NFA about a month ago - dealing with ongoing anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFA about a month ago - dealing with ongoing anxiety

Is there any advice on how to deal with this going toward? There is still lots of uncertainty for me - part of me feels like I’m never going to be able to move forward. I suspect this a normal response for lots of people but any kind words would be appreciated.
    Last edited by JC91; 7 May 2022, 07:27 PM.

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum,

The forum is not very active now (folks seem to mostly sign up now on the various FB groups) although we still have many long-standing members some of whom will undoubtedly be along in a day or so.

Not sure that I'm best qualified to give you any advice on moving forward as I'm still here after quite a few years but I can say that eventually you will spend far more time not thinking about what you have just gone through than going over it; a month is very early days!

Note my signature.....
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Hi JC91,

You're right - yours is a very normal response. At one month it's very early days yet so please be gentle with yourself and don't expect too much. For some an NFA is a bit of an anti-climax and doesn't bring with it the relief and delight that they were hoping for, but time does make a big difference for most people.

The best advice I can give you is to not try to do anything in particular but just 'be'. Things will settle/get better/ readjust at their own pace and before you know it you will be looking back and thinking that you are spending less time fretting about things than you used to.

I realise that that's not as concrete or helpful as your probably hoping for but remember that you suffered a trauma and lived with that trauma for some time. It's bound to take time for you to recover. If your mental health is still wobbly in a while and you're getting more anxious rather than less - or not improving at all - don't be afraid to seem some medical help, but as both Casehardened and I say, a month is very early days. You WILL be able to move forward and probably in less time than you fear right at the moment.

'Mongolian Warriors had the courage of lions, the patience of hounds, the prudence of cranes, the long-sightedness of ravens, the wildness of wolves, the passion of fightingcocks, the keenness of cats, the fury of wild boars and the cunning of foxes.' BE A MONGOLIAN WARRIOR WHEN DEFENDING YOUR INNOCENCE!

Comment

Hi JCg1 - we have been there and know the hurt does not help how you feel today but hopefully helps it feel that what you are going through is 'normal'.

I think its a form of PTSD?

For meat was things like I could not answer the door when someone knocked loudly for a long time, it just sent me into a panic. There was stuff I avoided as I was scared of it.

I think being on edge for so long during investigations & bail when you know that any moment your life could be turned inside out is a form of pure torture that an adrenalin etch into our minds. A damp squib of NFA (generally without even a letter to make it feel real) can't compete with the deep scars inflicted over the previous months.

You may think counselling is not for you but talking to someone does help normalise feelings and they will likely give you some good ideas of exercises on coping with the stresses of the uncertainty you are feeling.

The best news is it gets better !

Sadly in my case it was not just waking up one morning to find it gone but it fades with time, it fades faster with help but it certainly gets better as you get out more do stuff and make new positive memories it retreats to a point where its not invasive and to remember you need to think about it.

Hang on in there your good

Comment

https://chng.it/jdpc6cTfLp

Comment

Excellent post 298

A shock to the system will inevitably take time to process and move past but please take heart, nearly everyone does eventually.
            For reliable legal aided advice in the London or home counties area, contact Harvey Fox of Freemans Solicitors, London. ( Private clients nationwide) :
            https://freemanssolicitors.net/team_members/harvey-fox/

To join secure closed forums for those falsely accused of historical sex offences visit https://pafaaorg.wordpress.com/

For help and advice with appealing convictions visit https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-pacso-forums/

Comment

Working...
            X