Character references

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character references

My partner has been advised to get some character references. The thing is, obviously being FALSELY accused of rape is not something that anyone other than myself and immediate family know about, so who can write references for him & what sort of information should it include.

Many thanks

Hi SGF.

Character references must be written by people who know your friend for years.
    It must include their names,addresses,profession and their relationship with your BF.
    They must be aware about the offence and the charge against him.
    They must remain honest as their writers may have to go to court to testify.

They will have to describe how your BF is towards the community and girls in general.

Did he talked about the charges and why he is going to court?
    How does he feel about it? Has he been distressed or upset?
    How was he with his previous girlfriends?
    What sort of person is he?
    Is it out of character that he committed the offence? Why do they think this?

As an advice SGF I would privilege ladies to write character references.
    It is a difficult subject but it can only be beneficial for him.

Do not be upset if your barrister reject some of the letters as quality is more important than quantity.
    Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

My hubby had a character reference from his employer. It took a long time for him to pluck up the courage to tell his employers, but once he did they were a) completely and utterly gobsmacked and b) completely and utterly supportive.

He was summoned to court and was asked things like 'how long have you known the defendant' 'how did you feel when you found out about the allegation' 'how does the defendant behave around people in the workplace' 'what is he like around women' 'have you found him to be distracted and/or upset since the allegation' and some things about himself in general.

We were very lucky in that hubby's character reference was a very well-known, influential man in his field, extremely intelligent, articulate and most importantly, completely believed in my hubby's innocence. We are sure it helped his case.

Good luck! If his employers have known him a long time they are likely to be shocked and will try and support him

Comment

Thanks boys don't cry, this will help my son too.

Comment

For what its worth I had character reference from my boss (male), an old family friend (female) my best man and a best buddy (male) from when I was a teen. As said above don't be concerned if the barrister rejects some, some people just don't write very good character references.
          Definitely try and get a few female references if possible, have a word with your barrister to see if he can suggest anyone, or sol?
          Last edited by Dave; 6 February 2014, 08:17 PM.
          Still here

Comment

Working...
          X