sentance for rape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sentance for rape

Would anybody have any idea what the prison sentance would likely be for a person convicted of rape.There was no violance no dna no ripped cloths, this would be a first offence the only thing is he pleaded not guilty because he did not rape her.The victim even said on her own admission he did not hurt her
    Thanks

Hello Sad Person

Rape sentences can be as high as Life, but I believe they usually start at around 6-8 years. Pleading not guilty tends to increase the sentence, as the defendant/convicted person has put the "victim" through the trauma of a trial, and has cost the legal system a good deal of money.

From your other posts, I gather your brother is in custody awaiting sentence. Presumably this is for the collation of various reports: the Pre Sentence Report on your brother, and the Victim Impact Report on his "victim". When sentencing is postponed, the judge still usually gives some indication of whether the accused can expect a jail term. For example, if the judge knows his sentence will be a long one, he usually gives a warning such as "be prepared to accept you may be spending many years in prison."

At the end of the day, no-one can guess what the sentence will be. The guidelines I have given you of 6-8 years are fairly typical, I believe, but it totally depends on which judge you have. Additionally, if the trial was heard by a circuit judge, it is likely the judge passing sentence will be a different one, who will not have heard the trial, and may therefore not have heard the testimony.

Good luck. I do know what you are going through, and you are in my thoughts.

Saffron

Comment

Thanks saffron
      x

Comment

Working...
      X