Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple attack gas man sexually assaulted me, I helped convict him, denied compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple attack gas man sexually assaulted me, I helped convict him, denied compensation

Hi all

I am writing on behalf of my sister as she struggles to be concise.

In 2008 a man entered my home to carry out gas works and assaulted me.

I told the police and the result was no further action.

Later in 2010 police asked me to be a court witness as further reports had surfaced from other victims. I agreed.

I was shouted at, called a liar and alcoholic by his defence in front of a jury.

I stood my ground and he was found guilty of multiple sexual assaults, including a 15 year old.

I applied for compensation from the CICA but they refused as I claimed more than 2 years after the incident.

I saw no reason in claiming at the time of the incident as the police took no further action.

Surely it would need to be proved I was in the first place a victim before I could make a claim?

How can I fight this injustice as a layperson one parent family?

Thanks in advance

Hi Kelly

I am not sure whether I am talking to you or your sister, but for the sake of response I will assume I am talking to the person who was assaulted by the gas man.

Have you considered talking to the police again and attempting to get charges brought for the assault on you? I would guess that because you were a witness and not the complainant, that is why you have not been granted financial compensation.

Most survivors of sexual assault and/or rape do not actively seek compensation. It makes them feel as though they are being paid for being sexually abused.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I'm sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience and also court. I know how horrible defence barristers can be

CICA will waive the 2 year cut off if there was a reason you could not apply before. When did you become aware that you could claim compensation? Were you unable to make a claim because you were unwell? These are the types of situations they would waive the time limit for.

The CICA do not need proof in the same way as courts do. It is done on a balance of probabilities so you don't need an attacker to be charged or found guilty to receive compensation.

If they still refuse after you explain why you didn't apply before you could involve a solicitor but obviously that would cost unless you qualify for legal help.
      "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Thank you all for help so far

I found out about CICA after the court case, the police never told me when I first reported it. A constable said I could/should take it up with police first.

CICA refused twice so far but will try again, my brother may issue court proceedings if CICA refuse again but he does not know for sure who to issue proceedings against - CICA? police? attacker? probably CICA.

Comment

I got comp after the two year cut of. I didn't know about it and I didn't really care either. The girl for vic support insisted I sign the form, so I did. It was 3 years after the crime but he'd just been convicted.

On a more personal note, when the comp came thru, I took a nervous break down under the pressuser of getting paid for being raped. I ended up it hospital because I felt so dirty taking it.
          Laugh at your problems, everybody else does. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

Comment

compensation

I am a rape victim and have no shame in that I have applied for the compensation. As much as no money will EVER make what happened anywhere near okay, I am trying to see it from the point of view that this s*** thing has happened, you might as well get the most out of it. For me, the compensation will mean I can afford to run a car and won't ever have to walk around on my own in the dark again. (assuming it gets accepted of course!)

Comment

I have no objection to true survivors getting conpensation - as you say, nothing will make up for the attack - what I do object to is those that lie for the money.
              And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

You shouldn't feel ashamed. All i was saying was that It effected me really badly. For me the money personified what happend and everything was tainted. Of course it was all in my head but it sort of felt like i was say "look at my nice new rape coat? inst it lovely"? I knew where and why the money came from and if i spent anything i remembered everything. I hope you dont feel like this but it happens.

Compensation was explained to me like: Its not money for being raped, its the money that the government gave you to make life easier because they failed to protect you.
                Still didn't help tho. In the Euro zone people aren't compensated, but they are counciled instead. Maybe if i had of seen someone after this happend i wouldnt be up at one am unable to sleep because i heard a noice.
                Laugh at your problems, everybody else does. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly View Post
                  Thank you all for help so far

I found out about CICA after the court case, the police never told me when I first reported it. A constable said I could/should take it up with police first.

CICA refused twice so far but will try again, my brother may issue court proceedings if CICA refuse again but he does not know for sure who to issue proceedings against - CICA? police? attacker? probably CICA.
                  There are plenty of ambulance-chasing solicitors who would be only too pleased to help you. Just ask that nice Mr Google about "compensation for sexual abuse" and you'll find a whole list of them. That's what most liars do before they make their false allegations so they can see how to set out their shopping list.........
                  People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Surely the conviction, although post your assault, would be grounds to verify that in all probability the assault on you took place.

CICA should be paying compensation in these circumstances. I would personally attempt to claim again and if no joy then get the ambulance chaser (is that not American style?) of your choice onto it.

Money is money. It's only bits of paper. Receiving money in these circumstances is compensation, not payment for being raped. I know the lines get blurred and the head fills full of questions and doubts but you are entitled to the money. You are not entitled to be raped. Taking the money by no means changes anything that has happened, it could however give you a holiday to relax and de-stress or help with debts. A positive should come from a negative which is why the compensation is there, it's the Yang to the Ying (balance).

If money as means of compensation was not being offered then what would you propose the alternative should be? The 'state' has limited means and financial compensation is just about the only thing they can offer other than mental help.
                    Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Originally posted by lawlessone2009 View Post
                      If money as means of compensation was not being offered then what would you propose the alternative should be? The 'state' has limited means and financial compensation is just about the only thing they can offer other than mental help.
                      Hello Lawlessone,

I understand that Germany (and so possibly the rest of the EU countries....but better not get into politics) offers victims of sexual abuse a course of therapy instead of financial compensation.

Obviously I'm not coming from a victim's viewpoint, but in principle I can't see a problem with this solution: it removes at a stroke any financial motivation for false accusations and helps genuine victims.

Unfortunately I can't find an official website to back this up, however I did google:

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com...child-sex.html

Edit to add I've just noticed that Amre has already said this in #8; sorry....
                      Last edited by Casehardened; 10 January 2012, 05:34 AM.
                      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

The statute of limitations for sexual abuse crimes will be extended to 30 years from just three.
                        Oh dear.....a step backwards......
                        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                          Oh dear.....a step backwards......
                          Yes, I agree, but at least they had the good sense to specify a limit.

I don't believe there is presently any limit in the UK for sexual offences (apart from the obvious one that if the accusation goes back too far historically the accused is likely to have passed on!)

Comment

good grief - what a can of worms that is about to explode with a 30 year limit.

Want a holiday? New kitchen? Car? Think of a name from 29 years ago ......
                            And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Originally posted by RFLH View Post
                              good grief - what a can of worms that is about to explode with a 30 year limit.

Want a holiday? New kitchen? Car? Think of a name from 29 years ago ......
                              Ah but they'll only get a course of counselling for their trouble so not much incentive there to tell porkies

However genuine victims may well take this offer up.

Comment

Working...
                              X