Getting a copy of the tapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a copy of the tapes

Hi all - in several threads in different sections of the forum, it's been mentioned that the interviewing officer should either give you a copy of the tapes or tell you how you can obtain one. Neither of these two things happened when I was interviewed. How do I go about getting a copy of my tape please?
    "Only love can light the mirror of your soul" - Chris de Burgh

Your solicitor would usually obtain this if and when you are charged
    "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

Thanks Faith - shan't worry bout this for a while then - hopefully never.....

Comment

That's the spirit hon x
        "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

Originally posted by myhome View Post
          Hi all - in several threads in different sections of the forum, it's been mentioned that the interviewing officer should either give you a copy of the tapes or tell you how you can obtain one. Neither of these two things happened when I was interviewed. How do I go about getting a copy of my tape please?
          I may have unintentionally misled folks as I was given a copy of my interview tapes by the OIC to pass on to a solicitor once I'd found one(yes, I know)

That particular tape recorder produced three tapes: one master copy & one each for the CPS & DP, but it seems that the system is different now in that only two tapes are produced: one master & one working copy. This variation in procedures may be just down to local practices (or possibly to save money!)

So it would seem that the defence can only request a copy of the tape post-charge (but I can't presently find the reference to confirm this)

Edit to add link:

Where it is decided to play a tape in court as part of the prosecution case the court and the defence should be informed. The defence should be supplied with a copy of the tape if they have not already asked for one.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/t...ed_interviews/
          Last edited by Casehardened; 13 January 2013, 10:44 PM. Reason: to insert link
          'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
            but it seems that the system is different now in that only two tapes are produced: one master & one working copy. This variation in procedures may be just down to local practices (or possibly to save money!)
            In my interview there were 8!!! 4 that went in first then it seems they had to put in another 4 cos the interrogation went on so long...

Comment

Originally posted by myhome View Post
              In my interview there were 8!!! 4 that went in first then it seems they had to put in another 4 cos the interrogation went on so long...
              I was transported absolutely miles so that they had the facilities to do 3 at a time.

...I got through 5 sets of 3 tapes...

Comment

I also had 2 tapes. (45 mins x 2) with two copies of each. Steve, I can't be certain, but I think that as soon as you find a solicitor, you are entitled to a copy of the tapes even during the investigation, before it is decided by the police and CPS whether or not to bring charges. I think even without a solicitor at this stage you're still entitled to a copy.

However, if the police have your computer, then from what I gather on the forum, it will be likely to take some time before they get to examining it.

(Your various threads are making it a little complicated for me to follow your story.....)
                Last edited by just married; 15 January 2013, 09:37 AM.
                I'm not ready to make nice

Comment

Sorry, myhome, I've just realised this is your thread. Thought it was steve22. My mistake.
                  Hope all's as well as can be.

I also want a copy of my tapes, so if anyone has further info, please share.
                  I will look through all my old files to see if I can find the procedure.

JM
                  Last edited by just married; 15 January 2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by just married View Post
                    Sorry, myhome, I've just realised this is your thread. Thought it was steve22. My mistake.

I also want a copy of my tapes, so if anyone has further info, please share.
                    I will look through all my old files to see if I can find the procedure.

JM
                    Sorry guys i already had the answer to this but didn't give it because im rubbish!

Annoyingly i accidentally chucked the original info given to me when being taped. But i believe you can request the tapes before being charged by contacted the officer in charge of your case (detailed on the bail paperwork) but i may be wrong about the contact- this is where i would start.

There is an admin charge of £10 or £20 to get them before being charged but you are entitled to these free after being officially charged with the crime as per your rights you are entitled to any evidence the prosecution has to prepare a defense.

I hope this makes sense and sorry its still a little vague.

Comment

thanks Steve. Well posted.

Comment

Hi JM - no worries - that's what happens in discussions!!!
                        This is my second week back at work so a big improvement, though just numb, scared and disbelieving when home on my own....MH

Comment

Hey MH.

You're so lucky to have duty to call, gal! - A proper routine to get back into! Well done you.
                          Don't be scared.....

I've still got the bit between my teeth with my terminal relationship.... and I just can't leave it alone, or forget it.
                          I'm going to be looking through all my arrest paperwork, which I've dug out of the wardrobe and is now on the sofa, to find the correct procedure to apply for these tapes.

take care, x

Comment

Getting a Copy of the Tapes.

Hi again. Just spent a depressing half hour rummaging through my old paperwork.
                            Sure enough, the 'Notice to Person Whos Interview Has Been Tape Recorded., which the interviewed person will have signed, says.....
                            "I understand that if I am charged or informed that I will be prosecuted, I am entitled to a copy of the tape(s)".

That would seem to mean only what it says. I wasn't charged, and received an NFA seven months ago.
                            I have a serious bee in my bonnet, and want a copy of my tapes now. Any experienced members got any facts? Can I get them? How can I get them?

JM

Comment

Hi again. Just spent a depressing half hour rummaging through my old paperwork.
                              Sure enough, the 'Notice to Person Whos Interview Has Been Tape Recorded., which the interviewed person will have signed, says.....
                              "I understand that if I am charged or informed that I will be prosecuted, I am entitled to a copy of the tape(s)".

That would seem to mean only what it says. I wasn't charged, and received an NFA seven months ago.
                              I have a serious bee in my bonnet, and want a copy of my tapes now. Any experienced members got any facts? Can I get them? How can I get them?

JM
                              I couldn't imagine anything worse than sitting through hours of listening to myself being pummeled with intimate questions again..

I was so sure that you can "buy" them for a small charge even if you haven't been prosecuted, does it not mention this? I wish i hadn't chucked my copy of that away now!

Comment

Working...
                              X