Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can be done about libel and slander

Hi
    Just wondering what options I have with regards to FA broadcasting their claim to mutual friends etc. I have not been charged but they have sent messages to people regarding the case and accusations warning them.

Do I have to wait until I'm cleared, what options do I have currently and after I'm cleared. Surely they are not allowed to spread rumours especially to potential witnesses. Has anyone successfully done something during and after investigation.

Cheers

Hi, Not Guilty 1000.

I'm very sorry to say that we had this issue too. An FA telling anyone who would listen the detail of her complaint with dozens of people reading her posts on social media, posts being shared far and wide and there’s not a thing can be done about it. Proceedings for libel and slander are eye-watering ly expensive, and there’s no point in suing someone who has no assets anyway.

If they are potential defence witnesses, a word with a lawyer might be a good idea. Interfering with an investigation is a crime which, though she is unlikely to be prosecuted for it, you can ask if she can be told officially that her actions are inappropriate and she must desist. After the case is done though there won’t necessarily be such restrictions but it will burn itself out.

It’s an appalling situation to be in, but we have just had to find comfort in the fact that what she is saying is not true and the people who believe her don’t matter. It’s incredibly hard to do that when you’ve got to live in the same social circle, but sadly there is no option.

I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you something more positive, but it will stop eventually.
    'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

Unfortunately, freedom of speech comes with a price. You can no more stop her from spreading lies than she can stop you from protesting your innocence.

Frantic is certainly correct about the expense involved in bringing civil defamation proceedings and offers good advice regarding witnesses, but I will add that there is also a chance you could lose a civil case; While it's certainly defamatory and harmful to your reputation, unless you can be confident that you can prove what she is saying is untrue, you might just end up out of pocket.

It might help to study the Esther Baker case, John Hemming successfully sued her but she had slandered him all over twitter ( rather than just to people she knew ) and he had a strong case, she only included him in her wild stories after she had written to him asking for help and he had basically palmed her off. He never even met the woman.

Baker is now bankrupt I think so it's likely Hemming is tens of thousands out of pocket.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sex-abuse.html

On the other hand, Freddie Starr found himself £1M out of pocket when he sued his accuser and the judge decided she was telling the truth.

I can dimly remember someone spending around £1000 having a solicitor send out threatening letters to an accuser about a facebook post - this was before police were involved, the offending post was taken down but then she made a complaint, plod arrested him... and the posts went back up.

As ever though, keep screenshots if possible - if her story changes or she mentions coming into money, this could be used to undermine her credibility if necessary,

Contact people ( not witnesses ) privately if you wish to set the record straight, don't plaster it all over social media.

Hang in there.
      For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
      https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Cheers guys as always great advice.

Comment

Working...
        X