Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rape Monitoring Group - New Statistics

Good afternoon

Just seen these figures published for rape crime stats for police forces for 2014/15.

https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov...-data-2014-15/

In my force in 2014/15 out of all allegations, 80% were NFA'd, 9% No Crimed, 11% charged after which 5% convicted, with the other 5% being Not Guilty'd.

Obviously this will vary depending on the area you live.

Just thought I would share the ratios. Due to the societal climate I was expecting the charged figure to be much higher than it is. Understandly any accusations have to be considered by the police, and I don't know any of the facts of the cases involved, but it would seem that filtering through the justice system the standard required to hit a conviction does filter out quite a lot of the potential FAs.

Still the reputational damage of such an accusation due to the accused not being granted anonyminity if it hits the courts is where the real pain from FAs arise.
    Last edited by TotalNightmare; 5 November 2015, 11:36 AM.

Very interesting reading, and thanks for posting the link!

There is quite a bit on there to take in, so only briefly read it etc

Did I read correctly?
    I'm sure one part states the police can give a nfa result, without it going to the cps?

Maybe someone could answer that?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidy View Post

Did I read correctly?
      I'm sure one part states the police can give a nfa result, without it going to the cps?

To my knowledge I believe that is correct,

(Refereing to my case) My LA solicitor said that when my False accuser made the historic Rape allegations, the police could have given a NFA decision without going or referring to the CPS.....

When I asked my LA solicitor how the police would come to a NFA decision without first going to the CPS he said that the OIC would liase with a police inspector or someone with higher authority...

And if they could see clearly that the False allegations were a bag of tosh......then they would make the decision of NFA

He also said in most cases the police have a "thresh hold code test" and if it meets their criteria then they forward the file on to CPS...but he said because of the "current climate and media attention" most police forces don't just risk giving a"immediate.NFA".in which case they forward the file to the CPS anyway.....so the police can't get blamed....

That's what I was told by my solicitor anyway......

Regards
      A12
      Last edited by Arsenal12; 5 November 2015, 12:58 PM.
      Turn the pain into power. ::

Comment

Did I read correctly?

Indeed.

In my area - there was was only 17.5% sent to CPS.

Then a further 6.5% of the total were NFA'd by CPS once referred, resulting in 11% of the overall being charged.

82% were NFA or No Crimed even before reaching CPS.
        Last edited by TotalNightmare; 5 November 2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Does this apply to historical child sex abuse claims?

Comment

Does this apply to historical child sex abuse claims?
            The figures are for adult and child rape incidents. They actually separate the data in the reports between the two, and the conviction rates for incidents involving children are even less than they are involving adults. At least in my area, haven't had a chance to look at the rest yet.

Comment

Very good motivational website

Thought I'd share this site with everyone..... It about motivating.... Making one feel better....inspirational.... Getting through pain.....learning to be come stronger....Videos etc

Very worth having a browse....

Certainly helps me when I'm feeling down

http://www.fearlessmotivation.com

Or just type hungry for success on you tube and click on the album great inspirational videos on there.

Regards to all
              A12
              Turn the pain into power. ::

Comment

Missing Data

There appears to be an important statistic missing from this data:

'Average Time Someone Falsely Accused Is Left In Fear For Their Lives Whilst Police Drag Their Feet'

Comment

Just looked at some of the totals for England & Wales.

It is interesting that between 2010/11 and 2014/15 reported adult rapes have increased by 195%.

2010/11 - NFA & NCs - 82% of all reported before charge
                  2014/15 - NFA & NCs - 88% of all reported before charge

So even though there has been nearly double the number of allegations, the proportion being charged has actually decreased over that time.

The Jimmy Saville effect?

Comment

Does this mean if it goes to CPS somebody finds it credible? Xx
                    Who you become while you are waiting is as important as what you are waiting for -Nicky Gumble

Comment

Interesting, not sure if I'm repeating previous data, but looking at one particular geographical area, the stats break down as follows, if I'm reading the figures correctly...

In 2014, of all the reported crimes (incidences of rape against adults and children combined), just under a third (28%) were reported to the CPS. Of those that were, slightly over half (54%) were charged by the CPS and of those prosecutions that successfully reached court, just 24% were convicted.

Based on the published figures, that translates as - of the total number of incidents reported to the police, under 4% of accused parties (defendants) were successfully prosecuted. In other words, a tremendous number of reported crimes go no further than the police and of those cases that are referred to the CPS, just over one fifth are put behind bars. Rather sobering and food for thought in this most complex of subjects...
                      Last edited by angstman; 7 November 2015, 12:09 AM.

Comment

This also makes for interesting reading. It would suggest that the police 'massage' the figures somewhat. Make of that what you will...

...The picture across England and Wales

In its 2013/14 inspection programme, approved by the Home Secretary under
                        section 54 of the Police Act 1996, HMIC committed to carry out an inspection into the
                        way the 43 police forces in England and Wales record crime data. The inspection
                        was carried out between December 2013 and August 2014.

It was the most extensive of its kind that HMIC has undertaken into crime data integrity. Its purpose
                        was to provide the answer to the question:

“To what extent can police-recorded crime information be trusted?”

The national report found that the police are failing to record a large proportion of
                        the crimes reported to them. The under-recording rate for sexual offences was 26
                        percent, compared with 19 percent for crime in general.

The position in the case of rape and other sexual offences is a matter of especially
                        serious concern. The inspection found 37 cases of rape which were not recorded as
                        crimes. In addition to under-recording of sexual offences (including rapes) as crimes,
                        the national rate of incorrect decisions to no-crime rapes was 20 percent. In the case
                        of rape no-crime decisions, in 22 percent of cases there was no evidence that the
                        police informed the complainant of their decision....

Comment

Working...
                        X