Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historic False Accusation of Rape from 20+ years ago!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic False Accusation of Rape from 20+ years ago!

Hi all, just thought perhaps others might have some useful advise for our situation.

To summarise: My stepdad has been falsely accused of rape from 20 or so years ago, from a girl we know and who had lived with us for a period of time as she had fallen out with her mother - who was my stepdad's ex.

2 police turned up at our door a few weeks ago, asked for my stepdad. My mum answered and told them he was at work (many miles away). They asked a few general questions, like how long we'd lived here, who lived here etc.. gave her paper with info on, said "it was nothing to worry about" and left. She phoned him at work to tell him what happened and that they asked for him to get in contact asap, either by phone or email. He rang them straight away.

They wouldn't tell him what it was about but needed him to attend a police station to be interviewed under caution and that "It's nothing to worry about.". He said if he is being interviewed under caution then it must be something to worry about. All they could say was there has be a allegation.

So roll on a couple weeks (of torment as we were all just going over and over it thinking what it was about. We all felt it had a high possibility of being linked to his ex as she was an alcoholic and a nasty piece of work) and today he went for the interview. Turns out he has been accused of rape (I think 3 times) by a girl (who is the daughter of his ex, but not his daughter) who had lived with us all those years ago for a period of time due to her falling out with her mother at the time. I think he said she'd also accused him of beating her up too.
    My mum was a house-person during this time and home practically all the time. This girl was never alone with my stepdad. She even has accused him of rape at a time where apparently I was present, asleep in the back of his vehicle. This is absolute, total lies. I would have been about 12 or 13 at the time.

We had moved away from the area we used to live over 15 years ago now and not heard her or his ex for even longer than that. This is totally just out of the blue. We are all shocked. Why would she want to do this, what does she hope to gain out of it?

I believe they are now going to look into more records / info etc from his past at this point.

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice or support <3
    Last edited by BooandtheDoo; 6 February 2023, 11:22 PM.

Hello and welcome to the forum (though sorry to read of the circumstances that have brought you here)

The forum, in common with many, is fairly inactive nowadays, folks seem to prefer posting on social media!

If you get no other responses there is a 'Useful Information' section on here which might be of help and I've included a couple of links below:

The first is a guide which I wrote some years ago for anyone in your stepdad's position. I've glanced through it and it is still relevant except for the situation regarding bail. The police find the current time limits on bail constraining so they tend to release those they have arrested and interviewed as being 'under investigation' (not sure from your account if he was formally arrested or not or whether he had a duty solicitor with him?)

I've also included Peter 1975 's list of other organisations which offer support to the falsely accused.

You've been Falsely Accused....What happens now? - The People's Concerns: Support &amp; Discussion Forums (daftmoo.org.uk)

Other forums and support organisations. - The People's Concerns: Support &amp; Discussion Forums (daftmoo.org.uk)

The unknown factor, as you mentioned, is why now after all these years? Undoubtedly this is a question the police will have put to her when she approached them but her response will be confidential. The best you or your stepdad could do is discreetly (obviously you must not contact her directly!) look at her social media pages and see if there has been any recent upheavals in her life.

Coping with this situation is easier if there is an explanation 'why' and also if there is someone supportive to discuss matters with. In this instance he is so lucky to have yourself and your mother on his side.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Hi Casehardened, Thanks for getting back to me.

Stepdad wasn't arrested, we just had police knock at the door, said they were from [FA's county - which is like 2 hours from us] and they left us a note for him to get in contact with them via email or phone. Mum phoned him and he phoned them straight away and they arranged a date to attend the station to be interviewed under caution. For 2 weeks it was total torture not knowing what it was all about. I had done a lot of reading online and it was repetitively suggested to have a duty solicitor in any case, so mum got that arranged for him.

On your advice I've managed to find her across a couple social sites but it seems she doesn't seem to use them regularly, with minimal posts. But it will be something I'll keep my eye on for sure.

We can only think this must be to gain money, if what I've read on various sites is true that she would be able to get some from this?
      Either that or some kind of warped jealously that we are all still together and living our lives and perhaps she feels left out and wants to try and cause upheaval? I've no idea.
      Last edited by BooandtheDoo; 8 February 2023, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Hi B&D,

Thanks for replying (and also for your kind support for Smith22)

It's good that your stepdad wasn't arrested (though that might simply be that as the allegation was from so long ago that there was no need for a search or DNA) as there are far less restrictions on him (though still not advisable to contact her!)

I'm glad he did have a duty solicitor; hopefully he was able to give him some reassurance on the possible outcome.

AFAIK the accuser will only benefit financially if she wins the case and sues your stepdad (or sells her story to a magazine!)

Comment

Hello Boo, welcome to the forum.

CH is right about the demise of the forum, quite why people would give up the advantages of an anonymous forum for social media is beyond me but there are lots of helpful and supportive people in those FB groups. I would recommend Helga Speck's PAFAA for historical allegations.

It's not often that CH is wrong but he has forgotten that yes, the criminal injuries compensation authority (CICA) is a government scheme that pays compensation to victims of violent crime. The sums are not exactly life changing but the sliding scale for sexual offences ranges from a few hundred pounds to 11k for rape and that can be doubled if there are psychological injuries. Notorious Operation Midland fraudster Carl Beech defrauded the CICA of 22k before he received an 18 year sentence. There does not have to be a conviction or even a charge but claimants are expected to co-operate with an investigation.

Your stepdad can make a subject access request (SAR) to the CICA under the data protection act to see if a claim has been made against him but they cannot tell him who made that claim or how much it was for. IIRC, a CICA claim must be made within two years of the police complaint.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on social media and screenshotting anything that might be relevant but it's also worth examining your own social media and whether the accuser may have been able to see anything that she could have used to refresh her memory and add convincing detail to her story.

I know you are working on limited information but one other thing to possibly consider is that the FA has developed false memories. The BFMS are the experts there. Their details are in the link CH posted above.

As you may have gathered, these things can sometimes drag on for months or even years so the support of family and friends is as vital as having a good solicitor. I'm glad to see your stepdad is in good hands.

Note to self and others, DO NOT USE POUND SIGNS OR THE SOFTWARE WILL DELETE YOUR TEXT!!
          Last edited by Peter1975; 9 February 2023, 10:44 PM.
          For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
          https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

CH
            Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
            Hi B&D,

Thanks for replying (and also for your kind support for Smith22)

It's good that your stepdad wasn't arrested (though that might simply be that as the allegation was from so long ago that there was no need for a search or DNA) as there are far less restrictions on him (though still not advisable to contact her!)

I'm glad he did have a duty solicitor; hopefully he was able to give him some reassurance on the possible outcome.

AFAIK the accuser will only benefit financially if she wins the case and sues your stepdad (or sells her story to a magazine!)

CH - long time no squeak!

I've known complainants get a payout from CICA with a NG verdict. All they need is a crime reference number and been interviewed by the police. All courtesy of the tax payer.
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Great to hear from you RF, and thanks to yourself & Peter for correcting my error

Comment

Comment

Hello all,

If there are still people here hanging around, I just wanted to post an update on my stepdad's case:

It's great news! - my stepdad has now received a letter 5 months on with NFA. We are all so happy and relieved. He was lucky to have it decided so quickly.

Comment

That's great news Boo, I hope that you are able to move on quickly from this and never look back.
                    For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
                    https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Originally posted by BooandtheDoo View Post
                      Hello all,
                      If there are still people here hanging around, I just wanted to post an update on my stepdad's case:

It's great news! - my stepdad has now received a letter 5 months on with NFA. We are all so happy and relieved. He was lucky to have it decided so quickly.

That's great news Boo! x

Comment

Thanks for the update, and I'm so pleased to hear this news!

Comment

Working...
                        X