the hidden cost of being raped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the hidden cost of being raped

An article in the daily mail newspaper today has printed a story, from a woman's group called Ultra Violet highlighting the economic and psychological trolls of rape,it goes through cost of medical expenses,loss of earnings or potential earnings,and how it affects them. Well the falsely accused goes through the same if not more. Why do most people when they hear the words I've been believe the accuser,there's support,in some cases compensation,and a hatred for the accused,who have to cope with clearing their name,can lose family,friends,in some cases their homes and jobs even before it gets to court. Don't the falsely accused suffer the same hidden cost.

Sadly the accused get very little sympathy even when they are acquitted/found not guilty. The media focus on the low conviction rates and hammer that home most of the time.

I think unless you are involved in a case or have a direct interest in this area then you tend not to even think about the people on the other side who many will be totally innocent, I know I was before my ordeal.

Comment

I happened to be listening to Jeremy Vine on radio 2 yesterday and he had Paul Gambaccini on. I was pleased to hear anyone talk about false allegations on national radio. He spoke of his last year of hell and expressed a few opinions of the cps etc and the bias process. It's probably on the iplayer still. Worth a listen. Only down side is it was relatively short and I felt it deserved a much longer airing for full discussion. Either way I felt like there was a voice in our corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Wifeofaninnocentman View Post
        I happened to be listening to Jeremy Vine on radio 2 yesterday and he had Paul Gambaccini on. I was pleased to hear anyone talk about false allegations on national radio. He spoke of his last year of hell and expressed a few opinions of the cps etc and the bias process. It's probably on the iplayer still. Worth a listen. Only down side is it was relatively short and I felt it deserved a much longer airing for full discussion. Either way I felt like there was a voice in our corner.
        Yes, I listened to that too.
        It needed more emphasis, was way too short.
        I thought it was a stunt to plug his book but he is really annoyed with what happened (rightly so) and that came across.
        He was treated the same way many here have been treated and highlighted the biased way these things are investigated!
        I too recommend a listen if its still available!
        YoH

Comment

Originally posted by edinguy View Post
          I think unless you are involved in a case or have a direct interest in this area then you tend not to even think about the people on the other side who many will be totally innocent, I know I was before my ordeal.
          Word! I used to believe every rape claim made because i thought no woman would ever lie about a serious matter like this, not that there arent malicious damgerous women out there, i just thought none of "us" would ever in any way harm true victims of rape by making false claims, well i was wrong.
          Also i used to have total faith in our system of justice that 1. All evidence would be handed over to the cps and 2. The cps would not prosecute a person they had strong evidence was not guilty. Well I was wrong.

Comment

hi

Originally posted by thisisinsane View Post
            Word! I used to believe every rape claim made because i thought no woman would ever lie about a serious matter like this, not that there arent malicious damgerous women out there, i just thought none of "us" would ever in any way harm true victims of rape by making false claims, well i was wrong.
            Also i used to have total faith in our system of justice that 1. All evidence would be handed over to the cps and 2. The cps would not prosecute a person they had strong evidence was not guilty. Well I was wrong.
            Forget where I read this, but I think it was in Australia when they stopped the victim compensation scheme accusations dropped by 50%! We all know there are genuine victims out there and my heart goes out to them, but the financial incentive should be taken away to stop those making claims for monetary gain.

Comment

Working...
            X