Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspapers

Hi all

My partner had his preliminary Hearing last Wednesday... it was horrible although we knew it was only a procedure. When we came out of Court, we were chased up the road by Photographers and it was on the front page of the local newspaper the following day. She has obviously sent in a photo of him as there was a photograph in there of him in his Police Uniform from over 10 years ago... and on page 2 there was a big story about him listing all his previous jobs etc. He runs his own Business helping young people who are disaddvantaged, and we realised on Thursday that it is probably going to be the end of his Business, I am so angry at what she is doing to the whole family.

On a positive note, we have been collecting references and statements from friends and family, and they are very good... and we have just received some more fantastic evidence to prove she is being vindictive.

My question is this... can he give his own story to the Newspapers whilst he is on bail? Also, when he is found not guilty (I am saying when not if)... how can he clear his name publicly and could he counter-claim for the defamation of character, loss of business, stress for the whole family, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Hopeful

Hopeful

It is always traumatic for this to happen and I am sorry that it has.

In terms of what you have advised, it IS possible for your other half to give his side of the story to the media although it is inadvisable.
    The reason being is that the media can twist or edit anything that is said and may only print part of the story which may further paint him in a poor light. Also, anything that he says, can be further used in court.

As for when a not guilty verdict comes, the only way that you would be able to make a claim against the newspapers is if they have printed something that is not factually correct. Sadly, they have most likely stated what he is charged with and used words such as 'alleged'
    This frees them from any liabilities...they are usually quite careful with how they phrase things.

However, if on the small chance they have stated he is guilty of the offences when in fact he is not, then you would have a claim.
    "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeful View Post
      Hi all

My partner had his preliminary Hearing last Wednesday... it was horrible although we knew it was only a procedure. When we came out of Court, we were chased up the road by Photographers and it was on the front page of the local newspaper the following day. She has obviously sent in a photo of him as there was a photograph in there of him in his Police Uniform from over 10 years ago... and on page 2 there was a big story about him listing all his previous jobs etc. He runs his own Business helping young people who are disaddvantaged, and we realised on Thursday that it is probably going to be the end of his Business, I am so angry at what she is doing to the whole family.

On a positive note, we have been collecting references and statements from friends and family, and they are very good... and we have just received some more fantastic evidence to prove she is being vindictive.

My question is this... can he give his own story to the Newspapers whilst he is on bail? Also, when he is found not guilty (I am saying when not if)... how can he clear his name publicly and could he counter-claim for the defamation of character, loss of business, stress for the whole family, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Hopeful
      Was the Court in your hometown??

Comment

Sadly people who work at newspapers normally have a very clever and deceitful way with words. They'll have printed a scandelous story which conveys guilt but doesn't actually state it. I would recommend that you avoid giving any 'stories' to the newspapers as they will NOT print them accurately and will merely continue the assault on his character but with 'facts' (from his own mouth) rather than speculation.

The story may feel more hurtful/deceitful etc because it is about him and all that is happening just now is still raw on all of your minds. It is extremely nasty that a 'trial by media' is taking place BEFORE an actual proper trial. If it is believed that this is damaging any possibilities of a successful defence then your solicitor/barrister should be made aware of it and it should also be brought up in court. It could be used, strangely, to your advantage for a defence. Do you get any indication of where the story has originated from?
        Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Originally posted by Faith View Post
          Hopeful

As for when a not guilty verdict comes, the only way that you would be able to make a claim against the newspapers is if they have printed something that is not factually correct. Sadly, they have most likely stated what he is charged with and used words such as 'alleged'
          This frees them from any liabilities...they are usually quite careful with how they phrase things.

However, if on the small chance they have stated he is guilty of the offences when in fact he is not, then you would have a claim.

Unfortunately papers will print almost anything they have been told by the other side, in these cases. Their get-out is 'we printed in good faith'. Plus of course they also print what has been said at trial so anything that has been said in a 'court of law' is fair game. False accusers obviously give false testimony but that doesn't automatically mean they can be prosecuted for perjury. Very few are as we know.

Even when the defendant is found not guilty we often read about the 'disappointment' of the complainant in the media.

Best not to approach the press until after trial and only if a not guilty verdict is given.....and only if the evidence that she/he is lying about the alleged offences is overwhelming. It could comeback on you badly if you go to the press now.
          People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Thank you all for your help and responses. The Court was in a nearby town, but as he is an ex-Police Officer, it was a good story for them.

He will not give his side of the story until after the trial. We have discussed it greatly over the last couple of days. Sunday was a bad day, he was at the lowest I have ever seen him. I just feel so angry that she can do this to him and his family. When this is all over, and if a not-guilty verdict is given, I would just feel so much better knowing that we can do something to stop her from continuing to make our lives hell... as I feel like she will not stop until he is back to the depressed, suicidal and needy state that he was in when she left him all those years ago. We have already decided to move towns after all this, and one of our dreams is to live in France, so this has also given us an extra boost to do this... we are just clinging on to any positives that we can.

Comment

Well done Hopeful, that's the spirit. Use this horrible ordeal as a kick-start for a new life. You'll never look back

Comment

Working...
              X