Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A year since the court case... and still not resolved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year since the court case... and still not resolved!

Hi I went to court over a year ago to get my rapist put inside, he is inside now not for what he did to me as we did a plea bargain with him. In my books, he is inside what he did to me but not like officially if you see what I mean. I attended the sentencing where the barrister (who I had never met) and the police officer comforted me and talked to me.
    At the sentencing, Natalie Carter told me as well as the other families of victims that she would write a letter explaining the sentencing to me. But 9 months later I have still heard nothing. I still don?t understand the sentencing but I would like to. Do you think I should let things lie or write to the barrister asking her what the sentencing meant?
    Secondly, my favourite people the police, when my case was dropped in a plea bargain I was devastated and heartbroken. But the police said to me they would support me all the way with my compensation claim, however much I did not want to do it. Eventually they managed to persuade me to claim, but again 9 months later they still have not wrote the police report for my compensation claim. Victim support has kept asking them for it but they have had no response, should I try and get in contact myself? Or let victim support do their job?
    I don?t want to pressurise these people but if they have made these promises to me, I should pressure them to move forward with these things, its not like I haven?t given them time is it? HELP NEEDED!!!

I think it all depends on how important you think these things are, and how upset you think dealing with the people and their possible excuses for not doing anything might make you. But then, sometimes people are just so busy they forget to do things until they're reminded. It certainly wouldn't be unreasonable of you to ask them yourself instead of waiting around. And if you do, they certainly can't accuse you of nagging them! It's your right to know about the sentencing. It does seem unfortunate that your case wasn't taken into account. And as for the police report on your compensation claim, Have you asked Victim Support why they don't seem to be getting anywhere? I don't think asking the police yourself could really be called pressure, since it's not as if they've been nagged about it every day. And it's not as if you're asking them to do something that would take a lot of time and effort. I'm not sure what Victim Support would think of you asking the police yourself. Perhaps you ought to ask them when they last asked the police about it and what happened, and try to find out how seriously they're taking the matter themselves.
    My self-help articles on problems ranging from depression and phobias to marriage difficulties, to looking after children and teenagers, to addictions and destructive behaviours like anorexia, to bullying, to losing weight, to debating skills: http://broadcaster.org.uk/self-help
    And my article: How to Avoid Falling for Many False Claims or Fears of the Supernatural

Comment

Working...
    X