Facing prison Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facing prison Tomorrow

I wont go into all the details at present but unfortunately my 70 yr old partner is facing a prison sentence tomorrow(plea bargaining due to historic sexual charges)to with he is immocent.
    Having never been in prison before and realising he will go there straight from court does he take some belonging with him. Ive found out from the internet that it seem you have to but he seems to think you get there and they give you prison clothes to wear(hopefully not with arrows. Can anyone help at short notice as dont want to make it any more upsetting for him . thankls

Dear letty,

One of the moderators, LS, has posted a sticky which answers your specific query regarding what to take with him to court:

Go to the home page of the forum, scroll down to the 'UK False Rape Accusation Issues' section; the stickies are in the first topic: 'Help and Advice: Falsely Accused of Rape'

Please come back and let us know how things are with you.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Thanks for the reply-need all the help I can get a.t.m.Will let yu know how things go.

Comment

I hope all goes well for you both letty. Please do let us know.
        And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

Originally posted by xxlettyxx View Post
          I wont go into all the details at present but unfortunately my 70 yr old partner is facing a prison sentence tomorrow(plea bargaining due to historic sexual charges)to with he is immocent.
          Having never been in prison before and realising he will go there straight from court does he take some belonging with him. Ive found out from the internet that it seem you have to but he seems to think you get there and they give you prison clothes to wear(hopefully not with arrows. Can anyone help at short notice as dont want to make it any more upsetting for him . thankls
          From Mouse,
          I have gone into this in detail as have others on the other threads, most important is writing materials, stamps and CASH. together with 2-3 pouches tobacco & papers even if doesn't smoke. Get him to write to FASO and other orgs if things go badly. Good luck

Comment

Hi Mouse

The OP was written a month ago and he is now inside unfortunately. As he pleaded guilty (for various reasons) then there will be little or no chance of appeal.
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Why plead guilty

This is a personal rant. If you are guilty then for goodness sake plead guilty and hold your hands up. If you are innocent then fight for your life and dont give up.
              Whatever you do don't go through the rigmorol of exhorting your innocence and then give in to a corrupt system that dangles a carrot in front of you to get you to plead guilty, often pressure is placed by legal team who probably realise you may not have a chance and it therefore saves them from having to work for their fat cheques or it saves on their flat rate legal fees. etc.
              If Guilty plead guilty immediately. If not say so and keep saying so.
              DON'T SIT ON THE BLOODY FENCE wasting peoples time.
              Once you have pleaded guilty you cannot change it or appeal. Saves money for those that need it.

Comment

He's 70 and doesn't want to die in prison - I suppose that is why he pleaded guilty.

Somebody who is known to FASO was falsely accused by his grandsons back in 2003 and he was found guilty and sent to prison. He was in his late-60's.

Two years ago after he had been released a couple of years a friend of the first set of liars came out of the woodwork - he was was then 74.

He was going to go to trial but on the first day, while in the conference room his friend standing outside heard the barrister YELLING at him to plead guilty to avoid a long sentence because the previous convictions would be put. After about 20 minutes of this haranguing our man agreed to plead guilty to two counts.

The judge initially gave him three years, changed his mind during the hearing and gave him 18 months (he had sentenced consecutively initially). He went back to prison and the sentence was appealed and this succeeded (as an act of Mercy) and he was out in about 6 months months.

He and his wife now live in fear of other friends of the accusers coming forward.

I went through the first lot of paperwork and could see this was a stitch-up but due to a **** defence he was convicted.

In the 2nd matter - prior to trial I went through the disclosure paperwork and had actually prepared an Abuse of Process argument as there were clearly serious discrepancies between the accuser's and his cohort's witness statements.

Due to the bolshy barrister, who probably had a better paid case to go to, our man was forced to plead guilty because of the previous - the jury would have heard that and ignored the rest of the evidence.

He is not the only person to be in this sort of a situation. Margaret from FASO will know who I am talking about.

Having said all this - I cannot for the life of me understand younger people who claim to be innocent but plead guilty to attract a lesser sentence.
                Last edited by Rights Fighter; 7 May 2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Pleading Guilty

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                  He's 70 and doesn't want to die in prison - I suppose that is why he pleaded guilty.

Somebody who is known to FASO was falsely accused by his grandsons back in 2003 and he was found guilty and sent to prison. He was in his late-60's.

Two years ago after he had been released a couple of years a friend of the first set of liars came out of the woodwork - he was was then 74.

He was going to go to trial but on the first day, while in the conference room his friend standing outside heard the barrister YELLING at him to plead guilty to avoid a long sentence because the previous convictions would be put. After about 20 minutes of this haranguing our man agreed to plead guilty to two counts.

The judge initially gave him three years, changed his mind during the hearing and gave him 18 months (he had sentenced consecutively initially). He went back to prison and the sentence was appealed and this succeeded (as an act of Mercy) and he was out in about 6 months months.

He and his wife now live in fear of other friends of the accusers coming forward.

I went through the first lot of paperwork and could see this was a stitch-up but due to a **** defence he was convicted.

In the 2nd matter - prior to trial I went through the disclosure paperwork and had actually prepared an Abuse of Process argument as there were clearly serious discrepancies between the accuser's and his cohort's witness statements.

Due to the bolshy barrister, who probably had a better paid case to go to, our man was forced to plead guilty because of the previous - the jury would have heard that and ignored the rest of the evidence.

He is not the only person to be in this sort of a situation. Margaret from FASO will know who I am talking about.

Having said all this - I cannot for the life of me understand younger people who claim to be innocent but plead guilty to attract a lesser sentence.
                  Mouse,
                  I'm sorry if I gave any impression that I was being specific and in the case you mention I can understand. I was generalising knowing from my own experience the number of people particularly in prison who claimed they were innocent when it was so obvious they were as guilty as sin and the waste in finances an resources could be put to better use. I was innocent and I will keep maintaining my innocence even though it has cost me dear over the years I will eventually go to CCRC again although I know it will be a total waste of time under present system & will gain me little my age even if it wasn't. Busy day tomos so I'm going for a walk & then an early night.

Comment

I know you weren't referring to the above case - I just thought that it should be mentioned as there really are people in that situation.

I, like you, get very angry with people who claim to be innocent but are not. I have wasted hours, not to mention my own money visiting people on legal visits only to find on reading the paperwork that there is more to their "innocence" than they are letting on. Some have done some of it but not all of it - in my view they are time wasters too.

I am happy to help you with your CCRC application. You have my email address.

Have a lovely walk while the weather is holding out and a good time away. x

Comment

MOUSE,
                      I am breaking my heart reading your comments.You are probably just saying what everyone else thinks. I myself would have been one of the "dont plead guilty unless you are "brigade.
                      We found this site a little late , and looking back I wish we hadnt gone along with the legal advice we were given.
                      Basically, he plea bargained and it back fired to say the least.
                      I'm too upset to go into details atm but please dont ever judge people.Until you are in that position never say never.
                      All I know is the man I love is going to die in a prison.I feel as if Im the one who has been raped-by the whole of British justice.

Comment

I've been raped and I've also seen a friend falsely accused of it so I can see both sides of the issue.

I'm also a passionate supporter of prisoner's rights and two friends of mine were sent to prison and so badly treated in there they tried to kill themselves.

Please try to keep your humanity.

You say he is going to die in there? How long a stretch has he got?

Best advice is keep your head down, don't get noticed and stick up for yourself if you absolutely have to.

Don't trust the screws either.
                        Kindness is the most important thing.
                        After that maybe sincerity.
                        Be true to yourself.
                        A condemnation out of ignorance is always unjust.

Comment

Letty - I have PM'd you

Comment

Working...
                          X