Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On fortunately not being in the wrong place at the right time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On fortunately not being in the wrong place at the right time...

I wasn't sure where else to put this, this story is hardly uplifting enough for General Discussion although it is funny in a awful sort of way. Anyway, any required aplogies tendered in advance...

To set the scene, I live on a small estate, mostly bungalows, set between a (infrequently used) railway line and a large, partly wooded, common. We do have a neighbourhood watch scheme and in the latest newsletter that was issued yesterday there was a paragraph about a serious sexual assault which had occurred on the railway line in the early hours of the morning about three weeks ago. According to the police statement the perpetrator had apparently emerged from one of the gardens and afterwards had disappeared into one of our gardens and presumed to have been heading for the common.

Now my garden borders the railway line but I knew nothing about all this until I read about it in the newsletter, as by good fortune and God's grace, we were away for a week bracketing the date the attack took place. I am still quaking at what my reaction might been to the surprise early morning knock on the door; "Excuse me sir, can you help us with our enquiries into a serious sexual assault?"

Obviously I may still get the call if no perpetrator has yet been apprehended, as my arrest details are very firmly on file, but at least now I will be forewarned. Mrs CH has in fact just told me that a man in a suit did come to the door two Saturdays ago while I was out, but she hid up because she thought he was a Jehovah's Witness

My so-called friend, who I have already shared this tale with, has kindly pointed that the numerous bramble and hawthorn scratch injuries, that I always have from my twice weekly vegetation clearance duties on the railway, should immediately arouse suspicion in any alert officer
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

we only had a knock once - they came to the door and demanded he showed them his forearms in the doorway in full view of the street- we found out later that the bloke they wanted should have had a bite mark ...........

it later turned out that the girl had lied anyway ..........

.... and now its no longer my worry or problem!!
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

This very situation is something that is always at the back of my (and R's) mind. It hasn't happened in the past 7 years, so I know there is no real need to worry, but it does lurk at the back of my head.

Unfortunately Jehovah's Witnesses usually work in pairs, so the Man In The Suit could well have been plod. Although he could just as easily have been a double glazing salesman - they tend to work alone. (I am an expert in these matters since I work from home and my computer desk is in full view of the front windows so they can see that I am in!)

You have a cast-iron alibi though - you were away for the week when the attack took place. No amount of bramble scratches can change that. Long sleeves would be an advantage though!

Comment

Working...
      X