Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does a false accusation case enter the public domain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does a false accusation case enter the public domain?

A good friend has an historical (20yr) false rape accusation against him. He was arrested and interviewed last summer and last week was formerly charged. He is due to attend the Magistrates Court in late April and Crown Court sometime in the next 12 months. All standard procedure by the sounds of things
    He is a pillar in our local society and I would expect the case to make titillating copy in the local newspaper.
    Although I am aware that the accuser has the right of anonymity I do not believe that this extends to the accused
    Can someone who has experience of such matters let me know when the case is likely to come into the public domain
    Many thanks
    Jack

there may well be reporters at the magistrates, I'm guessing that if the person is well known then papers will be tipped off - if it is worth reporting, then they will turn up to every appearance.
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.
      I feared that might be the case after which he will have 12 months of purgatory waiting for the case to be heard at Crown Court.
      I also wonder, rhetorically for I expect that there is no 'right' answer, whether he would be better off to declare the matter publicly to all and sundry or wait in the hope that it remains secret for a bit longer but then having little or no control over the timing or the facts.
      Perhaps by waiting he will also lose what little higher ground there might be
      Thanks again
      Jack

Comment

He'd be better off asking his solicitor that - it can work both ways.

I guess also it'd depend a lot on how it would impact on his life, both personal and professional.
        And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

He obviously needs to be prepared for it to come out into the public domaine and prepare for that, whoever makes the first move.

Comment

My case first entered the local newspaper at the majistrates stage if that helps.

Comment

I was in the local newspapers two days after the beginning of my trial Jackstraw.
              Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

It becomes public domain in the magistrates court but I beleive it is luck and what else is happening in the news. I attended the mag Court and CC twice and nothing was ever reported. I know I was fortunate so keep your fingers crossed he will be.

Comment

Working...
                X