.....please don't think of it as a reflection on you in anyway...I believe you, I'm sure everyone else does too. We all know the man who raped you has lied. Unfortunately, we live in a system that can't prove it. That's not your fault, and it isn't very comforting, but be proud of the strong person you evidently must be. Keep us posted!

Stace x

Comment

Thank you both for your replies.
        I'm going to contact Victim Support today as they have details of the case and will ask them to phone CID for an update. I was last told by the police that they were expecting telecommunication evidence back very soon (this was over 2 weeks ago). It just baffles me that the decision lies with the CPS and they have to decide within the next 4 weeks and yet if the police don't have this evidence in to the CPS (and the police have said this will be there main line of enquiry) then how can a decision based on ALL the evidence be made?
        I know I probably sound paranoid but it makes me wonder if the police already have what they want but just haven't told me. We all know that they seem able to tell the 'victims' very little. I know this is for good reasons but it makes me feel so in the dark.
        I'm determined this time to go back to work at the end of June. My GP has said many times that I may need to stay off until after the bail is up but I really can't see that helping. I will only be back 2 weeks before it and my colleagues are all aware of what happened. Afterall, whichever way it goes I don't expect it will be easy to handle but hopefully being at work leading up to it may help to take my mind off things a little. I have been off since 21st Jan and need to go back sooner or later.
        Will let you know if I find out anything new.
        Stacey, thinking of you as your attackers bail must be up very soon, keep strong.
        xxx

Comment

Thank you, 28th of June for me, although extended once already so may be again!!!!!

Comment

Sarah,

I just wanted to say that you are very brave to have reported this and my heart goes out to you - I have just gone through the wait and pain for the last 8 months and sadly my case was dropped in the end due to lack of evidence - although I know I did everything I could. The animal after 8 months imprissonment on remand walks the streets again with a pathetic 15 month lesser charge - but believe me hun you have to try your best for your own sanity I know its hard and you feel lost in all of this but you deserve happiness and your attacker needs to be punished.

I feel for you I really do but you seem a strong person dont think you cant cope with court - you are capable of doing anything you put your mind to you owe it to yourself - The worst is over remember that - now is the time to clean it all up and move on. I know you can do it Keep strong!
            If you ever need to talk or needs some support I am here for you.xx Tara

Comment

HI,
              Just an update. My attackers bail date was yesterday. He has been rebailed for a further 2 mmonths. The police have told me that they feel the chances of the CPS saying charges should be pressed is unlikely (no forensics or medical evidence as I wasn't up to reporting it until 2 months later).
              It means a longer wait again for me but at least I can get a little satisfaction knowing he too will have to sweat for a bit longer even if it all comes to nothing in the end.
              Sarah

Comment

It's a pity he's likely to go free. But at least you know you did all you felt able to do. Let's hope that enough people are suspicious of him that at least some people are protected by being warned to avoid him in the future.
                My self-help articles on problems ranging from depression and phobias to marriage difficulties, to looking after children and teenagers, to addictions and destructive behaviours like anorexia, to bullying, to losing weight, to debating skills: http://broadcaster.org.uk/self-help
                And my article: How to Avoid Falling for Many False Claims or Fears of the Supernatural

Comment

I haven't been on here for a while as it felt that the best way forward was to try to avoid the site and others like it. I suppose I now have to admit that it doesn't really make any difference and it has all caught up with me.
                  'His' bail is up again in just over a week and it looks like it wil be renewed yet again as the police are still waiting for a report to come back so the file hasn't reached the CPS yet.
                  I spoke with the detective leading the case recently, for the 1st time she asked me how I think I'll feel if the CPS should decide that it should go to trial. I told her that is what I want. she reiterated that this may not happen as they will be unable to prove that an assault ever took place.
                  Has anyone got any info or experience on rape cases reaching a trial without any forensic evidence? It would be my word against his although statements from others would state that I was in no state to consent even if date rape drugs hadn't been used.
                  Sometimes I feel like this is moving to the back of my head a little (still in my thoughts every day though) and then a flashback, strange dream or something said or done by someone brings it flooding back and it feels like too much to cope with.
                  The dream I had last night made no sense at all but was so clear. I have been feeling pyhsically sick since I woke from it and can't get the details out of my head, it's driving me crazy.

Comment

Well, 'he's' been bailed again!! This time for 3 months and the date the police have set is 6 days away from the 1st anniversary of this whole mess (also less than 2 weeks from Xmas). Why do they have to be so insensitive, surely they could work out that this period of time will be traumatic enough as it is?
                    It sounds like this will be the last time the bail gets extended as the file is going to the CPS this week. The police make me so angry, it feels as though they consider the perpetrators more than us.

Comment

Hello Sarah

In answer to your question, plenty of rape and sexual assault cases do go to court without forensic evidence, based on one person's word against another. It largely depends on what the police/CPS policy is where the attack took place. This is particularly true of historical cases, and cases involving consent issues.

Just because there is no forensic evidence does not mean your case definitely will not go to trial. Plenty of cases do result in trial and conviction without any more evidence than the victim's word - look at such public cases as Jonathan King's.

I can promise you that the police do not consider the defendant's feelings more than yours. I can't think why it has taken so long for them to refer the case to the CPS. I admit the timing is unfortunate, but I can't imagine that it would be deliberately insensitive. Victim support should be able to offer you some help to cope.

Good luck. I hope you get the closure you are seeking.

Comment

I expect your court case is coming up soon, if it's still going ahead. It's a shame it was scheduled for so near the anniversary of what happened. I hope they didn't do that deliberately, hoping it would put you off proceeding. I hope you get the outcome you want. And I hope your husband's being more supportive than he was.

I've recently written a self-help article about healing from rape, based on one or two books I've read. I don't know if it would help you at all, but it might be worth you finding out. Then you can maybe tell me what you think: [url=http://www.broadcaster.org.uk/section1/scenarios/rape.html">Healing from the Trauma of Rape.[/url]

Some of it's about emotions like fear of going out or being alone, some's about flashbacks and nightmares, and some's about making life a bit more comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                        X