52%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52%

I've read on several posts about the cps requirements of have a 52%chance of conviction.

How on earth do they come to this.

Do they have a "ticky" chart to mark up a scoring card or something .

One word against another and getting this 52% is just mind boggling to me.

I guess that the first thing to say is that the 51% (or 52% as you've seen it) is just a statistical interpretation of that actual wording on the CPS website which basically says they will only proceed to charge if, from their evaluation of the "evidence", they feel there is more chance of a successful conviction than of an acquittal.

So that's why people say 51% chance.....because that would put it in the "more chance of a successful conviction" category. If I were a Crown Prosecutor though, I would very much like to think that I would passed cases that gave me slightly more to work with than 51%.....such a demoralising job if not.

With regards to how they arrive at this point, you would like to think that there is a tried and tested process. However, since the Police don't appear to have such processes (or follow such processes if they do have them) then I think it's probably akin to a night at MECCA Bingo for the CPS staff where the balls have case numbers on them and those drawn out are tried.

Comment

Working...
    X