Perpetual damage. Getting a job after aquittal name changes, CRBs, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perpetual damage. Getting a job after aquittal name changes, CRBs, etc

This discussion is potentially quite complex, but should be of interest to many here since getting out of the dock is certainly not the end of it!

Despite a horrendous drawn out ordeal that ended over a year ago with a unanimous not guilty verdict after 5mins of deliberation, I am still suffering from a false claim of rape. The cause is an extremely damaging news article printed in a local rag that is now preserved on the internet for evermore.

The article is the "reporters interpretation" of the prosecution's opening statement - which is not even evidence. The article gave legal grounds to sack the jury and to adjourn the case due to nonfactual content compromising the fairness of the trial - though this did not happen, rather the judge instructed the jury to ignore this kind of reporting.

Despite the fact that I was correctly acquitted there is clearly a somewhat awkward social stigma associated with being the center of such accusations which i think it is safe to say would prevent any sane employer from touching me with a barge pole.

In order to attempt to alienate myself from this article i have changed my name. However, the past keeps haunting me. Many jobs these days require a CRB check which this lists either unspent convictions only, all cautions convictions and warnings, or all relevant information held on the PNC depending on disclosure level (Thankfully professions such as teaching, care work, policing, and most civil service roles, for me, are now completely out of the question!)

A CRB check is usually performed pursuant to a conditional offer of employment, which may be retracted should unsatisfactory information come to light in the check. In order to obtain a CRB check previous names are required. However, the CRB provides for sensitive cases, a service designed to prevent discrimination against transgender people.

Points of discussion:

1) Can employers discriminate due to such allegations existing in the public domain? It seems that even if they cannot it would be impossible to prove that discovery of the article was their grounds for not extending an offer of employment.

2) Would failing to inform a potential employer of my previous name constitute grounds for retracting an offer of employment? The content of my crb would satisfy the conditions of an employment offer, but the employer would learn of my previous name since it is required on the CRB form and i am concerned that this, in itself or potential discovery of the article, may allow them to retract the offer.

3) Am i entitled to privacy of my name history? I believe one is allowed to change their name providing it is not for the purpose of deception and they are at liberty to choose who they inform of the name change. It seems that the CRB application form, which requires previous names, constitutes some kind of breach of my privacy which may require the CRB to treat the case sensitively. On the other hand perhaps an attempt to maintain privacy of my name change constitutes some form of deception!

Total damage caused seems endless you can but attempt to minimise it. In hindsight, spontaneously changing my name just prior to being charged, then back again following acquittal may have been better - though I was not concerned with such things at the time.

Unfortunately I had the same experience.
    I have been in the local newspapers and when my trial started on the net.
    But I wouldn't change my name for any reason.
    I've never heard of someone doing this before being judged.

Maybe I am wrong but I would wander why did you do it especially if you had nothing on your conscience.
    I left it for a few months until someone "googled"my name.

I then rang this news website,told them who I was and explain that I wanted it to be deleted.
    The woman told me:
    -But we wrote that you were found unanimously not guilty and the reason why.

I agreed but I just wanted it erased.

Now,the only thing that appears is

We couldn't find the page you asked for
    The page you asked for either doesn't exist or has moved.
    You will be automatically redirected to the site homepage in a few seconds.

When I think about it makes me smile because my age was different from the newspapers and the website.
    And two different adresses with around 50 miles in between.

But for nothing in the world I would change my name.
    I am proud of it,proud of my parents and proud to be not guilty.

Anyway you probably have your own reason to do it and I wish you best of luck npp
    Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Originally posted by Boys don't cry View Post
      Unfortunately I had the same experience.
      I have been in the local newspapers and when my trial started on the net.
      But I wouldn't change my name for any reason.
      I've never heard of someone doing this before being judged.

Maybe I am wrong but I would wander why did you do it especially if you had nothing on your conscience.
      I left it for a few months until someone "googled"my name.

I then rang this news website,told them who I was and explain that I wanted it to be deleted.
      The woman told me:
      -But we wrote that you were found unanimously not guilty and the reason why.

I agreed but I just wanted it erased.

Now,the only thing that appears is

We couldn't find the page you asked for
      The page you asked for either doesn't exist or has moved.
      You will be automatically redirected to the site homepage in a few seconds.

When I think about it makes me smile because my age was different from the newspapers and the website.
      And two different adresses with around 50 miles in between.

But for nothing in the world I would change my name.
      I am proud of it,proud of my parents and proud to be not guilty.

Anyway you probably have your own reason to do it and I wish you best of luck npp
      Hi,

I think you were lucky.... in a way! It seems that your article was perhaps a little more fair, the incorrect age and address is a blessing, and the fact that has gone is amazing.

Mine had no mention of any of the aspects of the case that compelled the jury to find me not guilty. I sought libel advise since non-factual information was printed and i was misquoted but was told that it is "the reporter's interpretation" and "the jury were told" so they could argue their case and there would be no grounds to seek removal of the article.

I did not want to change my name, but was forced to because there is no chance of getting a job in a professional capacity if an employer found the article particularly since the consumption of cocaine was referenced. The worst thing was not knowing whether or not this was the reason for not getting a job. Friends and family know my situation and understand my reasons.

"Maybe I am wrong but I would wander why did you do it especially if you had nothing on your conscience." - yep

The integrity of the defendant, the charges faced, or the verdict reached does not matter, the fact that a candidate has appeared in court charged with a criminal offense will instantly kill any career prospects for most professional employment. Unfortunately for some the likelihood of such a fact coming to the attention of a potential employer is simply down to how unusual their name is, or what kind of job they are applying for (in the case of enhanced disclosure CRBs for teaching, nursing, etc )
      Last edited by npp; 26 October 2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by npp View Post
        Hi,

I did not want to change my name, but was forced to because there is no chance of getting a job in a professional capacity if an employer found the article particularly since the consumption of cocaine was referenced. The worst thing was not knowing whether or not this was the reason for not getting a job. Friends and family know my situation and understand my reasons.

"Maybe I am wrong but I would wander why did you do it especially if you had nothing on your conscience." - yep

The integrity of the defendant, the charges faced, or the verdict reached does not matter, the fact that a candidate has appeared in court charged with a criminal offense will instantly kill any career prospects for most professional employment. Unfortunately for some the likelihood of such a fact coming to the attention of a potential employer is simply down to how unusual their name is, or what kind of job they are applying for (in the case of enhanced disclosure CRBs for teaching, nursing, etc )
        " Lucky",sorry,I forgot about the meaning of this word.
        It wasn't luck,I just called the online news website and they did erase the story within 2 days.
        My name is quite unusual as well,they did stain it but I feel more sorry for my son who also wears it.

The only thing I do agree with you is the professional employment and not only them.
        Education as well if you apply to be a student

The local newspapers was a lot less fair with me and I am just please that my picture didn't appear.
        They just cared about her version and my fame luckily was ephemere.

It was unfortunate you used drugs as well but mixes are often not advised.
        If you have been found not guilty for the sexual offence and the drugs I would suggest you ring this online news website.

Best of luck.
        Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Originally posted by Boys don't cry View Post
          " Lucky",sorry,I forgot about the meaning of this word.
          It wasn't luck,I just called the online news website and they did erase the story within 2 days.
          My name is quite unusual as well,they did stain it but I feel more sorry for my son who also wears it.

The only thing I do agree with you is the professional employment and not only them.
          Education as well if you apply to be a student

The local newspapers was a lot less fair with me and I am just please that my picture didn't appear.
          They just cared about her version and my fame luckily was ephemere.

It was unfortunate you used drugs as well but mixes are often not advised.
          If you have been found not guilty for the sexual offence and the drugs I would suggest you ring this online news website.

Best of luck.
          What exactly did you say to the news publisher? Perhaps i went in a bit confrontational... but i was fuming, they put the daily express to shame.

Comment

I strangely had the local rag a few years back publish a snippet of info with regards to a Dangerous Driving charge I was facing (Local dual carriageway and boy racer angle....).

I called them up and gave them what-for over the phone. They never did publish my subsequent conviction which meant all my stuck up neighbours at my parents bit weren't able to talk about me over Sunday lunch.... A solicitor would've easily gotten it down to Careless Driving but I was determined to represent myself and although I made an ass of it at the time (naively believing innocence mattered in a court!) I learned far more from it than I ever would've done with a mouthpiece doing my work.

I have no recommendations apart from possibly composing a polite letter to the paper involved stating your position and the effects that their article is having. As far as I am led to believe there is a cached Google whereby you can look up all the old stuff which would mean it's still there regardless... I could be wrong...
            Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Npp

I didn't have the privilege to meet them and this is why I don't really trust media.
              I know exactly what happened,so my accuser.
              I wish I could tell more about a few "professional" individuals regarding my son but I had enough problems.
              They just have one side of the story and never came to me.

These newspapers were in total contradiction against one of the witnesses.

So, who would you trust,the media or the best witness you could ever dream of?

Once again they are only doing their jobs and the real rapists deserve this.
              (At least the journalists should apologise when the defendant's reputation is stained when found not guilty)

My boss (bless him) rang the newspapers to complaint that they were happy to tell about my conviction but when I was found not guilty they forgot to mention it.

About the online one I rang them myself,so can you.
              Last edited by Boys don't cry; 26 October 2012, 11:07 PM.
              Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Sorry npp, I think I misunderstood you.

If it was about deleting it from the net.
                I just did contact them saying my name and explained briefly the case.

The operator remembered the story and I told her that despite their fairness to have stated that I have been found NG.
                I didn't really like my name being on the web for an incident of this nature.

She was comprehensive and said that she would ask their website technician and it would take 48 hours.

I hope it will be helpful for you.
                Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Working...
                X