still waiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still waiting

I am now in my 29th month since my arrest. My case went to cps in January and then back to police in February with requests for more enquires to be completed. It still hasn't been returned to the CPS by police and we are now in May, is this all usual, I am just so distressed all the time. There cannot be evidence as it didn't happen so what can take so long .

Nothing unusual here very sadly but I am sorry that you are still in limbo... Try and follow the time trusted advice from our past members and keep busy, stay healthy and remember that 80% of these cases are NFA'd ( eventually ) so there is plenty of reason for you to be positive.

The time this is taking for a decision is certainly toward the upper end of the scale that we see here (the average being around 6-9 months) but I've seen longer. It's a how long is a piece of string question unfortunately and not unusual.

The CPS are generally much quicker to respond than the police because they basically just read the file the police have sent them and make a decision as to whether or not there is a realistic prospect of conviction

It's not unusual for the CPS to ask the police for more work to be done if they don't feel they can properly make that decision on the information provided and as you already know, it is the police that work at a snails pace.

Bear in mind that all public services are stretched and if the police have to arrange interviews or contact other agencies such as schools or social services then the speed of their response will also be a factor.

I read a story in the local paper a couple of weeks back about two young drug dealers, caught red handed, who were basically let off by the judge because it took so long to get the case to court ( over 2 years as I recall )and the police couldn't adequately explain why - except to say that their forensics were outsourced so it's not just sexual cases that seem to gather dust

Stay strong, be cool and please keep us posted.
    For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
    https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Originally posted by totallylost View Post
      I am now in my 29th month since my arrest. My case went to cps in January and then back to police in February with requests for more enquires to be completed. It still hasn't been returned to the CPS by police and we are now in May, is this all usual, I am just so distressed all the time. There cannot be evidence as it didn't happen so what can take so long .

Hi Totallylost

I always look at it this way, the longer the case takes the more chances it will go no where, as if they had the evidence to charge they would have done it already. The police have probably put your file at the bottom of the pile because they no it will be NFA'd and they are not in a hurry.

Pond31

Comment

My personal Experience I was waiting 24 months or two years to go to court. Only to find the evidence they had supported what I was saying Vs What "well won't call it a person" but it was saying. I had been on bail for all this time and rebailed about 3 times. If the stress and anxiety is not enough on the arrest they seem to prolong it as much as possible. I was charged and then to crown court. Safe to say a jury of 8 men and 4 Women found me not guilty after the longest 10 days of my life.

Have you been charged and are waiting a court date or is this one of the many thousands of people on bail for petty my word against theirs ?

Comment

I was on bail for 19 months then released under investigation until now, case has been to cps but sent away for more work to be done, that was three months ago and it still isn't ready to go back to cps again for a charging decision

Comment

I was on bail for 19 months then released under investigation until now, case has been to cps but sent away for more work to be done, that was three months ago and it still isn't ready to go back to cps again for a charging decision

I'm sorry to hear this. Somebody told me that when I was about 18 months in waiting that if they had the evidence they would of charged by now. That kept my hopes up slightly but unfortunately it's just not true. I waited 18 Months in a my word against her's scenario. I was charged when I thought the charges would be dropped. I would still prepare yourself for the worst news. I was so hopeful thinking they must not have anything if they haven't charged yet but sometimes it can be a ploy from them to try and get an early guilty plea. Which I might add I was advised to do. I sweared at my soliciotor and said I will not admit to something I have not done. They can be dragging it out for a platter of reasons DNA evidence takes time to compile as does any witnesses etc. Don't think because it's been a while they haven't got anything your just leading yourself in to a false sense of security and if the worst does happen like me them words "you are going to be charged" the news won't hit you like a 10 tonne freight train because at the back of your mind you have readied yourself for the worst. In any case I hope it is dropped and you can get on with your life stress free. It's a horrible thing to have to face. Accusations of this matter ruin lifes and even end some.

Comment

Working...
            X