Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

delays, delays and finally new court date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delays, delays and finally new court date!

hello, i havent signed in a while.

my husband is still in prison on remand, been 6 months now and still no trial yet. we did have one scheduled for one back in march but it got delayed. now we have another date set in a few weeks time.

i am so nervous. i've been called as a witness.

can anyone tell me what it's like to be in court as a witness?

how do i address the jury and judge?

if i can't remember something or dont know the answer to somethin will i get put in cells??!!

what is it like??

someone help!

thanks

You can ask for witness support if you really feel you cannot cope. I seem to remember you saying that you would be called by the Crown, so you need to tell them that you will require moral support and they should arrange for a volunteer witness support person to sit with you while you wait to give evidence. They may stay with you through the rest of the time you are there, depending on whether they are required elsewhere.

the judge is addressed as "Your Honour" although I doubt you will be called upon to address him/her.

You do not address the jury as anything. When you are being questioned, you should face the jury and answer to them, as though it is they who have asked the question. Obviously, they do not speak to you, they do not ask you questions. That is the job of defence and/or Crown counsel.

So the barrister will ask the question, you turn to the jury and answer the question. Speak as though you are having a conversation with them.

Try to only answer the question you have been asked and don't go into any great detail unless requested to do so.

You will not be put into the cells if you cannot answer a question. You just say "I do not know the answer to that question".

Only if you are in contempt of court will there be a chance of being put into a cell. You would be warned about that before it happened anyway. This is not going to happen as you are eager to to "perform" properly.

You will not have to sit outside the court room all the time. You can go to the cafeteria and get a cuppa. If you are required then it will be announced over the tannoy. Usually it's along the lines of "will all parties in the matter of XYZ (name) please report to court 123456789 (whatever number court room it is).

Try not to worry. Get to the Court building early. Find out which court room you will be in and go and find it so you know where it is. Find out where the nearest ladies loo is and most importantly, the cafeteria!
    People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Working...
    X