Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trauma AFTER rape allegation NFA'd

Hi all,

This is my first post and I need your help please.

In 2011 I was accused of the rape of a girl I had been seeing for six months... arrested, flat raided, computers/phones confiscated, interviewed and bailed. Fairly standard procedure from people I've spoken to. A full year later (after several re-bails) and having been through my laptops and phones with a fine tooth comb they NFA'd me of the rape, and hadn't uncovered any indecent images either.

Like everyone I had the lows, the paranoia, the sleepless nights, the nightmares, the shame of having to tell family and friends, the awkwardness of going into work with everyone thinking the worst of me... and I took a good beating by a gang of lads to boot (quite literally).

You get NFA'd and at that moment life feels incredible, you race to ring everyone that's supported you, you thank the detective who's put you through absolute hell (Stockholme syndrome if you ask me) and you think everything's back to normal.

For me it wasn't. Some while after I was NFA'd, I was slandered by someone in my local area, specifically about the rape... and to cut a long story short, I responded badly. I now find myself defending an assault charge, which I understand and admit that I didn't manage my emotions correctly.

I'm in my 30's and had never been involved in a fight until I was slandered as a rapist by this person... not one drunken fight in my 20's, not even a teenage punch up on the school fields... I am convinced that I am suffering mentally from the trauma of the allegation and then combined with the specific provocation of this person led to me losing control.

Can someone please please please provide details or links to a dissertation or medical journal on the psychological effects of being falsely accused, ideally over a sexual offence? I want to help the jury to understand my psychology in that period, and documented journals or dissertations to quote from would be ideal.

Sorry for rabbiting on, and good luck to anyone that is going through what I went through- but when it's over, please don't think it's over.
    Last edited by damaged; 23 February 2014, 04:30 PM.

hi, thanks for posting.

I think this may be of help to you.

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s...FfPItAodBUEAmA
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

hi and really sorry to read about what you are going through. RFLH has given you a good link - I was thinking of PTSD as well...

I would recommend that you consult your GP and asked to be referred to your Community Mental Health Team. They should be a great support to you and be able to give you a full psychological assessment and treatment which should be of great help to you...hoping all works out well for you...
      "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

I went through something similair.

Although I was not NFA'd but cleared by a jury at court. I was on cloud 9 for a few weeks and then it hit me hard again, the sleepless night then dreams of being sent to prison ect ect. Thinking what if and then panicking when out with friends for a drink and fearing every female that was in my area.

I didn't go to the GP or anything though and really I should have. I'm doing much better now but if you ever need to talk just drop me a message or something.

Comment

I think it's understandable you reacted this way after dealing with the accusations and the beating you got too.
          The advice to get some help is really good and it will show you recognise there is a problem
          Personally, after you were taunted that way, I think you should get a medal but that won't help you enjoy the rest of your life.

Comment

Working...
          X