Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbara Hewson Believe the Victim : A recipe for injustice

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13842397055486
    The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.

St Augustine

This is so true especially (from personal experience!):

When the listener is eager to hear more, gratitude for support may impel the young person to… find ever more dramatic memories to recount.’
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Originally posted by Casehardened View Post
      This is so true especially (from personal experience!):

When the listener is eager to hear more....’
      Who are these people who want to hear more and more and why is that ???

Excellent view-point from Barbara Hewson. - I'm glad she refers to people who make claims of abuse ( prior to have been tested in court) as claimants and not 'victims'.

If we started calling the colour green 'red'... we could prove that autumn is coming earlier and earlier and that the impact of global warming is indeed reaching dramatic proportions.

Comment

Originally posted by whatsgoingon? View Post
        Who are these people who want to hear more and more and why is that ???

Excellent view-point from Barbara Hewson. - I'm glad she refers to people who make claims of abuse ( prior to have been tested in court) as claimants and not 'victims'.

If we started calling the colour green 'red'... we could prove that autumn is coming earlier and earlier and that the impact of global warming is indeed reaching dramatic proportions.
        My god, are you trying to encourage an 'eco-warrior' to come on here and start telling us all that global warming is more than just a scam to extract more money and labour from us?

You should be taking an informed 'climate neutral' stance whereby you don't accept or deny it and just get on with your life. Don't accept it but don't allow yourself to be branded as a 'denier'....

Pulling your leg of course... I'm sure the rain we're experiencing tonight is most certainly down to the fact I left that big bad car running for 5 mins today and broke wind a few times in my sleep the other night there...................

As for the lady and her opinion. It's quite refreshing to read other peoples opinions and see different points of view. Thank you.
        Wow... A signature option!

Comment

Hi L1, Glad to see you're back on form!
          Actually my rant was more to do with calling a spade a spade and not a fork. If the word 'victim' is used to mean 'complainant' isn't that , in effect, falsifying evidence?

Comment

Not if it's not in the context of evidence..... as blogs are not....
            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

I was thinking more in general terms and referring to the current practice of calling a complainant a victim and the perversion of that term. Surely, a person can only be called a victim once a crime has been established. As it seems that this is often decided in the courts in these cases how can the person be called 'the victim' before this has been proved? As the term is used in all the statements etc. and in court prior and during the trial and the jury are basing their verdict on the evidence given, surely this corruption of the English language can lead to a corruption of the law ? Could it be called perversion of the course of justice?
              If we are to accept the term 'victim' to mean 'complainant', what do you call a 'victim' once it has been proved in court that there was no crime? ()
              Last edited by whatsgoingon?; 5 January 2014, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I agree with what you are saying - it is one of my pet peeves that complainants are often referred to as 'victims' in the press and in blogs when referring to cases where there has been no conviction and/or admittance of guilt.

However, merely using the word 'victim(s)' in a news article or blog doesn't make that 'evidence' - it's just an article/blog - not evidence or falsification of evidence in court.
                People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Thank you Frightened Spouse for enlightening with this article. I find it sick that by law my accuser was labelled the 'victim' despite the fact that there was no evidence to prove or even suggest otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                  X