No announcement yet.

BBC documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that this programme, helped break the typical stereotypes of rape. When most people hear the word rape. Thinks of a helpless woman being dragged off the street into a park and beaten up. That does happen but not very common. I personally hate the term rape as an act of violence! As you think if extreme violence for instance. Punching, kicking use of weapons or threats to) in most rape cases extreme violence is not used. There was a comment made early on in the programme, oh it's not as bad as rape". Or he almost raped her" I wouldn't want to label it as rape as rape is a strong word. oh it's not fair to compare the defendant to someone who dragged a woman off the street"

These comments, highlights some of the many difficulties real rape victims go through. As you have to overcome and try to Challenge some of these steroidal views, thoughts and believe regarding what constitute rape and the issue of consent. As it's clear that she did not consent, any reasonable person can she that she did not give any indication of consent and she was unable to. How can she say no with his penis is in her mouth. Yet if he can convince a jury that he had a reasonable belief that she was consenting, he would be acquitted. This is where the law fails us!! However I can understand the purpose if that, is to protect some totally innocent men who truly had a reasonably belief and are innocent. Yet the law fails to protect so many true victims and allows guiltily perpetrators to walk free!
    This is my personal opinion)

And finally my last point. A comment was made by one if the student guys who said. The D) he doesn't look like someone who you would think would do something like that"
    My response is what does a rapist look like?

They don't have horns on their heads. Or have the label rapist written on their heads. It would be great if they did, than we could all avoid true rapist.
    But a rapist is someone son, somebodies, brother, husband, friend, neighbour the friendly guy who sits next to you on the bus. Your doctor. The guy next door. What's even more sad is that there is probably hundreds of young men. Who have done the exact something as Tom. Yet they would never see it as rape. And these guys are protected by the oh it's not that bad" she wasn't dragged off the street. She didn't fight back, it was a misunderstanding. Let's not ruin this guys life over an misunderstandings"

I've served as a jury on a rape case. I know first hand just how hard it is to convict someone of rape.
    Stranger rapes) are always the ones the cps prosecutes because they are easier to prove.
    In real life. This probably wouldn't even make it to court..

Comment

I will be interested to see that 2nd and 3rd episodes. I know that after the first ten minutes I formed the view he was guilty.

She was asleep.

He pestered her knowing she was asleep

She showed no consent at all and showed no enjoyment.

Even if I had not seen the rest of it, I would have been convinced of guilt.

The fact that they had had consensual sex beforehand is neither here nor there. I am surprised they didn't do the research to check that the "previous sexual history" would probably not be admitted into the evidence these days, and neither would the images she sent of herself to the defendant prior to the incident.

They have bog all to do with it. Having consensual sex beforehand and maybe shared naughty photos does not mean that he did not commit the offence at a later date.

I expected better of the programme. Maybe the next one will be more enlightening.

I have to say that I was shocked at some of the student responses, more so the girls.
      People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

What I thought was sad was the attitude of the girls who thought it was acceptable or even normal and would not report any such incident.
        What are we teaching our daughters and more importantly, our sons?

Have we not then moved on from the Victorian attitude that women are merely objects for gratification?
        They tried to bury us- they didn't know we were seeds

Comment

I thought In some ways it's good to get it aired and help educate young people .... And yep, I also felt it was Rape early on based on the scenario.

Disappointed tho that early on the presenter said false allegations are "rare" .... I don't think this helps as it stokes the views of. "if you've been charged - you must be guilty then" !

And even though they had the falsely accused poor chap in : I didn't feel he had enough air time to go into detail about the devastation he felt or that he was the "victim" in that case and the awfulness of it all and that his accuser got all the help, support and sympathy .... Compared to zero for him

I hope they do go on to make some recommendations at the end on things like shift of emphasis to counselling, rather than compensation (incentive culture) for both sides and greater education ......

Interesting, but stressful viewing for most of us I guess
          Innocentson

Comment

Victoria Derbyshire show this morning also covering this

In case anyone wants to hear more its on the Victoria Derbyshire show bbc2 at 10am this morning.

They are debating this programme topic plus playing the drinking tea analogy ..... Quoting Alison Saunders previous comments etc. (she sounds as confused as many others tbh)
            Innocentson

Comment

Couldnt watch it false accuser is prob watching ready to add more lies... Really cant cope today feels like a hell we'll never get free from.
              Who you become while you are waiting is as important as what you are waiting for -Nicky Gumble

Comment

Originally posted by innocentson View Post
                In case anyone wants to hear more its on the Victoria Derbyshire show bbc2 at 10am this morning.

They are debating this programme topic plus playing the drinking tea analogy ..... Quoting Alison Saunders previous comments etc. (she sounds as confused as many others tbh)

I think it's a bit late for this follow up as you posted an hour ago, and it's just gone mid day!

Hopefully it will be repeated soon
                People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                  I think it's a bit late for this follow up as you posted an hour ago, and it's just gone mid day!

Hopefully it will be repeated soon
                  Sorry - I was too busy watching it to notice the time slipping by ; hopefully on catch up
                  Essentially covered the same ground and had some of the same people on including the falsely accused chap
                  Innocentson

Comment

Originally posted by Lilyput View Post
                    Couldnt watch it false accuser is prob watching ready to add more lies... Really cant cope today feels like a hell we'll never get free from.
                    Stick in there buddy. Lies are so hard to keep up, like them or not the police are fully aware when most people are lying.

Comment

Working...
                    X