Thoughts? Charges dropped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts? Charges dropped?

Hi after reading a lot on here I spoke with one of the frequently mentioned solicitors today. He said that plod are not interested in trying to view both sides, just to build a case. He said it seems many cases get to charge and then when other side comes out with defense eg bad character, case is dropped.

Anyone experienced this? That is enough to ruin lives but doesn't mean prison for innocent men.

Need some positive feedback please. Any statustics on actual convictions for historic claims? Feeling low. Allegations are ridiculous and I will post for advice when I have time. Thanks!

Sorry, also is there a way to find solicitors or barristers success rates? Much appreciated.
    Last edited by kiakaha; 25 April 2012, 03:12 AM. Reason: Typo

The best way to know more about a solicitor is to have a look on their website. They will usually have a list of successful cases. You could also google them to see if any high profile news stories come up.

If the solicitor has been mentioned on here, chances are, some people have dealt with them and could recommend. Can you name the firm please?

It can happen that cases are charged and that the case is then thrown out. It has happened with a couple of cases I know about. There are various reasons why this would happen and it usually involves extra digging and pressure from a good sol/barrister team.

It is still not the norm however, so you shouldn't bank on that.

Am I right in thinking that there are no charges as of yet in your case?
    "Be sure your sin will find you out"

Numbers 32:23

Comment

An afterthought re:cases being dropped.

Often the CPS will just be presented with the evidence that will aid prosecution. Any evidence that doesn't help them could then be put in the unused bundle, which the defendent is entitled to have access to.

As this solicitor you spoke to says, occasionally a judge may order a case thrown out when the full defense becomes known and it becomes clear that a charge should never have been brought.

In their haste to increase conviction rates, the plod often try and chance their luck and push through things that don't really have a huge chance of conviction.

Comment

Originally posted by kiakaha View Post
        Hi after reading a lot on here I spoke with one of the frequently mentioned solicitors today. He said that plod are not interested in trying to view both sides, just to build a case. He said it seems many cases get to charge and then when other side comes out with defense eg bad character, case is dropped.

Anyone experienced this? That is enough to ruin lives but doesn't mean prison for innocent men.

Need some positive feedback please. Any statustics on actual convictions for historic claims? Feeling low. Allegations are ridiculous and I will post for advice when I have time. Thanks!

Sorry, also is there a way to find solicitors or barristers success rates? Much appreciated.

Actually it DOES mean prison for innocent men. I've just come back from London after attending a failed appeal - the presiding judge read through several of the provable lies, inconsistencies and discrepancies for about an hour and then rejected the appeal without giving reasons and actually said they were not going to give reasons either.

How can we give you only positive feedback? Do you want us to lie? The truth is not always positive. You have to prepare for the worst case scenario because that does sometimes happen.
        People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

oh this is so true, think of the worse case and if anything better happens it will feel like a victory.

i just wish my hubby was thinkingthe same.

oh well another day another dollar and another fight in us.

Comment

We have experienced first handedly a one sided investigation, the police in our case have only been interested in collecting damming evidence for the prosecution.
            They are not impartial and are certainly not on our side.

As suggested by Faith, collect as much information as possible yourself to present to your solicitor NEVER giving any defence material to the police. Unfortunantly, we live in a world were innocent until proven guilty does not exsist in cases like ours.

As RF rightfully says innocent people do and have gone to prison for things they have not done. I was amazed when first finding this site how many people this accusation affects and does indeed distroy people's lives.

My family have been torn to pieces since my son was accused in January this year. The police have only been interested since day 1 in the 'victim' not looking at the lies and motive we have been able to provide.

Keep reading the posts on the forum, it has provided me with invaluable advice and there are fantastic people here who give their time in order to help others.

Comment

Originally posted by J&PVTHW View Post
              We have experienced first handedly a one sided investigation, the police in our case have only been interested in collecting damming evidence for the prosecution.
              They are not impartial and are certainly not on our side.
              I keep seeing this kind of statement over and over again on this board. I might move to England one day, because the one sided investigation here is on the accuser's side.
              Sorry about your son, although the rape between teens and young people should deserve a chapter of its own, because on both sides rape is something condoned or misunderstood (I had the horrible honour to read online posts of an English 16year old girl falsely accusing of rape a boy same age and she was joking about how much she had lied!! Awful, I wish I had her in my hands in order to strangle her!!!).

Anyway, believe me that's not true. Police aren't doing one sided investigations from the start, later on... it depends how much they fear to convict an innocent man or a rape victim.
              In my case, police were on my ex's side because of his job and a good reputation (a recent one though, because he had old allegations that the police conveniently forgot about).

Comment

The sad truth is that police have targets to hit set by the government to raise conviction rates of sexual offences.

They may well put a case through regardless of innocence of guilt but based on the ease and prospect of gaining a conviction. Meaning innocent men go to jail and real perpetrators get off free. It's like a lottery really that serves nobody.

Anyway, it's gone a little Sorry about that kiakaha

Comment

government issues

To raise another case in the list first need to clear all the government issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith View Post
                    The sad truth is that police have targets to hit set by the government to raise conviction rates of sexual offences.

They may well put a case through regardless of innocence of guilt but based on the ease and prospect of gaining a conviction. Meaning innocent men go to jail and real perpetrators get off free. It's like a lottery really that serves nobody.

Anyway, it's gone a little Sorry about that kiakaha

kiakaha???????????? Interpret please!

Comment

kia kaha means - be strong!
                      And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Oh right - what language? Don't answer I shall ask that nice Mr Google.....

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_kaha

Extract: Kia kaha is a Māori phrase used by both the Māori and Pākehā (European) people of New Zealand meaning stay strong, used as an affirmation. The phrase has significant meaning for both the Māori and Pākehā people: popularised through its usage by the 28th Māori Battalion during World War II, it is found in titles of books and songs, as well as a motto.

There we are I learned something new today!

Comment

Working...
                          X