Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused and stressed

Hi all

It's been a few weeks now since I was arrested, and things have been going around in my head non-stop the past few days, so apologies if I am going over old ground. I just feel the need to post this right now.

Having read through many of the posts on here it seems that most allegations are either historic (where there would be no DNA evidence), or come down to consent (where I assume that DNA evidence is largely irrelevant).

In my case, I am accused of sexual intercourse, however no sex took place. The complaint was made within 24 hours of the alleged incident, so I assume the accuser would have been checked for DNA. When it is presumably found that there is no evidence of intercourse, does anyone have experience of how likely the police are to continue investigating, or to charge in the circumstances?

Many thanks

T C

Originally posted by TorquayChris View Post
    Hi all

It's been a few weeks now since I was arrested, and things have been going around in my head non-stop the past few days, so apologies if I am going over old ground. I just feel the need to post this right now.

Having read through many of the posts on here it seems that most allegations are either historic (where there would be no DNA evidence), or come down to consent (where I assume that DNA evidence is largely irrelevant).

In my case, I am accused of sexual intercourse, however no sex took place. The complaint was made within 24 hours of the alleged incident, so I assume the accuser would have been checked for DNA. When it is presumably found that there is no evidence of intercourse, does anyone have experience of how likely the police are to continue investigating, or to charge in the circumstances?

Many thanks

T C
    Hi Chris, I think it is perfectly normal in your situation to feel confused and stressed!
    I was arrested around 3 months ago (bail date is in 2 weeks!) and for the first few weeks i couldn't eat properly, I was shaking alot and I just couldn't think about anything else!
    Ok so 3 months in and i still feel like ****, however i have managed to start eating reasonable again...stopped shaking and even though it is the first thing on my mind when i wake in the morning, i'm doing much better!

Unfortunately mine is historical abuse allegations, and i'm really not clever enough to advise you etc

What i will say is just stay strong...and keep posting if it helps!
    I know sometimes you feel helpless, but I think we are all in the best place for advice on these matters!
    I wish you all the best Chris!

Comment

Really want to echo what aidy has said first few weeks are the worst. OH had his interview over three months ago and we've had full happy weeks since. We still horrendous days of fear and why us but its so much better.

It may sound silly you go through the five stage of grief when you or somebody you love is falsely accused. Reading my diary over the last few months i can certainly spot denial, anger and bargaining in there.

Stay strong, remember your not the one lying, your not the one that needs to keep their story straight, hold on to that. Hopefully you'll get NFN soon.
      Who you become while you are waiting is as important as what you are waiting for -Nicky Gumble

Comment

If I can offer any words of advice or support. I was accused some weeks ago but from reading this forum and other resources online and multiple case reports every case is individual, and you can't compare one case to the other! I wouldn't say I'm a lay person, but I've have seen some trends that historical cases or even cases reported outside of a 72-hour window seem to be more problematic because then it comes down to claimant versus the defendants 'word' and there is often the lack of key forensic evidence. As long as what you said is honest and didn't try to fabricate any stories there will be an evidential record in the forensics: in your case DNA. In my case, we did 'did-the-deed' but everything the claimant said happened before, during and after is false and this will no doubt show up in an evidential record in forensics.

On another note, there are around 16,000 of rapes reported to the police a year in the UK. That works out to around 90 a day and using the CPS statistics around 7-10 of these will be a false accusation. The attrition rate in rape cases is high, and the national average of those charged (goes to court) stands at around 18% or about 3,200. Out of around the total 16,000 rape cases there are just over a 1,000 successful prosecution a year so less than 10%. From looking at other statistics around two-third of cases are drop at the investigation stage. I know this is a back of an envelope calculation, but I'm trying to put it in perspective.

I know this might not help but as long as you are confident in what you say and didn't lie you should be okay. I realise people will say other things but there are worse things that can happen. I've spoken to different people over the past few weeks, and it's surprising what comes out. A friend of mine shared a story that I did not know about that he had committed a serious crime and was likely to spend a good few years in prison. He had done it, and he managed to get off due to pleading guilty and other circumstances. As he said to me -- just think what it feels like when you know you've done wrong.

Also, as the solicitor said to me the police get a number of cases like this each week, so it is nothing new to the police, but you've just go to go through the motions while on bail and wait; however long that might be.

Don't compare your case to others and don't surmise. Just remember -- "no matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up and handle it!"

Prism

Comment

Originally posted by TorquayChris View Post
          Hi all

Many thanks

T C

Time lengths.....in regards to Investigations..... Nfa/Charging decisions etc.......vary......and nobody could possibly tell you how long exactly your investigation is likely to take.......if there is no DNA evidence then it can just fall to who is believed.....

Yes they would have checked the accuser for DNA......

As for your emotional state.........You will feel very confused....... In fact you will likely feel every negative emotion known to man........

This is very normal..,......

However....... You MUST remain Strong..........

Yes You will be feeling Down.....perhaps depressed.........

After all........you are being falsely accused........

Perhaps if you have not already....take up the gym.....or even just jogging.....this really can work wonders......you will be amazed........

ALTHOUGH you Are CONFUSED and are being catapulted with many deep emotions.... NEVER blame yourself.... You are an UNFORTUNATE VICTIM of being falsely accused........

Try and focus......NEVER LOSE FAITH IN YOURSELF......you Are stronger than you think.....

your MIND can play games and can even be your enemy...... Which is why ONE has to RE CONDITION thier mind........

You will have to roll up your sleeves.....dig deep.....and be prepared for the long haul......these hideous ordeals......can be very lengthy......

you WILL WIN.........

You may be faced With MANY hurdles......throughout this ongoing ordeal.......

However....... One day.......there will be a time........when you will glance back at your traumatic experience......... And YOU will BE PROUD......to know that you accomplished this traumatic life experience/hardship.....

You will COME through.....this........where others have Failed........

I know its not for everyone but i cannot emphasise excersise enough.......it really does work wonders.....to your body and mind.......it can relieve stress..depression...... Releases endorphins.... And is natural....

Please do remember.... That .....YOU ARE NOT ALONE..........

If ever you feel down......just POST A thread.... and members will support you.......

And LASTLY.......STAND TALL......STAND PROUD......and Show your FALSE ACCUSER YOU are never going to be Beaten....

YOU ARE INNOCENT.......

NEVER GIVE UP........

Perservere and YOU WILL WIN....

I sincerely wish you all the best pal

Regards
          A12
          Last edited by Arsenal12; 24 January 2016, 06:05 PM.
          Turn the pain into power. ::

Comment

Keep in there buddy.

Ask anything you want, plenty of good advice on here.
            Recommended Solicitors --- www.arcadianlaw.com
            Proven results for people accused of False Allegations

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the support.

Just to let you know I have managed to get an appointment to see Gerry McDonald, who I know is very highly recommended on here, so hopefully I will feel a bit more relaxed after I have spoken to him.

T C

Comment

Working...
              X