Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another not guilty verdict!!!!!!

Hello again from Oz,

It has been a while since i have last posted but i thought i would pop back and share our good news.

After 2 years 6months and 1 week our nightmare is finally over. Not guilty on all 3 counts.

I would like to send a big thank you to everyone that has provided me with support and advice during this time, and it is great to see more not guilty verdicts popping up. I once remember the words of a mother on here "we are in this to win", i have kept these words in my head the last few months

For the families and men new to this - this journey has been like having a loved one diagnosised with cancer and waiting until that very last test to find out that you are in the all clear.

Both my husband and daughter have been suicidal during the last 2 1/2 years and thank god we had the strenght to pull through. As a family we are much stronger.

For My fellow Aussies that may find this site - here is a run down on what a trial is like in Australia

Firstly - we have no legal aid assistance, so our legal fees have been approx $100000 AU

After the commital hearing, it can take up to 12 months before your trial is held. Our trial was held early due the FA being a minor at the time of complaint.

Our trial went for approx 5 days with out deliberation

Day 1 - appointment of judge and legal arguements.
    Day 2 - pre-recording evidence from FA, then cross examination
    Day 3 - Jury selection, openings, video recordings from FA and the defendant played
    Day 4- Witnesses
    Day 5 - Closing statements

My husband never had to give evidence, as our legal team decided that his recorded interviews were enough. Luckily for us our judge could see from day 1, what a liar the FA was, and even dropped one of the charges during the proceedings, and one more than one occasion during the FA cross examination, had stern words with FA due her "not recalling" what happpened.

Jury deliberation was around 5 hrs in total, and the most stressful time of our lives.

I had carefully selected family and friends to sit in the court room each day, to show the jury he had loads of support., and each day i increased the amount of people until the courtroom was almost full.

The FA did not have one person in the courtroom, not even to check how things were going. I even know that she caught a train by herself again without a support person or family during her cross examination.

Once again, thank you everyone. And Mods if there are any Aussies that are looking for advice or legal team recommendations, i am happy for you to send them my way.

xxxx

That's really great news. I'm so happy for you. It's hard to describe the feelings of relief and joy you experience when you get that "not guilty" verdict. Unless you experience it for yourself. You describe it well.

Enjoy your "win" and live life to the full.

It is disgusting that you have had to pay $100,000 to fight a false accusation. Is there any opportunity to recover it?

Best regards

HTW

Comment

Fantastic, it is great to keep hearing that justice prevails, if you don't count the financial and emotional toll anyway.
      I hope you all manage to move on and enjoy your ice from now on. Xx
      ::

Comment

Great stuff!!

People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Brilliant news and thanks for the update, some very useful information there
          'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

That's fantastic news . I believe it's even worst in Aus than in the UK . Congaratulations to you as a family.

Comment

Brilliant news so pleased for you
              "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Fantastic news, really pleased for you.

Comment

Fantastic news, so happy for you and your family!

5 hours! I can only imagine what you all were going through, my jury deliberation was just over an hour and I thought that was the longest hour of my life!

Hope the future treats you well....you all deserve it!

Comment

Just stumbled on this.

Truly excellent news and I am extremely happy for you guys.

Wow... A signature option!

Comment

So happy for you,I hope you can rebuild your lives.
                      Here also nobody was there from the FA side that said it all,still as you say the most traumatic time of my life definitely and also it has made us so much stronger but so wary of how easy this could happen to anyone.
                      Our decision came quite quickly,I don't know how I would have lasted 5 hours!
                      All the best for the future. x

Comment

Working...
                      X