No announcement yet.

Solicitor advises guilty plea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A difficult decision but I'm wondering about the figures you were quoted as I always thought that the reduction in sentence was 1/3 if the guilty plea was entered early enough in the proceedings??

Notwithstanding this, as Wakingnightmare suggests, pleading guilty will definitely result in a sentence while pleading not guilty will only result in a sentence if the jury agree on your guilt.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
      A difficult decision but I'm wondering about the figures you were quoted as I always thought that the reduction in sentence was 1/3 if the guilty plea was entered early enough in the proceedings??

Notwithstanding this, as Wakingnightmare suggests, pleading guilty will definitely result in a sentence while pleading not guilty will only result in a sentence if the jury agree on your guilt.
      My barrister has said the 1/3rd off coupled with the fact that mitigation will carry more weight with a guilty plea, remorse etc would lead to a reduction in sentence. They are confident I would lose the case with it being 1 word against another, and the nature of the allegations, teacher student. A life on the register and several yrs behind bars is appearing to be my best option despite not having done anything wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by wakingnightmare View Post
        I've looked to find what this was.

I believe your Solicitor and Barrister are duty bound to point out the "benefit" of pleading guilty.

You speak in your original post of your daughter. Pleading guilty will have consequences for her - practical you will be a self-confessed sex offender whilst you may get early release you will not necessarily be allowed contact with her. She will face the stigma of a Dad who said he did it. No one will care that you only admitted it to get a reduction on your sentence.

I know it's incredibly easy for me to say but you can't admit something you didn't do
        My partner and daughter will stand by me as they know that I have done nothing wrong, according to sol and barr it boils down to 5yrs or 2yrs without them, lesser of two evils!

Comment

Originally posted by panic View Post
          My partner and daughter will stand by me as they know that I have done nothing wrong, according to sol and barr it boils down to 5yrs or 2yrs without them, lesser of two evils!

You will be a self confessed sex offender and she will be a minor. You may well be considered a risk to her. Your partner may not be in a position to stand by you if SS become involved

Comment

Exactly. Are you sure they just cannot be bothered with going through with a trial?

You will be a self confessed sex offender. SS will become involved and you may still live without your partner and child.

You could tell the judge that they are trying to persuade to you plead guilty when (if) you factually are not and you no longer have any confidence in them and wish to change representation.
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

How can you be remorseful for something you haven't done? Pleading guilty to a sexual offence has all sorts of repercussions and if you aren't guilty, it's a lie and therefore perjury as well. Explaining the pros and cons us one thing but if the barrister and solicitor are putting pressure on you it sounds as though you need fresh representation.
              'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

Hi, although you mention there is no physical evidence I'm guessing there must be some tough things brought up in your meeting that would lead the solicitor and barrister to suggest pleading guilty. If you are able to shed light on this maybe others could help but I appreciate it can be difficult to share too many details.

Comment

I have always been under the impression if its just word against words it will always be 50/50 chance find hit hard to see how it could be any other odds.
                  I would rather do an extra 10 years then admit to something I have never or would never do. All the best with all you do.

Comment

I'm sure your family would rather you maintain your innocence than be a self confessed sex offender. If my OH we're convicted I'd be out in the world searching for any evidence I could my hands in that ***** was lying. As long as you maintain innocence it isn't over, you can always at least try and appeal.

If you plead guilty you'll spend a whole life wondering if a court would have found you not guilty at least go down with a fight, there's a good chance you won't go down at all.
                    Who you become while you are waiting is as important as what you are waiting for -Nicky Gumble

Comment

And if you plead guilty you will not be able to get support from those who plead not guilty and maintaining their innocence.

A guilty pleader staying in this group and others would not be fair on the people who maintain their innocence from day one and of course, we would then be associating ourselves with a self-confessed sex offender.

Nobody on here can make that decision for you. I can understand an elderly person who faces dying in prison pleading guilty when factually innocent, but a younger person doing so, would cast doubt in my mind as to innocence.

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                        And if you plead guilty you will not be able to get support from those who plead not guilty and maintaining their innocence.

A guilty pleader staying in this group and others would not be fair on the people who maintain their innocence from day one and of course, we would then be associating ourselves with a self-confessed sex offender.

Nobody on here can make that decision for you. I can understand an elderly person who faces dying in prison pleading guilty when factually innocent, but a younger person doing so, would cast doubt in my mind as to innocence.
                        RF, I do completely understand that logic but I am purely trying to spend the least time away from my daughter as possible. I am very much an innocent man caught up in all of this nonsense. I have spoken to an anonymous helpline that has told me I would probably be barred from having unsupervised access and living with my daughter anyway. This is something I cannot face and leads me back to the maintain innocence and fight stance that I have had all along. I am running out of fight, and this could have been an easy way out.

Comment

Look at it from your daughter's point of view and your family's.

She goes to school. Kids in the playground "hey "X" your dad's a rapist. He admitted it......" Bullying.......

Comment

Don't plead Guilty!!!!

Originally posted by panic View Post
                            I've been told I will be charged in 10 days when my bail is up. It's been going on since August and so much has changed already. Still can't believe they're going to charge with nothing but her statement.

I've been told to use the union's solicitor, Thompsons. Don't suppose anyone has any experience of them?
                            If you know that you didn't do this then for heavens sake do not plead guilty....!!!!

Speak with a new solicitor, try Mr Chris Bennett 07526-190535 or 07710-972627 he will give you advice even if you are with someone else....

It's not a bad thing to be charged, look apron it as you being given the chance to clear your name, the truth will come out in the end especially when it comes to the courtroom.

Look for as much supporting evidence you can although you won't actuall know what is being said and who is supporting this until you are charged....

Keep your chin up and take full support knowing that you have your loved ones by your side....

Dantes

Comment

I've not heard very good things about Thompson solicitors, sorry.

In which area will the trial be held?

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                                I've not heard very good things about Thompson solicitors, sorry.

In which area will the trial be held?
                                Its in SW, in a few months. Dreading it, I've decided to fight on, just losing the will at the moment! This whole thing has had such a huge effect on me and my family.

Comment

Working...
                                X