Questions - sorry if in wrong area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions - sorry if in wrong area

If someone has been accused of rape or sexual assault on a minor 5 years ago, is it usual for their computer items etc. not to be taken by police? I read the 'what happens now' sticky and wondered the above.

Many thanks for any insights and experience.
    Last edited by friday; 10 May 2012, 05:00 PM. Reason: request

No, it is not usual for computers or data storage to be not taken. Usually these are taken in the hope there are other child sexual imagery to be used as an add-on charge to the historic one.

That said, don't take it as necessarily a good sign that they weren't taken - they could come back and take at any time.

Comment

Hello Kiakaha

I can only tell you from my personal experience my son's computer was not taken for investigation. Our case is also a historical case with a minor.

I am sure there will be other members along shortly to give you advice regarding the statement issues with the police as this did not happen in our case.

Comment

If they genuinely thought they might have a chance of finding something on a computer, then they would take it straight away...as it could easily be wiped or disposed of otherwise.

It's quite unusual as, like LS said, they would normally chance their luck and hope to find something they can use.

Please don't build any false hope however. The allegation remains and has nothing to do with a computer, so the real fight is against that. Take care
        "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

I would just add that it is pretty darned difficult to erase all trace of iffy things on computers. *Most* freely-available evidence-wipers do not work sufficiently to beat the program that forensics use (En-case).
          It is a false fallacy to think that because no one took the pc today they won't come back for it later.
          Plod knows that anything iffy on it will still be there weeks later, long after you've tried to wipe it.
          The only safe way to to prevent things falling into plod's hands is either to destroy or lose the hard drive.

Comment

Sorry yes, that's what I meant when I said disposed of otherwise, but I didn't make it clear.
            "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

Thank you so far!

Thank you ever so much for the responses. I obviously want hope but am just trying to make sense of the police actions. I do appreciate what everyone says and it seems different forces act in different ways. I suppose I'm trying to second guess them but I can't since this is my first run in ever with police. . I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found this site. Thank you to everyone who adds whatever they can. I certainly will do what I can to help others when I know more.

How about my other questions? Has anyone experienced treatment as described above please? Much appreciated.
              Last edited by friday; 10 May 2012, 04:54 PM. Reason: request from member

Comment

Hi Kiakaha

99% of people who find themselves stumbling onto the site have never ever had any issues with the police. It is an unwelcomed wake up call that the perception we have of innocent until proved guilty does not exsist in cases like ours.

Unfortunantly it is a lottery up and down the country with regards to how you are treated by the police but there are lots of similarities. One of the first pieces of advice i was given was to create a timeline, gather as much information as possible during the period of accusation. Look for a possible motive of why there has been an accusation and build your case from there. Gather facebook records, any correspondance that you have between yourself and the accuser.

By following this advice myself i was able to produce a motive and locate evidence which will hopefully support my son IF his case goes to trial. DO NOT give anything you are able to find to the police. It was my instinct to give our arresting officer everything i could find to discredit my son's accuser BUT this is not the right thing to do. The police are known for leaking your evidence to your accuser and are often seen to loose evidence to support your case.

Keep busy, (easier said than done i know).

Comment

Working...
                X