My son has been accused of rape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son has been accused of rape.

Hello everybody, I have been looking at this site for the last 3 weeks and have just registered. I have many questions as to how an accusation like this can explode into our hitherto law abiding lives and cause such devastation to my son who is a good, caring man.

The main question right this minute is: should we try to pay for representation? - this wouldn't be easy and would mean re mortgaging my home but I feel that we have to do everything to get justice for my son.

How do we find a good solicitor who doesn't ignore our questions and concerns?

We need someone who cares about the case.

We are not well up on the workings of the law.

My son was in prison for 2 weeks but is now out on bail - thankfully.

Any help much appreciated.

Worried Mammy.

Take a little step back and realise that you should be trying NOT to pay for representation.

My mum was the same, she'd have sold the house/car/dog/kidney BUT instead she did what you are doing just now except in a non-computer way. She sought the opinions of others and chose the best that was recommended. It paid massive dividends and since it didn't cost anything she still has the kidney and the dog......

Finding a good solicitor is never an easy task but you've certainly posted in the right section and asked the question. There are/were stickies. However, since this is your thread you can get your answers. It is difficult to pass on recommendations without first knowing if you are in Scotland or England/Wales and then roughly where you are. Don't post up your house number and street but rather focus on your nearest big city or your regional area. Someone near you will hopefully then read your posting and be able to make a recommendation.

Your son has YOU and you care about the case. That's an absolutely superb first person to care. You guys will need to become a team and bounce your feelings of each other when you 'meet and greet' anyone who you may wish to represent you. Don't simply jump, ensure that you guys feel entirely comfortable and assured. If there isn't a charge as such just now then there is not a great deal can be done legally but first impressions of any potential representative still count.

By the time everything that is going to happen within your case has happened you will, unfortunately, know far more than you ever wanted to know about 'legal'. Most of us on here can assist you and share our experiences.

Jail for 2 weeks........... I bet you are VERY pleased that one is over!
    Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Hi,

In the thread I have linked to are solicitors who have been personally recommended by members of the forum who have used them, hopefully you will find someone in your area; if not post up the county in which the allegation was made and someone may be able to suggest a firm.

http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/s...ist-solicitors

Most of the solicitors in the list will work on legally aided cases but, if you prefer to pay, Chris Saltrese is highly recommended by those members who have used him.

http://www.chrissaltrese.co.uk/

If you have any general queries they may be answered by this sticky:

http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/s...at-happens-now

There are a lot of mums on the forum in just your situation so you will get lots of emotional support here.
      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Wait

My advice is to hold tight and see if he is charged and don't panic you have to wait for the charge. in the mean time do your home work? the time line where what he was doing. where he was and get all the info possible look what the allegation was. pay for you own copy through the police head office and study it word for word. and reply to it so you sort of have your own file / evidence. other wise you maybe throwing you life away for nothing i.e your house etc..don't pay for advice unless its paramount

Comment

Did your son have representation

One thing we must do when our children are growing up it make sure they know when they ever walk in to a police station is say no comment I want a solicitor. give an account if you advised to and that all/ let the police do there work and don't do it for them,

keep all the vital information in your holster so when your solicitor walks in to the saloon ( court) hes going in there with two full magnums and not a potato gun. keep cool and let these people who earn and are paid to do there job. a solicitor can not defend you if your guilty and if you are guilty im sure every one here will hope you go to court with just a water gun ?????

Comment

Thank you for advice - it is very calming.

We need a solicitor in the Leicestershire area.

Originally posted by lawlessone2009 View Post
            Take a little step back and realise that you should be trying NOT to pay for representation.

My mum was the same, she'd have sold the house/car/dog/kidney BUT instead she did what you are doing just now except in a non-computer way. She sought the opinions of others and chose the best that was recommended. It paid massive dividends and since it didn't cost anything she still has the kidney and the dog......

Finding a good solicitor is never an easy task but you've certainly posted in the right section and asked the question. There are/were stickies. However, since this is your thread you can get your answers. It is difficult to pass on recommendations without first knowing if you are in Scotland or England/Wales and then roughly where you are. Don't post up your house number and street but rather focus on your nearest big city or your regional area. Someone near you will hopefully then read your posting and be able to make a recommendation.

Your son has YOU and you care about the case. That's an absolutely superb first person to care. You guys will need to become a team and bounce your feelings of each other when you 'meet and greet' anyone who you may wish to represent you. Don't simply jump, ensure that you guys feel entirely comfortable and assured. If there isn't a charge as such just now then there is not a great deal can be done legally but first impressions of any potential representative still count.

By the time everything that is going to happen within your case has happened you will, unfortunately, know far more than you ever wanted to know about 'legal'. Most of us on here can assist you and share our experiences.

Jail for 2 weeks........... I bet you are VERY pleased that one is over!

Comment

Originally posted by Mammy View Post
              We need a solicitor in the Leicestershire area.
              I live in Scotland so couldn't be too much help there....

A google search does throw up:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=leiceste...rape+solicitor

However, I have no recommendation to make. I would certainly encourage you to have a look at various sites for solicitors in the search if you feel as if you have to do something just now and nobody else is forthcoming with a recommendation.

Remember and treat picking a solicitor as if you are buying a new car. Take your time, check out the specs and then pick the one that fills you with confidence.

You do have time on your side at the moment so there is no great hurry to get a solicitor on board. A couple of weeks of looking could be more than beneficial if it means you get the right solicitor who ultimately provides the best defence.
              Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Hello Mammy - welcome to the forum though I'm sorry you and your son are going through this nightmare. Having been in that situation with my own son for 15 months ending January this year,(tried and found not guilty ) I fully commiserate -it's one of the hardest things that's every likely to happen to either of you.

My son was entitled to legal aid, but we too would have been prepared to mortgage our house if need be. Hee made a fundamental mistake early on, in accepting the card the duty sol handed him and feeling obliged to go go through him . The guy turned out to be frankly 'unsuitable' (nice speak - scarey would be more appropriate!)
                However, he managed to change to Gerrry mcDonald and was represented by Nereda Hartford-Bell in court who were excellent AND... worked on legal aid.
                I can't stress enough just how important it is to get a competent experienced legal team onto it, which you , obviously have also come to realise.

I suggest you post your request on the link CH already mentioned if there's not one on there for your area.

http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/s...ist-solicitors

Some sols will travel (don't know about on legal aid though) and it may be that your son can travel to them if you don't find anyone suitable in your immediate area.

We're here to support you, so keep coming back. Good luck!
                Last edited by whatsgoingon?; 11 September 2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I have one specific recommendation in the Leicester area

Paul Trotter, from Bray & Bray 1,3,&5 Welford Road
                  Leicester LE2 &AN tel 0116 2548871 and the Barrister is Sir Jona Walker - Smith,

http://www.braybray.co.uk/about-us/o.../paul-trotter/

Paul is a bit of all right I met him at Court of Appeal a few years back.....
                  People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

That's worth knowing, RF! I've taken his details down in case I ever move to the Leicester area!

Comment

Hopefully 'Mammy' will contact him. He was very good as was the appeal barrister - and the client highly recommended him.
                      People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Working...
                      X