Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Yesterday I was accused of rape and arrested I have never been in trouble in my life and im finding it difficult to deal with. I met a girl whilst out got chatting as you do went through the night and asked her back, we walked to mine not far from club kissing etc and then went in mine and ended up having se* she left after talking for a while and called a taxi and I thought no more of it. The next day I get a knock at my do from 2 police who basically tell me im being arrested on suspition of rape. At the station it turns out her boyfriend which she lied to me about and said she was single called and reported it. It seems that rather than admit she lied to go back to blokes house and tell her boyfriend the truth I must suffer. There are many things in her story that she has lied about and so far thanks to some cctv this can be proven but I cant help but worry they will not belive me and I have no knowledge of how it all works I feel sick and really depressed at the moment and its really starting to get to me please can anyone help me please...

Originally posted by Cashby01 View Post
    Yesterday I was accused of rape and arrested I have never been in trouble in my life and im finding it difficult to deal with. I met a girl whilst out got chatting as you do went through the night and asked her back, we walked to mine not far from club kissing etc and then went in mine and ended up having se* she left after talking for a while and called a taxi and I thought no more of it. The next day I get a knock at my do from 2 police who basically tell me im being arrested on suspition of rape. At the station it turns out her boyfriend which she lied to me about and said she was single called and reported it. It seems that rather than admit she lied to go back to blokes house and tell her boyfriend the truth I must suffer. There are many things in her story that she has lied about and so far thanks to some cctv this can be proven but I cant help but worry they will not belive me and I have no knowledge of how it all works I feel sick and really depressed at the moment and its really starting to get to me please can anyone help me please...
    you are in the right place. many of us have similar stories. I'm about 4 months into my insanity here in the US.

At this point I highly recommend that you talk to a lawyer or a solicitor in your country as soon as possible. Make no statements to the police other than your name and address.

If there is cctv evidence then I'm sure your lawyer can get that and help out your case.

Also, like I was told, document everything you can remember and give it to your lawyer and let him/her decide what is important. Also, hide these documents on a flash drive or something where the police cant find them.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who will be able to help you out in whatever way they can.
    veritas, amore et spes

Comment

Welcome to the site, sorry it is under what you face.

Many of the people on the site have or are going through what you are.

it goes with out saying, seek the advice of a good solicitor and remember to stay upbeat and to not allow to dwell, this is easier said than done, as all the feelings and emotions, and thoughts what if i had done this and what if i had done that will be running through your mind.

You may like i have had, thought about ending it or giving up, this is a very hard emotion and sadly this type of offence does cause you to doubt yourself and ability to think straight.

It is important that your honest with your family and those close to you, as without there support it becomes even harder. If you cant sleep or have thoughts of self harm, there are many people, The Samaritans, M.I.N.D in your area that can help. Go to your doctor and see what they can do to help.

With what you face with the police, they are duty bound and while I am no fan of them and there ways, play the game with them, but don't do this alone. If you have evidence, run it past your solicitor first as the Police can use this against you, or stop the evidence from being used to your advantage.

The Police may well be very gentle with you acting like your friend, so you open up, this is down to there training, but be warned don't give them anything, answer the direct questions they ask, and try to not give them anything more they ask, as this could be used against you.

Read some of the posts on the site, but be warned, some will make you feel worried sick, thinking this is going to happen to me. Every case is different, and although we all right on here things, it is not always the truth and people will often only put in what they want seen.

You have to be strong and look at the facts, which is easier said than done, but if in your heart you have not done what is said, fight it till you cant breath and fight some more. Don't be afraid to gather evidence you think will help you, but make copies and give it to someone safe as the Police can and will try to take this from you.

Hope it works out for you.

Comment

Help

Thanks for your comments and I understand what you say, I have found it difficult and have never been in trouble with the law in my life so stuggle to see how it works, I worry that this could be used to her advantage. We walked back together for about 30 mins kissing etc and in her statement she said nothing about this to make it seem like I tricked her to come back and she was not interested. The one thing I hope helps me is I told them about this and where we walked is covered in cctv camera which show exactly what I explained to every detail and I was 100% honest and accurate with what I said, what is the chance this will help my case as she never even told the police and left it all out to help her case and make me seem like scum. They said to me if you are innocent not to worry but im not stupid I have seen people convicted who are innocent and its already had a great impact on my life, the will speak to my ex girlfriend as well and although we are not together she knows me well and the type of man I am but with all this I cant help but feel like a scape goat and im worried sick. My other big problem is I dont know if i can afford the high fee for a solicitor or lawyer and worry that without proper representation I will not be believed even with cctv and witnesses to things she has lied about and like you have said they may find ways not to use my evidence what can I do to stop this, if she new how her lies had affected my life if I am found innocent I will not let this go she needs to learn you cant destroy peoples life like this.

Comment

Once you are charged you will be entitled to public funding (the old "Legal Aid") so do not worry about having to find the money.

In some areas they are rolling out schemes whereby they will means-test you to see if you can afford to pay towards it. Your solicitor should be able to guide you there.
          People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Great advice from Gareth and RF.

Just want to add....You need to get hold of this CCTV footage. That is very urgent, so push your sol to get it done. Please please don't under-estimate what you are up against. Please don't assume that the prosecution has to prove your guilt "beyond reasonable doubt". Conversely, I'm afraid it's very much up to you to prove your innocence. I know that's wrong, but you should assume the worst.

Sorry, I am not best placed to offer you advice

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your advice and this may sound stupid but if im charged but found not guilty do I still have a criminal record as this will destroy my work everything. Also how do I go about getting cctv would I need solicitor to do this?
              Last edited by Cashby01; 2 August 2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

It is not a stupid question.

If you have not committed any other crime and you are found not guilty on this then you will have no criminal record - HOWEVER - the allegation(s) could show up on any ECRB application by employers or prospective employers.

You can approach the Chief Constable in your area, should this occur and request the details be removed. Expect a bit of a fight on that one.

Your solicitor will have to apply for any evidence that could assist you. If this does not bear fruit, the barrister can apply to the judge for this at various court hearings - if the matter gets that far.

Comment

sorry if im butting in rf , how hard would it be to get your details removed if your case has been nfad

Comment

You would have to approach the Chief Constable with your arguments. If you have evidence to suggest that the complainant is lying then you should put this however if it is just word on word you are not likely to succeed.

Your MP or your solicitor are best placed to assist with this.

Comment

Working...
                    X