Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this mean?

Hi

My partner is being falsely accused of rape. He has been questioned by detectives but had no DNA/fingerprints taken and has not been charged or bailed. Although we understand that the accuser has retracted her statement and expected good news before Christmas from the case review we have heard nothing except that further allegations have been made but with no indication that the detectives wish to speak with my partner again.

My partner was rather stupid in talking to the police in the first place without a solicitor but has since seen one from whom we have the above update.

Can anyone shed any light as to what might be happening in the process now?

Originally posted by alichi View Post
    Hi

My partner is being falsely accused of rape. He has been questioned by detectives but had no DNA/fingerprints taken and has not been charged or bailed. Although we understand that the accuser has retracted her statement and expected good news before Christmas from the case review we have heard nothing except that further allegations have been made but with no indication that the detectives wish to speak with my partner again.

My partner was rather stupid in talking to the police in the first place without a solicitor but has since seen one from whom we have the above update.

Can anyone shed any light as to what might be happening in the process now?
    Its good he wasnt given the ordeal of being arrested and DNA taken etc. I'm in a similar situation where the accuser retracted before I was arrested however they still went and arrested me anyway. It seems even with a retration they are still fully investigating all claims and wont drop things until they have completed that investigation.

They will now be conducting their investigation which will more than likely result in either a no further action, arrest / charge or possibly asking for more information. Just a sit and wait now to see what happens.
    Last edited by tigertiger; 10 January 2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tigertiger View Post
      Its good he wasnt given the ordeal or being arrested and DNA taken etc. I'm in a similar situation where the accuser retracted before I was arrested however they still went and arrested me anyway. It seems even with a retration they are still fully investigating all claims and wont drop things until they have completed that investigation.

They will now be conducting their investigation which will more than likely result in either a no further action, arrest / charge or possibly asking for more information. Just a sit and wait now to see what happens.

Thank you for a quick response. I'm sorry to hear that you, too, are going through this trauma.

Comment

Are you in Scotland or England & Wales?
        Wow... A signature option!

Comment

We're in south west England lawlessone2009

Comment

hi

were in the southwest (im from Yeovil)

Comment

England is quite a different kettle of fish from Scotland.

Everything down your way is 'different' from what I've experienced in Scotland.

It appears that in England the Police can keep you waiting forever before making any decisions or letting you know.

The 'no news is good news' has to be a line to take. I know it causes anxiety but it's different from the anxiety that a charge and potential trial brings on.

Do you have a solicitor on 'standby' at the moment?

Comment

hi,

Yes we do, although relatively powerless without any charge.
                I agree with the "no news is good news" but the anxiety is crippling.

Comment

hi,

Yes we do, although relatively powerless without any charge.
                  I agree with the "no news is good news" but the anxiety is crippling.
                  England is a funny old game and quite unfair. The way in which they charge is cruel and protracted. Keeping people on bail and subjecting them to a lengthly period of zero information seems, for want of a better word, unjust.

The anxiety is overwhelming and increased by the very lengthly period it takes for them to make their mind up with regards what, if any, charge is going to be made. Unfortunately that is the way the system works and I don't foresee it being changed any time soon.

The anxiety you will be experiencing just now is a different anxiety from what you will experience later. No Further Action (NFA) can leave you potentially more anxious than a charge but in a way which differs from the full on assault that happens if there is a charge and the information starts flowing and the court appearance dates materialize.

No news isn't necessarily good news but it's better news than if you received the wrong news. What the 'wrong' news is does vary and any news is a cause of further anxiety regardless of what that news is.....

Jeez.

Try and get out and have a 'fun day' with your partner. Nothing too flashy or 'supposed to be fun' as moods don't generally allow it. A little day of doing something slightly 'different' but without the subject being 'in your face you must have fun' and more of a calm and enjoyable period of time doing something that just happens to potentially be fun. Don't drag him out the door, sit and have a little chat and table some ideas of what you guys could spend a day doing. Don't even bring up the fact the day is in anyway to do with the current situation as that will taint it before it even happens, will make it seem as if it's a result of 'x' rather than just a genuine wee day out with surprises and laughter.

If he's not interested then no big deal. It effects everyone differently and not everyone wants to do things but taking the mind off problems is a good thing.

Comment

If you are near to Exeter, Nunn Rickard sols would be good for you should their be a charge.
                    People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Working...
                    X