Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing my name?

Hi all

In Dec 2012 I found out my ex who I'd been with for 3 years had been cheating on me for six months. I suspected something was wrong over that period and several times I dumped her but she assured me she still loved me and begged for me back. When I found out about the cheating though I exposed her and ditched her.

Month later, end of Jan 2013, i hear she's spreading about to my friends that I raped and abused her years before (alleged event happened two years before I even first spoken to her). A lot of our close friends all knew it was a lie and a load of them disowned her. Despite this though i went through hell over the defamation.

I have evidence disproving her claims (MSN logs from when we first spoke, phone logs etc), and witnesses to the slander (they saved texts) and others that would testify her claims to them.

Because I haven't been arrested yet I'm assuming she hasn't been to police, probably because she knows her accusations wouldn't stand up against investigation. But her tyrannical mother who never approved of our relationship and who was the obvious force behind this allegation is constantly suggesting it. So it's kinda always hanging over my head.

Is there anything I can do? Can I claim against her or sue her for defamation or slander?
    Or would it have to be investigated by police before I could do that?

Is it worth initiating the police investigation?

Hi Shockedlad,

Welcome to the forum though sorry to read of your story. If you get a chance to read through some of threads from other members you will note that over half involve ex's either as the accuser or as a third party on behalf of the accuser, so you are not alone.

Hopefully someone who has been in similar situation will be able to advise you how to react to your ex's behaviour but I would strongly suggest that you do not initiate the police investigation yourself or indeed start legal proceedings against her.

In the present overwrought climate the police will investigate any complaint brought to their attention if there is any possibility that it might have occurred and you will be deemed to be guilty of the accusation until you can prove your innocence.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Working...
    X