Me Too Social Media Witch hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me Too Social Media Witch hunt

Myself and the FA are both students at university. I was falsely accused of rape in October. I met a girl on a night out after drinking, later she reported me to the police it was a consent issue where she agreed to sex (and was fully engaged in sex) and then withdrew consent, she also agrees that there is a point during sex where I asked her if she was ok and when she said she wasn't we stopped. I had a lot of evidence for my case such as messages from her asking for sex and cctv of us kissing which she didn't mention in her report. I went in for a volunteery interview with the police and months later was given an NFA without being called back in again. Since then this girl has attended events she knows I will be at, has told a lot of people that I raped her, and she has now reported me to the University and Student Union, the Union has immediately taken her side and refused to hear my side of the story after multiple attempts I have made to speak to them, the university has been a lot better in providing me suppourt and are going to do another full investigation on the balance of probabilities which I am fairly confident I will win. The University has given me her statement, and I believe this is different from what she told the police based on what they let slip in m volunteery interview. Is it possible to get her original police statement?

The problem now is that on twitter the Student Union has started/joined a social media campaign with a hashtag that is gaining popularity quickly #m1e1t1o 1o1o1n1 c1a1m1 p1u1s (I included the ones and spaces so this post does not show up in a search giving more ammunition against me) a lot of girls are sharing sexual assault stories and peoples with multiple accusation profiles are being named and shamed all on twitter. I haven't seen my name there yet, but the girl has tweeted about me without putting my name down and people in the student union are like-ing and sharing her posts. Most people who have heard my side of the story have believed me and I believe even strangers after hearing both sides and seeing evidence would take my side. Is there anything I should be doing to prepare for this attack on social media?

I am currently trying to get a copy of my police interview from the solicitors. I don't want people hearing her side without hearing mine, I've considered dropping out of uni, but I think it's better I stay and defend myself and not have wasted the past 2 years of study. I have a good suppourt network and even if some of them believed her initially they all believe me now after hearing my side and seeing evidence.

Hello and welcome to the forum,

First things first; you (or rather your solicitor) would only get to see her statement if you were charged and thankfully you were NFA'd.

In here an NFA is the goal for which members aim, (in theory the FA can appeal but we've never had an instance where this has succeeded) but in social media land I don't suppose facts mean much only emotions? (The question mark is because I only dip a toe in FB, nothing else)

The hard facts, if you can get anyone to listen, is that the police have investigated the allegation and found 'insufficient' evidence to justify a prosecution (or in other words they don't believe the FA, regardless of what her statement was) All you can do is keep reminding yourself of this.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by David13 View Post
      Myself and the FA are both students at university. I was falsely accused of rape in October. I met a girl on a night out after drinking, later she reported me to the police it was a consent issue where she agreed to sex (and was fully engaged in sex) and then withdrew consent, she also agrees that there is a point during sex where I asked her if she was ok and when she said she wasn't we stopped. I had a lot of evidence for my case such as messages from her asking for sex and cctv of us kissing which she didn't mention in her report. I went in for a volunteery interview with the police and months later was given an NFA without being called back in again. Since then this girl has attended events she knows I will be at, has told a lot of people that I raped her, and she has now reported me to the University and Student Union, the Union has immediately taken her side and refused to hear my side of the story after multiple attempts I have made to speak to them, the university has been a lot better in providing me suppourt and are going to do another full investigation on the balance of probabilities which I am fairly confident I will win. The University has given me her statement, and I believe this is different from what she told the police based on what they let slip in m volunteery interview. Is it possible to get her original police statement?

The problem now is that on twitter the Student Union has started/joined a social media campaign with a hashtag that is gaining popularity quickly #m1e1t1o 1o1o1n1 c1a1m1 p1u1s (I included the ones and spaces so this post does not show up in a search giving more ammunition against me) a lot of girls are sharing sexual assault stories and peoples with multiple accusation profiles are being named and shamed all on twitter. I haven't seen my name there yet, but the girl has tweeted about me without putting my name down and people in the student union are like-ing and sharing her posts. Most people who have heard my side of the story have believed me and I believe even strangers after hearing both sides and seeing evidence would take my side. Is there anything I should be doing to prepare for this attack on social media?

I am currently trying to get a copy of my police interview from the solicitors. I don't want people hearing her side without hearing mine, I've considered dropping out of uni, but I think it's better I stay and defend myself and not have wasted the past 2 years of study. I have a good suppourt network and even if some of them believed her initially they all believe me now after hearing my side and seeing evidence.
      Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in. I had a look at the threads for that hashtag and couldn't believe what I looking at - extraordinary!

I'm currently researching incidents of FA and social media shaming for an upcoming documentary I'm directing. I wonder wonder whether it might be possible to talk to you off-the-record about your experiences as part of my research? Our conversation would be in complete confidence and there'd be absolutely no obligation to take part in the project. It would, however, be extremely helpful to talk to you.

I wonder what you think? I can be contacted on huw@summerfilms.co.uk

Best Wishes,

Huw

Comment

Working...
      X