Case Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Preparation

I have designed a table to help with my case preparation, and was wondering whether it anyone else has prepared like this?

There are three separate tables and they have 4 different subsections each. The way I am going through it is to read my own statement until I find an issue and then cross reference with the complainant's statement and have taken down what my counsel believes to be 'pertinent issues' such as why she would bother to lie about this etc etc.

Here is the format of the different tables:

1. Before Alleged Rape

Prosecution Question:

My Statement:

Complainant's Statement:

My Court Answer:

2. During Alleged Rape

Prosecution Question:

My Statement:

Complainant's Statement:

My Court Answer:

3. After Alleged Rape

Prosecution Question:

My Statement:

Complainant's Statement:

My Court Answer:

If anyone has any tips to improve these tables I would be grateful to hear from you.

SJ

Hello SJ - it sounds very organised. I think it's really important to identify the bits in her statement that you disagree with(or are out and out lies) and cross-reference with your own statement where relevant.

It's also good to work out questions that might be asked etc... this is where the help of a friend or family member is good as they'll have another view-point and may identify different things to you. The questions asked may not be that obvious and the prosecution barrister may go on and on about one particular thing which might be attempt to break your versions of events, might not be that relevant or a way for him to drum something into the jury which may be pure speculation. So be prepared to be destabilised form your preperation!

Comment

Hi whatsgoingon. Thank you for your reply.

I am trying to think of every conceivable question although i think (as you say) the slippery prosecutor is going to ask something which i havent thought of already!

Apart from saying 'you're a rapist, you're a rapist, you're a rapist' i suppose the only things they can try and achieve is to make me look like a liar on the other details that arent related to when had consensual sex.

I feel better now I have started this detailed case preparation, and I am looking forward to the trial which is amazing since I was so scared before!

I have to say I have this site to thank for giving me the advice.

SJ

Comment

Gd Evening Seeking

organisation is great. my wife and I were meticulous in bottoming out the statements and it certainly helped. that said, your Barrister will spot things and go down lines you wont have thought of. thats of course where they show there worth and mine, thankfully was no exception.

It helped me to go through them in the two weeks before trial on a number of occasions. just keep giving your solicitor as much as u can.

Comment

Hi Cabins 2011

Thanks for your reply and advice. My barrister is very good, she really fights tooth and nail at every hearing. My solicitor is ranked by chambers and partners etc but never seems to reply to me!

I dont know whether this is because it is too early (trial listed for middle of April, but we are trying to make application for medical records before this and we have pre trial review).

Then again what do you expect on legal aid!

SJ

Comment

I was on LA also and I was lucky that my Barrister was exceptional. my solicitor did a great job of reassuring my wife and me, especially in latter stages. that said I hated the waiting inbetween our communications and didnt feel things moved as quick as i wanted at the timr. with hindsight it was just the whole situation getting to me.

It will change your life regardless. its been 2.5 weeks since mine finished and although im feeling back to normal, my wife isnt by any means.

Stay positive!!

Comment

Thanks I am getting better to be honest with you - i am sure i will be acquitted but, if not, it wont be that bad and at least I will know where I stand!

I will take your comments on board about the solicitor, im sure he knows what hes doing so I will try and be patient with him.

Glad its all going well for you since the trial - no doubt this will effect you to some extent for the foreseeable future. I thought yesterday my lovely accuser has actually done me a favour in some respects, think this whole process has made me not be so naive and will generally make me stronger as a result.

I will not give her the satisfaction of thinking that shes beaten me, I will come out of this better than before no matter whatever happens.

Comment

Working...
              X