Family member falsely accused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family member falsely accused

I’ve been reading through some of the forum for the past few weeks and thank you for all your advice. I’m in Scotland so I realise it will be different

My story
    My close family member got falsely accused a few weeks ago, got arrested early morning and kept in overnight. Got the on duty solicitor who seems to be very good and experienced in these cases which seems to be really lucky. He was on a night out and ended up going back to the girls house, someone he knew, where it was fully consensual and she is now saying it was rape, she’s saying she was too drunk to consent.
    Long story short he has been charged due to the medical evidence and now waiting for a court date. The police have his phone and he’s been for a line up (which seems pointless since they know each other) been trying to get on with things as normal but very difficult. Been told could take up to a year for it to go to court. Just trying to process everything and be prepared for the long fight ahead of us.
    If anyone’s got any more tips or advice it would be much appreciated. I can’t believe so many of you have had to go through this.
    Having hope reading about all the not proven/ not guilty verdicts
    Thank you.

Hi Scj,

I'm sorry that you find yourself here but am glad that you see some hope in the stories others have left behind.

While it's true that the vast majority of cases are never prosecuted, it's also true that around 50% of contested cases end in acquittal and some get thrown out before a jury has to give a verdict so there is plenty of hope yet but whenever there is to be a trial, the often repeated advice is to prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Apart from having a lawyer that you have confidence in, there is literally nothing more important than having the love and support of family and trusted friends so I'm glad to hear that your family member has both.

Preparing for a trial is about as tough as it gets so it's important to be physically fit, make sure you all eat well and exercise, even if you don't feel like it. You will find that you already all the mental strength that you need.

Many people will tell you that their FA's struggled under cross examination, it's not easy speaking in front of a jury even when you are telling the truth but ultimately, standing up straight and keeping your cool under the pressure will show the jury that you can control yourself.

Other well worn phrases worth taking on board are

" A jury find it easier to convict someone they don't like"

" The best prosecution witness is often the defendant "

This isn't the busiest of forums and you may find some further advice on the accused.me forums on facebook.
    For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
    https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Working...
    X