Any last minute words of wisdom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any last minute words of wisdom?

I originally posted my story in this area and won't repeat it to save those of you that have been through it already!

Briefly, arrested just before xmas at 6.30am. Search warrant at home and work. Sacked from work because of police attendance and on probation (new job). Accusations historic- 3 ex girlfriends talking to each other. 3 counts of rape, taking photos/video of minor (17yr old girlfriend at time- i was 19) etc.etc. - You all know the story!

Anyway, first bail which will be 10 weeks total (seems long for bail?) ends on tuesday. No bail conditions apart from usual common sense stuff.

Searched out a decent solicitor- as advised on this forum- who will be attending and is briefed with a 102 page document of facts and facebook message screen shots.

Does anyone have any advice for my day out next tuesday? First bail attendance, obviously my main fear is charge and remand.

Confident that I haven't done anything and spent 14 hours being questionned on arrest while in custody without solicitor because of that.

Obviously hoping for a decision one way or another..

Thanks guys!

(P.S Apologies for my absence over the last weeks. Been trying to distance myself from it all i guess to keep up with some variant of a normal life)

Hi Steve.

Tuesday should be just a visit at the police station where you will have to sign a form:
    Your next bail date or if you are less lucky the charges against you.

You might receive a phone call from your solicitor in advance to let you know about the result,
    do not worry if he doesn't attend at the station because some won't travel only to witness a signature.
    The police would only keep you in detention rather than grant bail if they managed to collect enough evidence
    and you were a menace against the society or they feared for your safety.
    The police officer might ask you if you have something to say or to discuss about...
    You don't.
    Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Hi Steve, don't be surprised if you are re-bailed, as you'll have been able to see for yourself on this site, it's often quite a long time before you know anything.
      Also, you are entitled to have your custody records ( they have to be applied for within 12 months of having been arrested).It's a good idea to get hold of them from the station when you go for your bail visit particularly as you didn't have a sol present. You can then check it over to see that everything did happen as stated and hand a copy to your sol to check that your detention and interview were carried out correctly

Comment

Thanks whatsgoingon and boysdontcry,

Today was my day of reckoning!

Before i go into it, just want to say thanks for your advice. I am relatively familiar with my rights due to my sole occupation being "False rape accusation law student" for the past 10 weeks, so am relatively happy with my custody first time round.

I'd like to say this time was fun, but "eventful" is probably more appropriate.

Bail at 11am. Checked in at 10.45am. Solicitor met at 11am. Levales solicitors, as recommended by a forum member. - Got to say.. Bloody good. I ended up with one of the firms partners as my solicitor pulled a sicky, but boy was he on the ball.

We spent 2 hours discussing the case, my 110 page document i had compiled and what was to come. It was advised (for those of you in the early stages) not to disclose my evidence for defence pre-charge as this is like showing your hand in a game of poker.

Solicitor estimated a realistic 80% chance a charge would be likely at some point in the future, but not today. Nice to have a bit of truth to be honest. We established strategy, went over likely bail conditions (ended up being none other than common sense) etc.etc. All good stuff.

Then came the fun part. Re-interview with the 2 lead detectives. Forget the kiddy stuff at first interview stages, this was hardball. With a fair amount of disclosure into statements i was confronted with "questions" such as "**** Says you did this at this point. That's controlling behavior don't you think. You did this DIDNT YOU.." This whole charade went on for just short of 2 hours. A clear attempt to try and catch me out and/or make me lose my temper to affect my character and credibility. Luckily I'm not some common thug they have pulled off the street and I didn't bite, i played questions back at them and left them in situations they struggled to answer.

Good cop, bad cop, came into play. Classic. Could have been spotted a mile off. Solicitor saw it before the questions were finished and interjected before i had a chance to start unwinding the poor morals and lack of tact they were using to incriminate me.

We then went to an "analysis" of my iPhone. We were presented with a single exert of conversation with my current partner a while ago. Very explicit, very graphic. Bit of late night role play over text/whatsapp - im sure a lot of you know the sort of thing.

They then tried to link this with statements from the victims saying my "MO" was to hold my victims down by the throat - the counterpart/current partner in the text chat had requested this as part of the fantasy chat as its what gets her off.

This attempt to incriminate me also failed. I defended myself truthfully and with commendation from my solicitor only to be chucked back into a cell for well over 2 hours straight while they tracked the partner down at work to re-statement her with the text conversation with the intent to re-interview me with some evidence one of my key witnesses could be used against me. According to my brief, i was praised by her with my level of respect for her and the amount of consideration and lack of pressure that i ever put on her for sex. I think this effort ended in an "Oops!" by those with a plan of action should they catch her out.

No further interview happened after this. The whole thing backfired on them and I was bailed as they had no leg to stand on so to speak. A further 10 weeks bail without charge- Glorious.

Throughout the interview I felt pressured, victimised and the way I was approached with my questioning was with an attitude that (won't use vulgar language) "pooped" all over the right to be considered innocent until proven guilty. I was questioned with malice and for lack of a better word, judgmental hate. For a crime that hadn't been committed. I have been told by my solicitor this is a standard strategy used. I genuinely feel sorry for those without a level of intellect that can see this and counteract it, it was truly appalling behavior by an establishment we trust to protect us. (And i say this still knowing the police force act only to obtain evidence for conviction and not to prove the truth)

I've rambled enough. I hope this is enough to give those awaiting their first bail to have an idea of whats going to happen. If your solicitor doesn't advise before hand- When you feel uncomfortable or think that the questioning is in an attempt to push buttons etc. DO NOT feel pressured and just turn to your legal rep and say "Can i speak to my solicitor please". Do this as many times as you need. Its a massive help as interview/tapes must be stopped and a private conversation to follow. Although I only felt the need to do this once, i had as much time as i needed to collect myself and re approach with a fresh mind and fight back with the facts and not have words pushed out of me that could have incriminated me. Never, ever lose your temper or present your answers with a tone of voice that could be interpreted as such.

If you read this all, thank you and I hope it helped.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for this Steve, this description of your interview is extremely useful (and strikes quite a few chords)

You have reinforced the advice I have often given; if anyone is fortunate enough to have prior notice of an interview, treat it as an exam and prepare and revise very thoroughly.

Your advice about keeping calm is spot-on; part of the interview strategy is to rile and unsettle the DP in the hope he/she will then let something slip out.

I have put your post on my list for a sticky (once I get off mobile internet)
          'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Brilliant post Steve and especially pleased that you appreciate the solicitor.

You are so true about not losing temper at the police station and I would only add while on bail.
            If they don't use the good cop bad cop technique they are quite resourceful.
            A few hours in a cell after the interview,before the mugshot,back in the interview room,back in cage.

In cell you must: you 're on camera.
            Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Well done Steve, it does sound like you had 'fun' ! Your story re-enforces just how important it is to be prepared. Why did they re-interview you, was this at the request of your sol?

Sadly, for many, arrest is a total surprise (as I'm sure you remember from your first time round) so while it's not a reflection of interlectual capacities, most people don't respond well under shock (this is obviously something plod uses).

I think the advice on stopping to speak to your sol whenever you feel you need to is excellent.

It also sounds like you had a chance to build up a good rapport with your sol which again, is a plus.

Enjoy your next 10 weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by Boys don't cry View Post
                In cell you must: you 're on camera.
                Didn't have a camera in my cell this time. I was even allowed to keep my jacket and take my drink in with me which i wasnt allowed to first time around!

Originally posted by whatsgoingon
                Why did they re-interview you, was this at the request of your sol?
                Huge amounts of evidence i assume. I had no disclosure first time around and i guess they wanted to have a pop at me with direct quotes from witness statements and the rubbish that my ex's had actually said. They also had apparently finished analysing my phone and questioned me in relation to one conversation on there. Like i said before, the plan was to let me sweat it out in the cell while they tried to get something in a statement from the other participant in the conversation that contradicted my version of events, and then interview me yet again. There wasn't a third interview because she backed up everything i said. Having the plan backfire when the witness turns around and says "He treats me with the utmost respect and never pressures me" must have been a little bit of a shock. I wouldn't be surprised if i was questioned again when i go back at the end of May.

Fun times chaps! Fun times.

Comment

Thanks for this enlightening post - it's great you can be so upbeat.....
                  "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Comment

Steve.

Sounds like you had fun at the police station.

I mentioned the camera only for the first arrest and interview as I didn't know you would have to go back in another cell.

I have been to only one (interview and cell)without a solicitor and I have been charged while he was on holidays.

Evidence will be your defense,take care and keep on building it.

Ps:Excellent post Whatsgoingon?
                    Last edited by Boys don't cry; 27 February 2013, 09:01 PM.
                    Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Excellent post, Steve.
                      And very intelligent responses.
                      Thank all.

Comment

Steve...

I am pretty amazed by your detailing.

It appears that the Police were at a crossroads.

Your solicitor indicated that there was a likelyhood of a charge.

From your detailing it seems to me as if you've firmly swayed the ball into your half for some knocking back and forth and then made a run for their goals. If things have went as you've detailed I would think you've changed the 80% for charge to 80% against charge!

If you've already got 110 pages then I am sure your legal guy has had a quiet word with the cops and let them know that you are beyond taking it all seriously and are more than prepared for a game of hardball. Your preparation could well be far more thorough than theirs!!!
                        Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Originally posted by lawlessone2009 View Post
                          Steve...

I am pretty amazed by your detailing.

It appears that the Police were at a crossroads.

Your solicitor indicated that there was a likelyhood of a charge.

From your detailing it seems to me as if you've firmly swayed the ball into your half for some knocking back and forth and then made a run for their goals. If things have went as you've detailed I would think you've changed the 80% for charge to 80% against charge!

If you've already got 110 pages then I am sure your legal guy has had a quiet word with the cops and let them know that you are beyond taking it all seriously and are more than prepared for a game of hardball. Your preparation could well be far more thorough than theirs!!!
                          Keep on in there, you seem to be handling things ok.
                          I'll keep watching for you and good luck
                          Hol

Comment

Working...
                          X