Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A success story - some hope for everyone

Hi All

I'm actually going to share (though not in massive detail) my partner's story. He's been a bit of a lurker reading about others' experiences and I know it's helped him a lot to know that he's not the only one, so I wanted you to hear a success story and to see that, in the end, it's not always bad news.

The (short version) background is thus - he was accused of raping a girl by having sex with her whilst she was asleep. In the end he was hit with two charges as she accused him not only of the vaginal rape but also of forced oral penetration - I personally believe that she added this second false allegation on when her mouth was swabbed for DNA and she realised that the consensual oral sex she'd given earlier would be discovered. Anyway... the claims were ridiculous - I met him whilst he was on bail (luckily he was never on remand) and quite frankly, when I heard the allegations and what the girl had said in evidence (most of it didn't make sense and a lot of it was contradictory), I was shocked that it had found its way into the courtroom at all. The sex was clearly consensual, though the location and embarassment factor was probably enough to have her regret doing it afterwards.

The trial was over 5 days - he was allowed home each night (2 years on bail and still turning up on the first day of the trial was enough to sway the judge that he wasn't a flight risk), but he barely ate anything all week and spent most of it with horrific stomach pains caused by stress. But he got through it and has come out ok.

At the trial, the "victim" turned up, as did the one friend the CPS had chosen to use as a witness. Jury consisted of 7 women and 5 men. "Victim" requested a screen and spent a lot of time crying during her x-examination, probably because most her answered consisted of "don't remember" and "don't know". Her examination in chief evidence consisted of the prosecution showing the tape of her interview at the rape centre the morning after (he'd been arrested in the early hours following the incident) - I'm pretty certain that her lack of any upset or even proper answers that very next morning were enough for the jury to see through it straight away. The defence barrister was incredible - he asked so few questions, but everything he asked was exactly addressed at the questions we'd be asking to ourselves about her potholed evidence. The prosecution really went at my partner during his cross-examination on the 3rd day, but the truth was on our side and he was able to answer all questions with coherent and sensible answers. In the end, it was fairly clear that many of the facts she had alleged were completely impossible. The jury deliberated for less than half an hour. It was that obvious. The NG verdict was given within the hour and he was released from the dock straight away.

We will never know why she did this, or why she kept it going for so long. I assume it was a case of a lie gone too far and difficult to take take. I do also, however, believe that her access to victim support even before the trial did not help matters - telling someone that they are a victim from the outset will not hellp cases such as this. I am looking into ways of fighting this label prior to trial and ways of fighting the biased supoprt offered (i so realise the issues as those actual victims will suffer otherwise...).

Anyway, good luck to all of you, and I can only hope that you are equally as lucky as my partner. It's a fairly empty success after all the pain, but it is worth it. He's rebuilding his life, and you can too.
    Last edited by Success; 10 October 2012, 02:11 PM.

Hi Success, thank you for posting your experiences - it does help others that are going through the same ordeal - that there is light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

I'm pleased that you can now start to slowly rebuild your lives and go with the emotions.
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Success, I cannot thank you enough for posting this.

Your partner has endured a horrific 2 years and you should be proud that you kept him afloat. Recovery will be a long road so please don't hesitate to seek help here should you need it.
      I am glad that the right outcome was reached.

More often than not, juries reach the right verdict. This thread bears a welcome reminder to that. Sometimes reading the stories on the site can paint the picture that injustice is more likely than justice, which is not the case.

Thank you for taking the time to post up this experience. It is very considerate of you to pass thoughts on to those still going through the trauma. And I am glad that your partner found some solace from the forum.
      "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

Thank you so much for this post success. My situation is not totally diss similar and the time scales roughly the same, and to see a positive out come makes a massive difference. Thankyou again.

Comment

So angry and hurt

Thankyou for taking the time to post your experience ,I'm sure we all know how terrible the waiting game is. I am the mum of a f/a young man and your story is similar to ours, the thing that stuck out in your story was the fact that once the lies start it is so hard for the accuser to retract without fear of prosecution and this is why ,I believe, that so many of the "victims" keep up with the pretence . I truly believe that our accuser realised she had made a massive mistake ( because she's a married woman ) and other details that I can't share, and panicked ,made up a story, told somebody in authority,and from there on in there was no going back.
          Your partner is a lucky man to have had all your love and support I hope you can be really happy now for the rest of your lives xx well done to you both xx

Comment

Thanks for posting this! I was particularly interested by the 'can't remember' element as this is the basis for my son being charged. When you say the alleged 'victim' was behind the screen, did she stay there all the time or just when being questioned?
            I hope your story( and the fact you met your partner while on bail, believed and supported him throughout his ordeal) is an encouragement for guys who are scared of entering into another relashionship with a woman.

Comment

Thanks for posting S.

It is nice to hear of a good outcome and reassuring that there are nice people like you that will stand by someone FA.

I hope you have a long and happy life together.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story, Success. It is great to hear such positive news, and will definitely be a huge comfort to others going through the same ordeal

Comment

Originally posted by whatsgoingon? View Post
                  Thanks for posting this! I was particularly interested by the 'can't remember' element as this is the basis for my son being charged. When you say the alleged 'victim' was behind the screen, did she stay there all the time or just when being questioned?
                  I hope your story( and the fact you met your partner while on bail, believed and supported him throughout his ordeal) is an encouragement for guys who are scared of entering into another relashionship with a woman.
                  Apologies for not replying sooner.

She was behind the screen for the entire thing. The jury could see her but not the public, the press nor my partner in the dock. She watched the video from behind the screen and she answered questions from behind the screen. It was a pretty small courtroom so it did require the barristers to switch places to ask questions as otherwise only one could see her. I never did get to see her as they made the public and defendant leave as she entered and exited.

I'm sorry to hear about your son - if it's any consolation, we're both early 20s so really young for this sort of ordeal. My partner's father commented to me soon after that they had worried that he wouldn't be able to trust women again, but I don't think this was ever as much of an issue as they had thought it might be. You have to trust that there are people out there with 1) half a brain cell 2) common sense to listen to the whole story and 3) ability to judge people based on a full picture rather than just one detail. At 23 i certainly wasn't desperate, but I certainly didn't want the hassle either. Fact is, I'm adult enough to know that not everything in life runs smoothly and not everything will be easy.

My partner seems to be completely fine now - every so often a dark cloud looms when certain things come up on tv or in conversation, but he just gets on with it. That's what you have to do.

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply -it's good to know what to expect.
                    I really appreciate your interest and your account of your own experience. I'm sure it's encouraging for many people as there seems to be several people of the 20 age group on here at the moment .
                    I'm so pleased that he's getting over it and that you're both getting on with your livesand wish you both all the very best for the future.

Comment

Success,

You are 1 in a million to stand by your man like you have/still doing. You would of been his rock!

It seems like a carbon copy of mine.

My Barrister said in Court when someone says (falsely) they have been Raped, it starts a motion and once the complaint has been made it gathers so much momentum it is difficult to stop it, so they go with it, regardless of it wrecking our lives!

My only crime was loving women a bit too much, now I'm even scared to look at one in the same light ever again!

You do think that if you get through it you will feel so relieved etc, but I don't I feel hurt and angry of why I had to waste the tax-payers money to go through it all.

They people that supported me were my Employers, because like them I fought for this Country and they knew I was right!!

Comment

Interesting to note that the public gallery was cleared so that the accuser could walk to the stand. This happened in our trial as well. Apparently she was afraid of being identified by my hubby's supporters (ie: me, my family, friends and his family) and by the Press....she has/had a high-profile job dealing with Z-list celebs. Apparently she was going to refuse to give evidence if her request wasn't granted....

Comment

Originally posted by brokenman81 View Post
                          Success,

My only crime was loving women a bit too much, now I'm even scared to look at one in the same light ever again!

You do think that if you get through it you will feel so relieved etc, but I don't I feel hurt and angry of why I had to waste the tax-payers money to go through it all.
                          I think its fair to say that that reaction to a future view of women is understandable. But I think, from what i saw with my partner, the lasting efect should be more that you change the TYPE of woman you go for.

I am definitely not the sort of girl that he was getting with before this ordeal. I'm a lot more intelligent, more independant, far less perma-tanned, much less slutty and more mentally-stable. If we were to break up in future, I have no doubt that he would be looking for someone more like me than like the girls he used to go for.

You just need to consider what traits about her that you would want to avoid in future and find someone a little different.

As for the tax payers - when I pay my taxes I expect some of them to go on administering justice. Justice is the right outcome for the right situation... as such, I personally have no issue with paying for a NG verdict where it is deserved. Other tax payers would feel the same way if they understood some of the travesties of justice that go through our legal system these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Saffron View Post
                            Interesting to note that the public gallery was cleared so that the accuser could walk to the stand. This happened in our trial as well. Apparently she was afraid of being identified by my hubby's supporters (ie: me, my family, friends and his family) and by the Press....she has/had a high-profile job dealing with Z-list celebs. Apparently she was going to refuse to give evidence if her request wasn't granted....
                            I actually think this is the bit I feel most angry about. Labelling someone a "victim" from the outset, before the case has even been proven, is counter-productive and can bias the jury. The screen, I am absolutely certain, can really bias less intelligent members of a jury. Our judge was very good in that he did explain to the jury that it was normal in a rape case to have the screen for the complainant, but given that her evidence was heard first, you should have seen some of their looks in the direction of the dock at the start... Luckily, they soon worked out the truth.

i actually believe that some of these false complainants ask for the screen in order to stop them having to look at the defendant or their families, thereby assuaging any guilt they might have felt in seeing the defendant's mother/wife/family upset by the situation.

Unless there was a violent element to the alleged rape or by the defendant since, the screen is unecessary and quite frankly pointless.

I also have an issue with victim support. I think it is very important, but after a guilty verdict has been given. Before that, the support should be much more geared ONLY towards helping with any alleged psychological trauma and the like, rather than the molly-coddling and constant sympathy for their "victim" status that currently happens.

Comment

I agree with the points you raise. The molly-coddling is blatantly obvious in our 'alleged victime's' statement, the woman PC is all bending over backwards all over her.... she can take a break when she wants, have something to drink when she wants, ask for anything she wants etc. A complete contrast to my son's statement and the way he was treated.
                              Does the AV have stay behind her screen (it makes me think of Cleopatra as played by Elizabeth Taylor for some reason..!) for the whole hearing or is she only present while being questioned?

Comment

Working...
                              X