Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you approach with your employer (if at all) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you approach with your employer (if at all) ??

Hi Guys

Just looking for some advice for those who have been through trial etc.

Mine starts a week today, and to date, I have not discussed/informed my employer of what is happening. My trial is booked as a standard week of for annual leave. The problem is, I am a pivotal part of a small (but growing business), having all this to cope with has made it very difficult for me to personally embrace the huge development of my employment role, and how the business is growing. If I was to suddenly "not be here" anymore, would cause my employer (my boss being the owner of the business and a friend) some considerable inconvenience.

My solicitor has advised me not to tell them, as in her opinion the need is not there, so I guess thats probably how I should play it, but I have to be honest, with a week to go, im finding it really hard to not discuss. With the seriousness of the allegation I guess it isnt best.

Hope someone can give me an idea of what they did. My conference with Counsel is this afternoon also.

Thanks

I would go with what your solicitors says... don't tell them, it's not going to help you and it could be needlessly detrimental. I took all of January off to keep my head straight and support my son through his case. You may be able to get a doctor's certificate, or just say that you have a severe family problem to sort out (that's what I did) - you won't be lying. It's hard feeling that you are letting your colleagues down but it's not out of choice and there's nothing you can do about it.
    All the best.

Comment

However.... it's good to feel supported by those around you and it maybe that one or more of your colleagues may be able to be a character witness for you if that's open to you. I realise I've given you 2 conflicting viewpoints... I think it really depends on the relashionship you have with them. For you to weigh up the pros and cons.
      PS - Although it's programmed for a week, it could get delayed a day or 2 and go on for longer.
      Last edited by whatsgoingon?; 18 February 2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that.

The company is made up of a majority shareholder Director, owns majority of business and I have known for a number of years. Very close. The other director is someone I have worked with for many years, a highly respected HR Manager for 30yrs with a global company who I worked with. Our working relationship/friendship is very strong and I was brought by him to the business as a result of my reputation working with him for a previous employer.

Its a tough one, it really is... My wife agrees that we go with the solicitors view, but say something went wrong at Trial and a worst case scenario happened, then they would have to be informed anyway???

Comment

Now that you've said this , I think I would be tempted to say something to the major shareholder director at least. It seems both Directors would be in a position to say good things about you. If you were to be convicted, they may assume that you were guilty and wonder if you've been deceatful in other ways - you may never have a chance to explain the situation to them. If you go down this road, you obviously don't have to give the finer details, there are always simple ways of formulating things which makes it easier to take in.
          At the end of the day, it's for you to weigh it all up and make a decision and stick with it (I'd avoid mincing it over in your head as you must already have quite alot on your mind)
          All the best

Comment

Thanks for this, you perfectly understood where I was coming from angle wise with this. Its very difficult. I mean, both myself and my solicitor/barrister are anticipating a NG, but I guess you have to still prepare for a worst case scenario naturally, which is kind of what I am trying to keep busy with doing this week. Its a very difficult situation to explain to someone in terms of how this all started and has come about, that said, I dont have an issue talking to someone and explaining why it happened, and how it has got this far despite the clear facts of me not being guilty of the wild allegation.

Comment

After I was arrested, I have started searching for work. I found one, and after joinning my company I have explained what is going on. My managers told me:
              If we are gonna be able to help you, then we will help you. After I was charged, the next day I have told my managers what is going on. They told me that if they can help me in any way, they will help me. Its been tought time for me, drinking and without any advance informing them that Im not comming to work. They understood and Im still their employee. If been told that I dont have to inform my employer about the case.

Comment

So hurt and angry

H,
                i I think we have all had this dilemma ,do we tell them and hope like hell they believe us but risk that they don't, my feeling is that it's such a hard decision,whether you are talking family,friends or work colleagues ,however the conclusion that I came to, was that I told the people that I wanted to and those that I decided not to tell for one reason or another ,I thought that IF and WHEN they did find out I would tell them that on the advice of my solicitor I COULD NOT talk about the case .
                You could always write a heartfelt letter to them that could be given to them in the unlikely event that you are not bailed in between times, and I think that even if you are found guilty you usually have to wait to be sentenced . Good luck to you .

Comment

Working...
                X