The CPS changed an indictment at last minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CPS changed an indictment at last minute

The CPS has changed one of the indictments of Rape to an act of indecency at the last minute but have given no explanation can they do this and if so why do they do it .It cannot be right that they can keep changing the charges to suit themselfs.

Any advice welcome

This does arise from time to time. It annoys people, however in the circumstances of REDUCING the charge I would say that it is a positive.

It makes clear that there is not enough evidence, in their opinion, to substantiate a rape charge but that there could be for indecency.

They can and do do this before the indictment is served, up until then everyone is working on speculation. At the point of formalising everything changes do take place.

I would read it as a positive but also a negative if there are still more serious charges on the indictment. Rather than dropping some of them they are continuing with the strong ones as they are and lessening the not so strong ones. It still doesn't help the defence as the legal arguments and justifications are still as long. It does help if a sentence is handed out though, lesser offence lesser sentence. It could be seen as providing room for a plea bargain of type if the evidence supporting the more serious is substantial but really you would need to have you solicitor explain it all to you in detail as without seeing everything and knowing it all it would be hard to give an online diagnosis further than speculative.
    Wow... A signature option!

Comment

yes, i would say it is positive if rape become act of indecency instead! they changed the indictments even at the PCHM. But as long as the charges is reducing it is good then..

Comment

Working...
      X