Former magistrate cleared of rape sues his accuser for £300,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former magistrate cleared of rape sues his accuser for £300,000

A former magistrate cleared of rape has launched a landmark legal claim for £300,000 damages against his accuser.
    Anthony Hunt, 66, was jailed in 2003 for after a jury found him guilty of raping a woman in her home after they both attended a flower show.
    He spent nearly two years on a prison sex offender's wing before his conviction was overturned.
    Now in a legal first, Mr Hunt wants to 'vindicate his reputation' by bringing a claim of malicious prosecution against the woman who alleged rape.

Critics say that if the bid succeeds, it could have far-reaching consequences as to whether rape gets reported to the police.

They argue it will deter rape complainants from giving evidence - out of fear they may be sued if their alleged attackers are found not guilty.

Mark Warby QC, representing Mr Hunt, however, said the move offered a vital legal remedy to those wrongly accused of rape.

Mr Warby said: 'It is 14 years ago to the day that my client had sex with the defendant with her consent at her home at the age of 52.

'It was nearly seven years afterwards that he was arrested and first learned of her allegation of rape.

'He was prosecuted and, on a majority verdict, convicted, but his conviction was held unsafe by the Court of Appeal Criminal Division and was quashed.'

'He's brought this action to vindicate himself, not only because the conviction was unsafe.

'It was a miscarriage of justice and he is suing his accuser for damages.'
    Mr Hunt - who was jailed for four years - did not face a retrial as he had served 23 months and 18 days of his sentence in prison - nearly the full amount required before release.

His conviction was overturned after the Appeal Court ruled the trial judge had misdirected the jury.

Claims of malicious prosecution are normally brought against public bodies such as the Crown Prosecution Service which prosecute in the vast majority of cases.

But Mr Hunt argued that, by giving a witness statement to Hampshire constabulary in May 2002, Mr Hunt's accuser was effectively responsible for the prosecution - and should stand trial in a civil court.

The argument was rejected last year at the High Court, but now three Law Lords at the Appeal Court are deciding whether to give the go-ahead to a trial for malicious prosecution.

Mr Warby told Lords Justices Sedley, Wall and Moore-Bick that Mr Hunt was entitled to a fair trial of the issues - whether AB effectively brought the prosecution - and whether she lied.

He argued that Mr Justice Blake in the High Court had wrongly ruled against Mr Hunt by taking into account 'public policy' issues - that the 'floodgates would open' if those cleared of rape could bring malicious prosecution cases against their accusers.

Mr Justice Blake also wrong considered whether rape was actually committed which Mr Warby said was a matter for a jury rather than a High Court judge.

But Roger ter Haar, for AB, said: 'On the one hand if Mr Hunt's story is true, he has been subject to an enormous injustice.

'He's been to prision in circumstances where he should not have been.
    'On the other hand, from my client's point of view, she's not only been the victim of rape, and had to deal with the psychological consequences of that, but she has also had to deal with the police investigation, which in the circumstances of this case cannot have been easy.'

Mr Ter Haar added that if the judges were to find in Mr Hunt's favour 'It would be a massive in road into the principle of witness immunity.

'In any case where it is one person's word against the other, witness immunity will be removed.'

At Mr Hunt's Winchester Crown Court trial for rape, jurors heard that the complainant, a special constable, had invited him into her home for a cup of tea after the Fordingbridge Show in 1995.

Mr Hunt, whose civilian job was as a senior traffic warden, claimed he could not have raped his accuser as his manhood was 'abnormally small' and he could only have had sex with consent.

But the jury convicted him by a majority of 10-2.

The court heard that Mr Hunt's wife, Lynn, had suffered acute embarrassment working at her antique shop near the couple's home in Blandford St Mary, Dorset.

The case, listed for two days, will continue on Friday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1199909/Man-cleared-rape-sues-accuser-300-000.html#ixzz0LPGwHcUY
    And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

what really stood out to me was the fact that the accused was a former magistrate. he wants to clear his reputation? that's what makes the story more interesting.

after all he has been through and what he put his wife through, why go through more torture?
    cleared or not cleared, whatever. it will still be heard he was accused of rape. so what is the point?
    when my huband gets released, we will not be staying in the same city, probably not even stay in the country. who the hell wants something like this hanging over their heads!?

Comment

He went through it to clear his name and show others to fight the injustice of being wrongly accused.

Hopefully the thought of being caught will put off people from making false accusations and should they do so, be caught and punished.
      And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then made the world round .... and laughed and laughed and laughed ..

Comment

i'm finding it hard to get my head round cos a criminal court goes on "beyond reasonable doubt" whereas civil is based on a "balance of probabilities" (unless i'm mistaken?) so unless she has been found to have perverted the course of justice/found guilty of perjury then how can he seek compensation? she (currently) hasn't been found guilty of lying so he is seeking compensation for something which hasn't been proved. surely he should be seeking compensation from the cps because of the biased judge, or else trying to get her prosecuted in criminal court first?
        "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Originally posted by kskc View Post
          what really stood out to me was the fact that the accused was a former magistrate. he wants to clear his reputation? that's what makes the story more interesting.

after all he has been through and what he put his wife through, why go through more torture?
          cleared or not cleared, whatever. it will still be heard he was accused of rape. so what is the point?
          when my huband gets released, we will not be staying in the same city, probably not even stay in the country. who the hell wants something like this hanging over their heads!?

kskc, what has he put his wife through, if he is innocent? It is the accuser, if she is lying, not her husband who put her through the torture of the case.

Friday I agree with what you say. His appeal succeeded on a misdirection from the judge in summing up the case, which is a technicality. However, there must have been something else otherwise a retrial would have been called - unless he had already served his time.
          People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Originally posted by RFLH View Post
            'It was a miscarriage of justice and he is suing his accuser for damages.'
            Mr Hunt - who was jailed for four years - did not face a retrial as he had served 23 months and 18 days of his sentence in prison - nearly the full amount required before release.
            seems that was the reason there was no retrial but that means he wasn't found not guilty by jury but because of judges mistake. surely a jury would have to find him not guilty AND her guilty for it to make any sense to pursue a civil claim? maybe i'm wrong but for all the flaws of the "justice" system i thought that the only remaining grace was that everyone was judged by the same rediculous laws (thus to prosecute for perjury it would also have to be "beyond reasonable doubt")

i'm babbling...take very little notice of me...
            "I dreamt I went to the doctor's and she gave me eight minutes to live. I'd been sitting in the f**king waiting room half an hour." Sarah Kane (4.48 Psychosis)

Comment

Originally posted by friday View Post
              seems that was the reason there was no retrial but that means he wasn't found not guilty by jury but because of judges mistake. surely a jury would have to find him not guilty AND her guilty for it to make any sense to pursue a civil claim? maybe i'm wrong but for all the flaws of the "justice" system i thought that the only remaining grace was that everyone was judged by the same rediculous laws (thus to prosecute for perjury it would also have to be "beyond reasonable doubt")

i'm babbling...take very little notice of me...

Thanks for picking out the extract. My brain is not firing on all cylinders at the moment as I am helping with an appeal against conviction and also moving, so under a great deal of stress at the moment.

If a person is found not guilty by a jury they cannot go on to find the complainant guilty. If the Crown decide that it is in the public interest to prosecute her that is done much later. It has to be provable that she lied - unlike the case for the defendant who in many instances cannot prove himself innocent (which he has to do regardless of "innocent until proved guilty").

We don't know the whole story in the above case so I certainly cannot comment whether he is right to attempt a prosecution or try to sue her for making false allegations. I don't know whether he was falsely accused or not.I only know what I have read the paper and often the media get details wrong.

Comment

A FORMER traffic warden cleared of rape has renewed a legal bid to bring a £300,000 damages claim against his accuser for malicious prosecution.

Anthony Hunt, 66, was in court to hear his lawyer tell civil appeal judges that he wanted to “vindicate his reputation” by obtaining a judgment against the woman, referred to only as AB.

He was convicted after a two-week trial at Winchester Crown Court during which he claimed he was incapable of rape because he had an abnormally small penis which, together with medical problems, meant that intercourse could only be a mutual act.

Mr Hunt was accused of raping the woman after he had finished his stint of duty at the Fordingbridge Show in July 1995, although she made no formal complaint until eight years later.

He was released on appeal in December 2005 after judges branded the conviction unsafe, ruling that the trial judge had misdirected the jury.
                Mark Warby QC, representing Mr Hunt, said no retrial was ordered because his client, a former senior traffic warden, of Blandford St Mary, Dorset, had already served two years of his four-year prison sentence.

But his civil action against the woman was blocked last October by a High Court judge who held that his accuser was not his “prosecutor”
                because the case against him was brought by the Crown Prosecution Service. Mr Hunt had argued that, by giving a statement to Hampshire police in May 2002, and by agreeing to give evidence against him, AB became the prosecutor.

Her lawyers referred to evidence showing her reluctance to disclose the incident, even less to prosecute over it.

Mr Warby told the Court of Appeal that Mr Hunt was entitled to a fair trial of the issues of whether AB effectively brought the prosecution – and whether she lied.

He argued that, in deciding the legal question of whether AB was the prosecutor, Mr Justice Blake in the High Court wrongly took into account wider issues such as public policy and whether a rape was committed – a matter which could only be decided at a full trial of the action.
                Proceeding

Comment

Ah! So the fact he was not well endowed and the only way penile penetration could be managed would be by consent only.

So the complainant lied. This was a false allegation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                    kskc, what has he put his wife through, if he is innocent? It is the accuser, if she is lying, not her husband who put her through the torture of the case.

Friday I agree with what you say. His appeal succeeded on a misdirection from the judge in summing up the case, which is a technicality. However, there must have been something else otherwise a retrial would have been called - unless he had already served his time.
                    hello, i'm sorry i mean how he was being unfaithful. to have all these personal details read out in court. for me it was too much.
                    i wouldn't be strong enough to go back to court and claim for compensation off the girl who has taken my hubby away from me just. the public, police, courts, judge etc just seem to immediately believe the accuser's side of things no matter what. this former magistrate has been cleared but it will still be on record of what he was accused of, won't it?
                    i don't think it will give these people a second thought to falsely accusing someone because they will know everyone will immediately sympathise with them no matter what.
                    i believe no good can come out of it at the end of the day. there's no hope.

Comment

I don't know that he was married at the time of the alleged offence? If he was then it is very sad for her. But then of course people who falsely accused people of rape should be held accountable.

It's not his wife who is going back to court but the accused who has now been vindicated.

It is not necessarily that the girl took him away from his wife - he had the choice to say "no". Wives who choose to believe that another woman took their husband/partner away are actually "blaming" the wrong person.

If husband cheats with another woman then it is his "fault".

That aside, I think that this case will have a serious effect on somebody who has been abused coming forward to get justice. It is very difficult.

If "the authorities" took away financial compensation for sexual abuse and substituted it with top notch therapy and if "the authorities" punished those who were proven to make false allegations, then such false allegations would greatly decrease. The police would not be forced to up their conviction rates and they would investigate the allegations properly.

Comment

it may be that i dont understand medical matters but how does having a small penis mean he could only have consensual sex?

i also find it insane that he is suing her for £300,000 when someone who is raped gets £11,000. again it seems that the system is never fair or equal. double standards all over the place.

if he did rape her then the poor woman has suffered two miscarriages of justice. if she lied then of course she should be punished but only under the same guidelines as he was prosecuted under.

the cps dont bother prosecuting perjury that often because of the cost etc but its not just the falsesly accused who dont get justice when someone has lied. i am an example of that. when the guy who raped me lied under oath and i could prove it was a lie (and it was a major one that meant the trial was a joke) they said the cps wouldnt fund it cos he would just say he made a mistake, was confused etc.

Comment

ha! Yes, the old "confused" chestnut! Our accuser went to the police saying she had been raped. she then (a week later) contacted them to say that she hadn't been raped, but indecently assaulted. The opening words of her statement were (verbatim) "I am here because I woke up to find a colleague lying on top of me having sex with me to which I did not consent or ask for." In court she went on to say that at no point did he lie on top of her, but was sitting next to her while she lay on the bed. Our barrister didn;t even bother to bring this up in court, because apparently all she would have to say was that she was "confused".

Yep, our "justice" system is riddled with INjustices on both sides.

Comment

Believe me if a man is not well endowed I know from experiences that the only way to have intercourse is for the woman to do all she can to "accommodate" him. If she is not consenting then that won't happen.

Comment

but maybe if he was a rapist the situation would be enough to get him off. a lot of rapists (or so i have read) are people who feel sexually inadequate. i dunno, i really can't get my head around anatomy.

Comment

Working...
                              X