Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Compensation Schemes Fuel False Rape Allegations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell everybody,

I am fully agree that the present compensation scheme for rape victims is fuelling false rape allegations. I am a victim of false rape allegations and one of the main motives involved was to get some money at the expence of ruining my life. There are such criminal minded people in this society who can do anything to get some money and they have/are misusing the compensation schemes ruining the life of innocent people as well as affecting the real rape victims.

Comment

Yep

Comment

i too am a victim of a false rape allegation. just going through the agonising process now of being seen as dirty and perverted by the police even though they have conceeded that there is no medical evidence to suggest rape, there are texts from the complainant being suggestive about having sex with me, and a very concise statement from myself detailing every point and including forensic evidence that will prove my innocence (but the police dont want to come back to my house to pick up the evidence!).

i looked into compensation as avictim of a false accusation, yet i cannot receive anything. however, the complainant can apply for criminal injuries even if there is a not guilty verdict, and she can receive up to ten thousand pounds!! all for a packof lies! what do i get? my house taken away from me, loss of employment, loss of friends and associates! oh yes what a fair system! in my case i do not think the complainant made the allegations for money, but once she realises she can receive compensation she will put in for it!

Comment

Out of interest - if the motive in your accuser's case was not money, what was it?
          People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

no, i was raped and applied to the cica 2 years later. i dont think people even know that you can receive compensation most of the time. it was the police that told me. i dont believe if someone is found not guilty the victim should have to pay the money back because not guilty does NOT necessarily mean didnt do it. it just means there was some doubt (and this can be anything rediculous the perpetrator makes up) in my case he used the fact i was in hospital to say i was mad when in fact it was being raped that made me suicidal and have to go into hospital.

for it to go to court the police must believe a crime occurred and there is at least a 50% chance of conviction (because court cases are expensive) and therefore i believe the victim should be entitled to keep the compensation beacuse of injuries or trauma. try living with flashbacks and nightmares everynight and having to leave your home because you are terrified of him hurting you and then ask the question whether the compensation is even a fair amount, especially after you realise that the legal system can't protect you. i don't think any amount of money was worth going to court. let alone worth being raped.
            "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Originally posted by val lavender View Post
              This is the first time that I have started a new topic, so I
              There is no doubt that false rape allegations exist though the exact percentage of total allegations is not known.
              It's a difficult thing to gauge. If you believe conviction statistics, 93% of rapes are false allegations. I think everyone here will agree that can't be true especially as rape is thought to be woefully under reported.

This article is interesting:

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/cri...e_rape_st.html

I think the key point is, currently there is no evidence to suggest false allegations are any more common than a false allegation in any other type of crime (although I hasten to add that in this article, they describe a woman with obvious mental illness problems as an "unreliable reporter". As someone with PTSD and self harm issues but also a highly qualified scientist, I'd be alarmed if I was described in the same way.)

I do think and have posted here before about this that some people think they are not guilty of rape when they are. My ex who repeatedly raped me by forcing me to have sex while I was asleep for example. That is rape. I doubt he sees it that way and is probably still doing the same to other women.

Comment

i have absolutly no doubt it does fuel false accusations.

Comment

Whenever there's a chance of getting money some people will lie to try and get it.

Do you remember that bogus "kidnap" of the girl in Yorkshire?
                  Kindness is the most important thing.
                  After that maybe sincerity.
                  Be true to yourself.
                  A condemnation out of ignorance is always unjust.

Comment

I'm amazed that 6 years after this thread was started people can still claim compo for rape to be honest. Yes I expect the knives are going in my back already.
                    But what about compo for people falsly accused? The flash backs they get from hours/days spent in a police cell wondering wtf is going on here??! The nightmares of prisons & their life being pretty much over? Having to leave their homes & children whilst the police drag their heels 'investigating'
                    Where is their compo??
                    Being raped shouldn't equal a financial payout, terrible as it is, there are lots of terrible things in life, which dont warrant payment for.

Comment

Interestingly many genuine rape survivors do not like accepting financial compensation - it makes them feel as though they are being paid for being raped.
                      In other European countries compensation for rape victims has been scraped and replaced by top-notch therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by Saffron View Post
                        Interestingly many genuine rape survivors do not like accepting financial compensation - it makes them feel as though they are being paid for being raped.
                        In other European countries compensation for rape victims has been scraped and replaced by top-notch therapy.
                        Which if you think about it, makes way more sense. In theory, they are being paid for being raped. What else is it for? Money wont help something like that, therapy may though.

Comment

And on a side note although I applied and was awarded compensation I haven't accpeted it because I can't deal with even talking to the CICA about it. Trying to clam for a trauma is traumatic. I actually have no idea what is happening with it, I have moved twice since I made the claim! I suspect if I contacted them now they would say it was too late. If I actually get the money I will use it to pay for my education which was so messed up because of the rape, hospital, the trial, the retrial, the aftermath etc.

I think those who have been falsely accused should also be able to claim compensation but it would have to be under the same circumstances as any other crime. It would have to be reported to the police and thought to be, on a balance of probabilities, to be a true claim.
                          "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

When someone's been violated like that how can you put a price on it?

Equally, when someone's been falsely accused of doing it how can you compensate them?

It's not money that helps you pull through.

IMO it's support from other people.

I'd never condemn anyone for taking money and I don't think it's right or wrong in itself.

On the other hand, we do have a compensation culture in this country.

The most important thing in all this has to be the victims.
                            Be true to yourself.

Comment

Genuine victims.

Comment

I don't think it's quite that bad.

It's a lot worse in Europe, America and the Third World.

Also on the whole most people are decent and genuine and I don't think you have to despair.

God knows I've had enough self-hatred and dark nights of the soul but I'm a fighter and basically an optimist.

You have to be to get rhrough your life when it's been shattered.

We live in a country where we're facing rising unemploment, higher prices, greater repression and so on.

Yes, it's bad and it's worse than it was a few years ago.

Is it hell on earth? I don't think so.

People of goodwill have to stand up to evil and fight it.

In my opinion, anyway.
                                Be true to yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X