Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can parents-in-law refuse to make statement/give evidence at court

Hi all
    This may be a stupid question but as I am not really up on the UK legal system, I wanted to know if the parents-in-law of the accused can refuse to do this. And if so, would this have any implications?
    Thanks!
    DBI

I'm not sure about the statement but they could be summoned to court even if they don't want to and if they don't turn up without a good reason they could be found to be in contempt of court and arrested.
    "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Hi Friday

Thanks for your reply. What I mean is: When at court, can they refuse to give evidence as in answer any questions on the grounds that they are close relatives or does that only apply to the wife, as in me?

Comment

I'm not sure if it would come under hostile witness or contempt of court, both are not good news.
        And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Thank you. The reason I ask is because I do not live in the UK and in the country where I do live, close family relatives have the right to refuse to give evidence and/or make any statement to the police or at court.

Comment

Without knowing more nobody here can answer that question.

Is the evidence in favour of the defendant or Crown - or is it ambiguous?

Is it material evidence?

Or is it just character or background evidence?

Witnesses can be subpoenaed in some cases but depends on what grounds. If they are subpoenaed they might be treated as 'hostile'. On the other hand they could be very helpful to defence. As I said, without more info we cannot say or make suggestions.
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Actually, this is only a theoretical question out of curiosity. There hasn't even been an interview, charge or arrest of the accused yet. It's just that, due to the fact that the parents-in-law had a very good opinion of the son-in-law but now are standing by the false accuser and want nothing whatsoever to do with us any more, the would end up being in a difficult situation, I can imagine. On the one hand having to tell the truth (no, there is no evidence whatsoever) but on the other hand possibly having to stand by my son.
              I rellay don't know whether you get what I mean. Am finding it difficult to put in words...

Comment

Are you are trying to ask if your parents will be interviewed and for whom's side of the case ?
                They will be in a difficult position and can only tell what they know..any thing else would be hearsay I think.
                To be honest trying to second guess what might happen will only drive you crazy, don't try to cross bridges
                you haven't reached yet LP
                Together We Can Beat This Hell

Comment

Guess you're right LP. Am driving myself nuts about the what if cases.. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X